Anschutz 1417 problems?

Birx

I'm considering buying a new Anschutz 1417 with a sporter stock, but have read various articles about them having problems with the bolt not sitting properly/being easily knocked, and causing misfires, and also that they have issues ejecting spent cartridges.

Most of the articles do seem to be quite dated and I'm wondering if these issues have been resolved.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who knows.

Thanks...

I have had the same gun now for over 7yrs shot 1000's of rounds through it never had a problem with miss fires or ejecting spent or unfired cartridges..

As for the bolt i shoot out of the motor most of the time and occasionally

it is easy to catch the bolt and lift it when that happens its like a misfire but you just have to close it down again to cock no problem what ever... :good: :good: :good:

I have the thumbhole .22LR version of this gun, and so far I have not had the bolt lift. I was told it can sometimes happen when walking with the gun on a sling, and that it can go unnoticed when you raise the gun to take a shot.

I've never had a ejection problem either.

Can't remember how long I've had mine, possibly 10 years. Just checked the cabinet to make sure it was still there and no one had nicked it as I recognise all those problems. Plus one more that you didn't mention; failing to extract unfired cartridges. This latter does not affect me, but my oppo and it happened again yesterday - you just have to fire it off.

However, cleaning thoroughly the slots either side of the rear of the chamber and, in particular, under the extractor claws (even removing the spring clip to remove the claws, making sure that you put them back from whence they came - have a look at the business end, is one pointed and one rounded?) sorts it all out.

I'm considering buying a new Anschutz 1417 with a sporter stock, but have read various articles about them having problems with the bolt not sitting properly/being easily knocked, and causing misfires, and also that they have issues ejecting spent cartridges.

Most of the articles do seem to be quite dated and I'm wondering if these issues have been resolved.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who knows.

Thanks...

Just buy it had mine for years never had a misfire imho best rimfire out there.

Have put thousands of rounds through my Anschutz hmr and can only describe it as an utterly accurate and reliable gun.

I have never had a problem ejecting rounds. Maybe the people who have had a problem are using tight or unsuitable ammunition or don't keep their guns clean.

It is possible to accidentally knock the bolt and lift it slightly and in that position it will not fire, just re-set it and carry on, no big deal.

My only criticism of the gun is that it is very difficult to operate the bolt without generating a "click" sound which is quite loud in the silence of the dead of night.

I agree the the CZ is excellent (with trigger mod). I have both. The Anschutz is more refined and better build quality but I am happy shooting either and in practical terms there is nothing much to choose between them as a hunting weapon.

My Anschutz is factory 14" and CZ's factory 16" and factory 20" - shorter is better - much more manueverable - same accuracy.

I have the thumbhole .22LR version of this gun, and so far I have not had the bolt lift. I was told it can sometimes happen when walking with the gun on a sling, and that it can go unnoticed when you raise the gun to take a shot.

I've never had a ejection problem either.

I've got the same rifle. Best I've owned by a country mile. I've found mine to be quite ammo fussy though and it hates any type of CCI.

I agree that in practical useage terms a CZ is an excellent choice but please don't keep peddling the idea that CZ is hugely cheaper than Anschutz.

Shop around and look for a good deal. I bought my Anschutz after the pound hit rock bottom and after CZ went from being cheap to expensive as the Euro went silly and Eastern Block prices rocketed. Consequently funny things happened to dealers stocks and my 14" Annie was only marginally more expensive than a CZ. I went on to buy a couple of CZ's as well, a few months later, as I could not then find a sensibly priced Anschutz.

Just see what your dealer can do for you. I got mine at "The Barn Shop" near Royston in Hertfordshire.

For the shooting he will be doing the CZ is a spot on rifle!! no need to spend all that money on a Anschutz when a CZ shoots just as well out the box, spend your money on the scope mate!

That's why?

a ford mondeo will get you from a to b that does not make it the only car to buy,if he is looking at an annie it is probaly because he does not want a cz i am sure he knows they exist,they are good for the money but there are other more refined options.

I have both a CZ (.17HMR) and an Annie (.22LR) and there is no doubt the Annie is a better made gun. It is true they both shoot well for what I want out of them.

I got the Annie complete with a moderator and sling second hand, and feel I am at no disadvantage from not buying new. That saved a lot of money!

For the shooting he will be doing the CZ is a spot on rifle!! no need to spend all that money on a Anschutz when a CZ shoots just as well out the box

And the cheapest rustiest Baikal will group pellets just as well as your pair of Beretta's and the Brownings yet you spunked a huge amount of cash on four shot guns :lol:

They are a good quality budget gun-nothing more and nothing less. Anschutz are over priced IMO as the quality of wood has become a joke but they are a joy to shoot.

The only person I know who has the bolt issue has comically large hands and so knocks the bolt a lot, mine has never done it mainly because I leave the bolt in the 3/4 up position until ready to fire as its safer than a trigger mechanism safety.

a ford mondeo will get you from a to b that does not make it the only car to buy,if he is looking at an annie it is probaly because he does not want a cz i am sure he knows they exist,they are good for the money but there are other more refined options.

Well put about the Mondeo!!!! but seeing it's me that started him off shooting and knowing his budget and knowing what sort of shooting he will be doing with it! A CZ will be the best choice of Rifle for him! we will be out most weekends shooting anything up to 100 rabbits a night, bouncing around in golf buggies and 4x4's, having a annie that gets knocked about may be a bit of top kit not needed when what you need is a tool to do a job, and that if it gets knocked your not crying all the way to the bank!!!!!

Annie of course would be my number 1 bye!!! but the way i go through 22lrs a CZ that shoots spot on out to 80yards will do me just fine as it will do Mark.

SGS

Edited by Shotgunspud

And the cheapest rustiest Baikal will group pellets just as well as your pair of Beretta's and the Brownings yet you spunked a huge amount of cash on four shot guns :lol:

No Beretta's passed down the ranks along with my other new pair.

Brownings Spunked the money on................. but then again, don't want to be out there shooting pheasants with a Heep of s##t now do i LOL. :lol: :lol:

No Beretta's passed down the ranks along with my other new pair.

Brownings Spunked the money on................. but then again, don't want to be out there shooting pheasants with a Heep of s##t now do i LOL. :lol: :lol:

I just can't see the difference, I shoot game with second hand old Miruku s/s and don't get any comments. I spend a hell of a lot more time shooting rabbits and foxes and so don't want to be out lamping with a heap of shiite.

Each to his own I guess ;)

Well put about the Mondeo!!!! but seeing it's me that started him off shooting and knowing his budget and knowing what sort of shooting he will be doing with it! A CZ will be the best choice of Rifle for him! we will be out most weekends shooting anything up to 100 rabbits a night, bouncing around in golf buggies and 4x4's, having a annie that gets knocked about may be a bit of top kit not needed when what you need is a tool to do a job, and that if it gets knocked your not crying all the way to the bank!!!!!

Annie of course would be my number 1 bye!!! but the way i go through 22lrs a CZ that shoots spot on out to 80yards will do me just fine as it will do Mark.

SGS

fair comment,but annies are not that much more than a cz and if you sell it you lose less money so it may even work out cheaper.

i would say to the op if you want one buy one ,they are class rifles,a cz will do the job ,but it is what it is.

most importantly buy a rifle and go shoot some bunnies. :good:

I just can't see the difference, I shoot game with second hand old Miruku s/s and don't get any comments. I spend a hell of a lot more time shooting rabbits and foxes and so don't want to be out lamping with a heap of shiite.

Each to his own I guess ;)

Agree with what you are saying BUT!!

I have always found the CZ out of the box a very tidy rifle I take 1,000+ rabbits a year with mine and yes not top end rifle but put a descent scope on it! you have a bang on rabbit killer..

Each to his own I guess :good:

refined? a term subject to user opinion, often guided by heavilly by the price tag rather than extra quality. Talking of cars, did you know the Trooper sold very poorly when it first came into the country? against the early disco and shogun (which were still very agricultural at the time) it was the better buy. Anyway the marketing people desided they should raise the price and hence it's quality status. The result? they rolled out of those showrooms to such an extent that waiting lists became the norm.

Now tell me you get what you pay for or something? because twenty odd years in sales and marketing says you don't always, it just depends on were you can slot into the market place that exists.

Personally i should do as suggested buy a CZ and spend more of the budjet on the scope, because an annie just cant shoot better than a cz but a leupold, S+Bender etc does offer better clarity and reliability over these plasic lens, IR, side paralax, balistic reticule,rangefinding, phone for a curry, make you a cup of coffee scopes we see today. If you cant see them you can't shoot them!