.177 OR .22

CoolColonna

I am currently in the process of purchasing a Falcon Prairie C.

I have yet to decide whether to get it in .117 or .22, i know that .177 is more accurate and travels faster yet its not as heavy as the .22, will this affect the kill on the rabbits. .22 is heavier, less accurate but still a little unsure on killing power, the .22 has more shots per fill on the falcon than the .177

Baring in mind that this air rifle is going to be used for killing rabbits i would much appreciate to hear your views.

Many thanks and please give me your point of view.

I am currently in the process of purchasing a Falcon Prairie C.

I have yet to decide whether to get it in .117 or .22, i know that .177 is more accurate and travels faster yet its not as heavy as the .22, will this affect the kill on the rabbits. .22 is heavier, less accurate but still a little unsure on killing power, the .22 has more shots per fill on the falcon than the .177

Baring in mind that this air rifle is going to be used for killing rabbits i would much appreciate to hear your views.

Many thanks and please give me your point of view.

There are quite a few threads on this subject so it's worth searching the archive for previous posts.

Also, .22 is not less accurate than .177, it's just that the pellet 'drop' is greater so you have to be able to judge distance much more accurately so as to decide where to aim. .177 is more forgiving on that front and will kill just as cleanly as .22 if you hit the right places. It is said that .22 hits harder, but in reality that just means that the pellet will not over penetrate, where as sometimes .177 pellets can (especially the harder, heavier pellets), so all of the energy is transfered to a single area.

Anyway, in short, both calibers will do the job. It's just a matter of preference.

The shot count won't make much difference unless you are hoping to shoot more than 40 bunnies in an evening!