Anschutz 1417 problems?

Birx

Money aside, if you put a CZ and an Annie infront of me an said 'pick your rifle' id have the Annie every single time. If you said funds are limited an the Annie wasn't an option you'd have the CZ everytime!

Very well put.

Kent also has a point but it is a bit waffly :yes:

He is right to say that a good scope is highly desirable but scope quality v price is even trickier than rifle quality. A £2000 scope is certainly not 10x better than a £200 scope and I have drunk some excellent lower priced wines and some rubbish expensive ones.

I own both Anschutz and CZ and they both shoot extremely well, better than the shooter. There is no disputing that the Anschutz is rather "more refined" and better build quality in every respect. You only have to remove the action from the stock and it is glaringly obvious. The Anschutz is not always that much more expensive either, nothing like the price range of scopes!

I seem to recall there being issues with 14" versions in 17HMR...

A quick google should throw something up.

I do hate it when people start the gossip factory but do not elaborate with any facts. Shame on you Garyb. What are you trying to achieve with that post? :hmm:

As the owner of an Anschutz .17HMR with a 14" barrel all I can say is that I have put thousands of rounds through it and it has operated flawlessly.

I did, I read all of it and it did not tell me anything at all. Only a reference to another bit of unqualified gossip.

I then did a search on airgunbbs where I am also a member and I mostly found praise for Anschutz.

So the bit that you hadn't made up refers to a quote from someone else who heard something about someone else who hadn't made it up either because they knew someone who had a friend who read that a chap who had been in touch with the importer who said that Anschutz accidentally set their machine up wrongly and made 100 barrels cut too short by mistake.

In the meantime I shall carry on shooting sub 1" groups at 150 yards (target circle is 2" dia).

post-19531-0-43341500-1306853234.jpg

I did, I read all of it and it did not tell me anything at all. Only a reference to another bit of unqualified gossip.

I then did a search on airgunbbs where I am also a member and I mostly found praise for Anschutz.

So the bit that you hadn't made up refers to a quote from someone else who heard something about someone else who hadn't made it up either because they knew someone who had a friend who read that a chap who had been in touch with the importer who said that Anschutz accidentally set their machine up wrongly and made 100 barrels cut too short by mistake.

In the meantime I shall carry on shooting sub 1" groups at 150 yards (target circle is 2" dia).

From AirgunBBS

Titan, Baz posted some months ago that the problem with the accuracy of the carbine was a result of the barrel being too short to ensure powder burn (other than with pistol cartridges). I have a long barreled '64 action rifle (already reviewed) and it's plenty accurate.

Unquote

Uncertainty I can do without.

ATB

Eyefor (previously Maple)

:D At what distance did your little legs pace that very nice tight group at? I guess 100 yards or less. My 150 yard group was measured with a laser and just gives an idea of a typical group by a mediocre shooter (me) using the Anschutz 14" barrel and Hornady 17gr V-max. I am happy with that for a bit of real field shooting in slightly windy conditions.

Now I shall sit back as battle commences....... The next post will be of a 1 hole group at 200 yards (only one bullet hit the target) :lol:

Happy shooting

From AirgunBBS

Titan, Baz posted some months ago that the problem with the accuracy of the carbine was a result of the barrel being too short to ensure powder burn (other than with pistol cartridges). I have a long barreled '64 action rifle (already reviewed) and it's plenty accurate.

Unquote

Uncertainty I can do without.

ATB

Eyefor (previously Maple)

The issue of powder burn and barrel length has been resolved and accepted as a non-issue after careful testing.

There is an optimum barrel length at which maximum velocity is achieved for a given round and in the case of .17HMR it is something like 18 or 19 inches but that is not the same thing as accuracy which is more to do with barrel quality than length (and let us not forget the shooter and the weather conditions).

The shortest barrel in one test was eventually cut down to 10" and even then the bullet developed 2276fps while with a 14" barrel it reached 2432fps. The longest barrel at 22" reached 2517fps while the "fastest" bullets averaged 2538fps out of a 19" barrel. (http://www.bullberry.com/HMRdata.html)

Based on those facts I think the post on AirgunBBS is shown to be inaccurate.

This is a very interesting brannigan, but as facilitator of this thread I ought to point out that it's gone a little off topic. The .17HMR is a model 1517, and my inquiry was about the 1417. Nice groups though people!

Yes, sorry about that. Hopefully it has helped a bit though, none of your concerns - those in the original post - should worry you.

It has been a really boring weekend, add to that pre-senile dementia and its associated and inexplicable psychological episodes.