bring back pistols ?

welsh warrior

just asking would there ever be enough support to bring back pistols to the uk ? id personly love that as i like any gun discipline not just shotguns and rifles.i would love to be able to have my own pistols to shoot on the range or use in shooting contests.i might be wrong but i never hear any one figting for that part of shooting

Edited by welsh warrior

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm going to stick my neck out here!

Prior to the incident in Cumbria there was serious discussion concerning the re-introduction of .22" pistol shooting. Remember, a small number of 'elite' shooters have .22" and .32" target pistols on s5 authority for competition.

If we don't have a major, amok-shooting incident with legally held firearms, I think that it is possible that some (very limited) target shooting with pistols could come back within the next five to ten years.

The next thing to wait for is the report in Parliament concerning Cumbria, which is scheduled for the first half of June.

... and if I'm wrong , I won't eat my hat! :huh:

Andy

just asking would there ever be enough support to bring back pistols to the uk ? id personly love that as i like any gun discipline not just shotguns and rifles.i would love to be able to have my own pistols to shoot on the range or use in shooting contests.i might be wrong but i never hear any one figting for that part of shooting

You're on the wrong website with this topic, despite this being one of the biggest (and possibly best) shooting forums in this country there's a substaintial "i'm alright jack" contingent <_< And as long as the government isn't talking about restricting/banning clay or game shooting then they don't seem to see the threat to themselves. Its a-mazing (!) :look: :hmm::lol::/

The Sportsmans Association is the only active organisation that is looking to re-instate pistol shooting (that i'm aware of) but as has been said, once one part of shooting is banned it'll never return, and its only a matter of time before the government has got rid of every branch. Enjoy it while you can, and look into emmigration! :lol:

Mark

To get straight to the point and not get sucked into a hypothetical debate with people who know nothing about any other shooting than the one they are concerned with (no one specific in mind) there is an organisation called the sportsmans association,which campaigns for the repeal of unfair legislation regarding the pistol ban. its incorporated into the gun and mart magazine,slapped on the front cover.small victories are being made,and it will take another election with a tory majority,but a partial repeal could happen,and was on the cards b4 cumbria. Remember in the public eye,shooters are shooters,be it 50cal club to c02 target,were all cast under the same umbrella as it were..........so with this in mind I ponder you a question. To those who think they are ok,you're rabbit fox dear whatever shooting won't be affected,by any ban,I wonder how u would feel if someone went on tv and said that pistols have not been banned because anyone can saw up a rifle or shotgun as bird did,and then uve a pistol,I wonder just how fast u people would swing into action,like u did nothing during the pistol ban.shooters are like it or not,in the same boat,we have to all stick together and advocate tolerance and understanding of one anothers disciplines.......this is the reason I've not posted on here in 5 months

I don't expect to ever see pistol shooting return. Having said that I would like to see it - and anyone with a FAC should fight for it if we're given the chance.

It doesnmatter what you shoot and what you don't. Anything with the word "gun" or "shooting" should be given your full support. Votes are low enough as it is and we have no chance if we all stick to the small section of the sport that we all enjoy and leave the rest to fend for itself. With that attitude we will lose the lot one day. :yes:

90% of my shooting is in the field.

Pistol ban or not, really doesn't have any bearing on my sport.

That was just the kind of attitude that helped loose semi auto rifles and pistols :angry:

We are all shooters garyb and hence should support each other regardless of what where or how we shoot!!

Ian.

Edited by Vermincinerator

Although I have never owned or fired a pistol, or even been in possetion of an FAC, a fellow scout leader owned several handguns many years back, and he was so upset with them being banned he just sold his rifle and packed in shooting all together. I am planning to get an FAC in addition to my SGC and would love to own a pistol for target shooting. I will support all branches of shooting sports. I also hope to see a change in legislation so I can take the scouts live cartridge shooting. Anyone with me? :good:

I'd love to have pistol shooting allowed again. I sold all my small/full bore pistols before the ban came in, but I know I would enjoy it again.

I was a member of LITTS for many years, and enjoyed using the many pistols that I owned.

Sadly, I don't think we will ever see a return to handgun ownership, and I honestly believe that one day, rifles/shotguns will also be banned.

Steve.

While idiots prance about with practical shotguns - would you be a policeman ?

When running a rifle club we had pistols that were taken off us why ?.Because shooting magazines

regularly carried pictures of ninja ****** dressed totally in black posing with practical shotguns

were scaring the pants off the police,

It is what is in a persons mind that counts!. These people are responsible for the loss of trust in

shooting generally. So get real do not expect to get the right to have pistols,revolvers or semi autos

back any time soon.

When running a rifle club we had pistols that were taken off us why ?.Because shooting magazines

regularly carried pictures of ninja ****** dressed totally in black posing with practical shotguns

It is what is in a persons mind that counts!. These people are responsible for the loss of trust in

shooting generally. So get real do not expect to get the right to have pistols,revolvers or semi autos

back any time soon.

As far as i'm aware practical shotgun is the ONLY shooting discipline which has an official dress code, and that dress code is no all black and no camo. 'Posing' with guns would get you DQ'ed immediately as you would break the gun handling rules and you'd be asked to leave the match, so i'm not sure where these pictures are coming from, maybe you could post some or a hyperlink? :hmm:

Seen plenty of pictures of people posing with guns and 'poor defenceless' animals lying dead next to them though . . . I wonder which picture gets the soppy anti's going the most :rolleyes:

Mark

back any time soon.

Mate... you are talking out of your ****...

It was the government who banned hand guns (for VERY well publicised reasons!) not the police.

The Cullen inquiry specifically recomended that handguns NOT be banned.. The government (mainly due to pressure from the media) decided to ignore it's findings and take it's own (very short sighted in my opinion) route.

I think (if you bother to ask any serving officer) that the police have far more pressing things to worry about than legitimate FAC holders dressing however they want to dress enjoying whatever LEGAL passtime they like... things like.... getting stabbed, being shot at with ILLEGAL handuns in the hands of gangs etc...

I don't think Hamilton was dressed in combats or ninja outfit when he commited his heinous crime... your analogy doesn't fit... Go to Bisley during any big match meeting, there will be plenty of civilians dressed in at least some military clothing.... tends to go with the teritory, just as most hunters will wear camo even though there is absolutely no scientific proof that it makes them less visible to deer/foxes/rabbits etc... in fact, studies from the states have shown that the most effective camouflage is actually based on the colour orange... but that wouldn't look 'tacticool'... would it :rolleyes:

Edited by Vipa

back any time soon.

I went to the phoenix meet at Bisley last saturday and had a good look round all the shooting disciplines going on,but i never saw one person dressed as a ninja.Then again i wasnt looking out for them either. :lol:

I know its unlikely pistol shooting will return but its an intellectual exercise to see what would/might make it possible.

I think its down to control mechanisms and, maybe, since all police forces have firearms units, the key to legitimising handguns actually lies with the police.

If formal national competitions could be organised using police ranges and all handgune were required to be stored at police firearms units, this might be a way through the present ban.

Initially it could cost quite a bit but if shooters were willing to contribute to the development of police ranges and took some of the cost off the public purse, then maybe the Chief Con of Ubique could say ;

" legitimate shooters fund the majority of the cost of police firearms unit . Their guns are held secure at police stations with police weapons and these shooters are allowed to train with the police, so that they can support the police in their development of ballistic capabilities and the wisest choice of weapons. All privately held weapons can be used by the police and are available for law enforcement, if required. All authorised hangun users are subjevt to the same evaluation and training as police but at their own expense. If I were able to stress the most important development in policing in the last 5 years it would be the contribution legitimate shooters and their knowledge and interest has contributed to policing ",

Any possibility that might make you wag your tail Mung?

I was just going to take up pistol shooting when the ban came in. For hundreds of keen handgun enthusiasts it was frightful loss - imagine you couldnt shoot at all !

The police cant be experts at all forms of shooting - we have a lot to offer, perhaps its just offering skill and accepting tight control on handguns.

Whatever happens we all need to support all forms of shooting and more relevant and consistent controls on ownership. I feel only in this way can the public concern be fully overcome and sporting shooting be secured. How much is a DSC? Wouldnt we all pay for a formal firearms course if it gave us the right to own any kind of weapon????

Just a punt so lets hear what you think?

The only way shooting in any form will survive is by keeping public opinion under control and where possible better informed and on our side.

As soon as public opinion turns against us in a big way we are stuffed.

Politicians will always do what is right for themselves. All they want is money and power and the control it gives them.

The media will stir things up as much as possible as they are there to make money. BBC News and all the rest of them are there as an entertainment channel so don't kid yourself otherwise, they all need ratings and that means sensationalism, not facts. Too many media types fall into the category of wishy washy London based liberal elite, veggies and bunny huggers.

We have to take the bull by the horns and engage actively in self promotion. Our representative bodies need to engage with schools and village fetes, shooting fairs generate members but it is preaching to the converted, better publicity in the wider media is essential.

Invite TV and the press to shooting venues, shout about all the good work being done.

We all know how essential shooting is, both for pest control and for conservation, it is also FUN.

Positive publicity and educating the public are the two most important things to do.

We know we are right, shooting is good, we have to get that point across to the sceptical masses who are afraid of people with guns because all they see are negative news headlines and publicity put out by the antis.

We can win every open honest debate because we are right!!! That debate just does not happen though.

A few kids use air rifles irresponsibly - we lose.

A tragic double murder - gang warfare, illegal hand guns - nothing to do with legitimate shooters - we lose.

Deranged and poorly educated nutters put out all sorts of horrendous video's on YouTube - we lose.

Give a couple of carefully prepared portions of fresh rabbit to a neighbour - brownie points - we win.

Invite friends and neighbours to come along and try shooting at targets - might get them to appreciate shooting - we win.

Photograph a freshly dead fox with its guts hanging out and pose in full camo with a big grin - go back three squares..... sad but true.