Hide poles

Im hoping to do a lot of pigeon shooting with my shotgun this harvest because i will be 15 soon, so can shoot by mysfelf legally. I have bought some decoys, camo netting and various other pieces of kit. But i need some hide poles, i have looked around but they tend to be very expensive, so does anyone know where you can get cheap hide poles or what i could buy/make instead that would work as hide poles and be cheaper? I thought of making poles out of hazle branches?

thanks

Im hoping to do a lot of pigeon shooting with my shotgun this harvest because i will be 15 soon, so can shoot by mysfelf legally. I have bought some decoys, camo netting and various other pieces of kit. But i need some hide poles, i have looked around but they tend to be very expensive, so does anyone know where you can get cheap hide poles or what i could buy/make instead that would work as hide poles and be cheaper? I thought of making poles out of hazle branches?

thanks

go to your local tesco and get some green washing line poles, they are £3.50 each, thats what i did and ideal for the job :yes::good:

im on overhauling mine as they need a bit of spike this time of year for hard ground see my link :good:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/168428-i-can-only-try/page__p__1427282__fromsearch__1#entry1427282

Cut your self 2 sets of poles out of the hedge, trim them up and let them season, don’t waste you money on washing poles.

You won’t beat the brambles and the stingers with a washing pole unless you want to turn it in to scrap in a couple of swings.

Save your cash to spend on decoys etc…..

You might want an old screw driver in the bottom of your bag to help with starting a hole, as the ground is rock hard and it will be worse by the end of the summer!

TEH

Have a wander round a local boot sale , supriseing what you can find there to use , much in the line of fishing bank sticks and the like and prices can be haggled over.

Keep the cost down if you buy new by starting with a 3 pole hide.

Even broom sticks can be used.

Browse in the 99p shops( i do often :) ) long as whatever you use gives enough height doesnt need a JCB to carry it and you can figure a way to get them in the concrete like ground at the moment.

I've just got hold of 4 "Telescopic Washing Line Props" from a local discount store (Winners) for £2.50 each. I am going to cut them down a little as I only need them to extend to about 5'6" or so (Cuts down on the weight you have to carry too) and then hammer a "spearhead type of point" and fix a footpeg on them.

As my hide "net" is 18 feet long (And cost under £8) I might well go and get another 2 of these "poles" to make a collection of 6 - Then I will have descent sized hide (More than big enough for 2 shooters) which is as cheap as chips!

Electric fence posts.

They have spikes and kicker plates at the bottom and plenty of hooks for your netting. Easily available at Farmers' shops for £2-£3 (in green plastic too).

Only concern is that they can be a little too bendy but you can easily set them up at a slight angle and then they work nicely. Some might be too short too so have a look around.

As an idea: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Fencing%2fFence-posts---strong-ECO-paddock-posts_W0QQitemZ300387531914QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=236194382991&clk_rvr_id=236205507265&imp_rvr_id=236205507265&clk_rvr_id=236205507265&cguid=3fc5b7a71300a0aa15651115fff1f6cc

Or just bite the bullet, spend £40 and get a set of proper, strong, lightweight, extendable poles with proper footplates and hard spikes.

I went the DIY route first and was frequently frustrated by inadequate hide poles until I bought a decent set.

Mind you, now I tend to use a sheet of camo material as a poncho. Much easier to move about without being seen.

Cut your self 2 sets of poles out of the hedge, trim them up and let them season, don’t waste you money on washing poles.

TEH

good idea, but he probably wants to go shooting again, rather than waiting for them to season :lol:

: buy cheap buy twice,i started with canes an bank sticks taped on to bottom,its a pain when the grounds concrete as well has a strong wind an kept blowing over.i bought 4 top quality hide poles each has a spike going 6in up into the pole ever so solid .7ft exstention if required .wished id bought them sooner .no messing about set hide up in seconds when need be. £43 next day delivery they were. :good:

: buy cheap buy twice,i started with canes an bank sticks taped on to bottom,its a pain when the grounds concrete as well has a strong wind an kept blowing over.i bought 4 top quality hide poles each has a spike going 6in up into the pole ever so solid .7ft exstention if required .wished id bought them sooner .no messing about set hide up in seconds when need be. £43 next day delivery they were. :good:

Agree totally with the above, sometimes as alot of other members have found when you try the cheaper DIY option costs can spiral, you buy the poles for £3 each, then you find they don`t drive into the ground you end up buying spikes at £4 each then something else only needs to snap or bend and you are into more money than the £40 you can get a set of sturdy purpose made poles for. Think carefully about the best option and you can`t go wrong.

All sound advice for buying the real thing and agree, but we are not a 14 year old comming up to 15 that may not be able to splash out the dosh for the real thing or co-**** his parents into buying them, and father christmas is a good few months away.

I think the orginal question was more what could be used instead of for economic reasons. ;)

All sound advice for buying the real thing and agree, but we are not a 14 year old comming up to 15 that may not be able to splash out the dosh for the real thing or co-**** his parents into buying them, and father christmas is a good few months away.

I think the orginal question was more what could be used instead of for economic reasons. ;)

£40 isn't much for an item that will last many years. If he's 15, a couple of weeks' delivering papers or doing odd jobs would get him his cash easy :good:

As my hide "net" is 18 feet long (And cost under £8) I might well go and get another 2 of these "poles" to make a collection of 6 - Then I will have descent sized hide (More than big enough for 2 shooters) which is as cheap as chips!

Where did you get that sort of sized net/hide

Where did you get that sort of sized net/hide

It came from a seller on the 'bay, here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250821126153&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

If this link doesn't work just go on the 'bay and do a search for "camoflage tarpaulines"!

It might be worth looking through their shop as they do it in different sizes.

It is waterproof and windproof and folds up into a very small package and is very light to carry. The one I got was 12 foot X 9 foot so I cut it in half and joined the two sections to make one piece 18 foot X 6 foot - The joining was east to do using "Bostic" glue and a few staples. There are matel eyelets already fixed to the "tarpaulin" which makes fixing it to the hide poles easy. This "tarpaulin" is made from woven nylon so is quite hard wearing and easy to use and store away after use. The 2 only downsides to it is that it can make a bit of a rustling noise in the wind if you dont get it fastened tight enough to your hide poles and that you can't see through it and have to look over the top of it - I have worked out that I could get a bit of net and fix some smallish "viewing windows" into it quite easily.

I was using it yesterday for some crow bashing and made the hide up just in front of a few fir trees so I only needed it to be 3 sided with the trees as a backing - Even though the wind was blowing a bit I was "as snug as a bug in a rug" sat on my stool in my spacious hide, I set it up so that it was about 8 foot long by about 5 foot deep and 5 foot high - Most certainly big enough for two shooters with ease! Next time I am out I will try to get a photo of the hide.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought two sets of brand new poles on ebay, one set i got for £ 8,87, and the other set for £ 20,91, and am looking to get a third set too, as I expect to lose a few in the season through just general usage (Altought they should be good as they are extendable hide poles with kicking plate and hardened spike). So have a look on ebay, watch a few, and don´t bid untill the last 15-20 seconds, or you´ll drive the price up.

Edited by Redditch