bring back pistols ?

welsh warrior

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handguns are gone, long gone. It's not being an anti or unsupportive of other shooting sports, it's being realistic.

Nail on head.

The public will go mental when/if Cameron introduces a free vote to repeal the hunting ban.

MP's will always vote to keep themselves in power, so don't expect a repeal 'cos they ain't going to put their jobs on the line to bring it back :no:

Same thing with pistols....the public pressure would be far too strong.

The reality is 'they ain't coming back'.

I don't get the quote that guns are for vermin control.

Guns are for people who like guns and like shooting, you must think you are something special thinking that the vermin shooting you do is saving the countries food reserves. People shoot for their own selfish purpose, to enjoy themselves.

Whether you enjoyed dressing up in military gear and blasting a target with a pistol or putting on a shirt and tye for driven pheasants it's the very same thing. You are enjoying your sport.

Shooting is full of 'I'm alright jacks', as long as they have their sport they are fine, sod all other disciplines.

Pistols won't come back, not because of the public but because of some the idiots in the sport not caring because it doesn't affect them.

I don't get the quote that guns are for vermin control.

Guns are for people who like guns and like shooting, you must think you are something special thinking that the vermin shooting you do is saving the countries food reserves. People shoot for their own selfish purpose, to enjoy themselves.

Whether you enjoyed dressing up in military gear and blasting a target with a pistol or putting on a shirt and tye for driven pheasants it's the very same thing. You are enjoying your sport.

Shooting is full of 'I'm alright jacks', as long as they have their sport they are fine, sod all other disciplines.

Pistols won't come back, not because of the public but because of some the idiots in the sport not caring because it doesn't affect them.

I think it's more that rifle/shotgun shooters spend more time looking after their own sports because they know deep down that there is absolutely not once chance on this earth that any government who wants to stay in power is going to relax the control on pistols for sporting use. None. Not at all. Never. Well, I say never but if gun crime could be cleared up and we could go a few decades without a massacre with legally held firearms then perhaps someone might look at it. But doubtful. Not in this lifetime.

I'd love to be able to shoot pistol in this country. I've done it in America, and thoroughly enjoyed standing there with 10 other people on the range blasting .338 through a paper target. But with such a tiny tiny minority of people finding this fun, there is absolutely no chance it will have public support. As a country getting hammered on fuel prices, we cannot even muster up enough support for mass protest/strike/blockade or whatever to try and sway the government in to doing something. And fuel prices effect every single person in the country.

Let it go kids, it aint gonna happen. :no:

There arent many calibers of pistols that i havent shot, including the 50mm. I would love to see them back, Id particularly like to try one of the hmr pistols i think they would be great fun :good:

Elvis... surely you mean the .50bmg pistol? 50mm ??? that's a 5cm round, the same size as a rifle propelled grenade!

Nail on head.

The public will go mental when/if Cameron introduces a free vote to repeal the hunting ban.

MP's will always vote to keep themselves in power, so don't expect a repeal 'cos they ain't going to put their jobs on the line to bring it back :no:

Same thing with pistols....the public pressure would be far too strong.

The reality is 'they ain't coming back'.

if u have a rifle or shotgun then you too have a pistol with the help of a hacksaw,a fact that seems to be lost on you,so if this comes to the media's attention you could see you're shooting banned as well,and I won't be standing up for ure rights I can assure you...........after all in the publics eye what's worse? Holes in paper or someone that wants and enjoys killing animals?.....................I do both target ant rough/vermin control and stalking,and see all the angles

Let it go kids, it aint gonna happen.

By accepting this as a done deal the "line in the sand" moves back slightly, what's

next on the list for antis?

If people started properly lobbying for this then it pushes the boundary of what

will be banned further forward and will make it less likely that any other form

of shooting is restricted.

Nobody involved in shooting in the UK should be saying to let it go. Even if we don't

think it's going to happen we should be asking how we can help.

IMHO.

Nial.

By accepting this as a done deal the "line in the sand" moves back slightly, what's

If people started properly lobbying for this then it pushes the boundary of what

Nobody involved in shooting in the UK should be saying to let it go. Even if we don't

IMHO.

Nial.

well said,here here. By joining the sportsmans association,u help exactly that cause.

IMHO.

Nial.

well said,here here. By joining the sportsmans association,u help exactly that cause.

IMHO.

Nial.

:stupid:

Nial's got it about right here. if the half million or so of us shooters stick together we will have a voice to stop or mitigate further legal injustices being placed apon us.

Bickering that "I dont do that form of shooting" is stupid. Most anti's dont care what type of gun or what its used on they just want to rid us of all of them. If that means chiping us into smaller groups to ban bit by bit thats just playing into their hands.

If you want to keep shooting in you discipline, support the defense against every erosion of our shooting rights tooth and nail

(Canis closes his eyes and daydreams of a future where anti's are prosecuted for "hate crime" or "discrimination" against shooters )

IMHO.

Nial.

Fair play mate, couldn't have put it better me-self!!! :good:

Stick together at defending what we have, not at what was lost 14 years ago.

If you take that attitude things will only ever move in one direction.

If there was a concerted campaign to have handguns re-instated it might not actually

work but it would definitely move the balance of things in the right direction.

Nial.

if u have a rifle or shotgun then you too have a pistol with the help of a hacksaw,a fact that seems to be lost on you,so if this comes to the media's attention you could see you're shooting banned as well,and I won't be standing up for ure rights I can assure you...........after all in the publics eye what's worse? Holes in paper or someone that wants and enjoys killing animals?.....................I do both target ant rough/vermin control and stalking,and see all the angles

What are you talking about?

If I saw off the barrels of my shotgun I don't have a pistol, I have a sawn off shotgun!!

With arguments like that I'll be quite happy to stand up for my own rights thanks very much! :lol:

Oh, and for your information I used to shoot pistols 'back in the day'

However, being realistic I also know those days aren't coming back!!

What are you talking about?

If I saw off the barrels of my shotgun I don't have a pistol, I have a sawn off shotgun!!

With arguments like that I'll be quite happy to stand up for my own rights thanks very much! :lol:

Oh, and for your information I used to shoot pistols 'back in the day'

However, being realistic I also know those days aren't coming back!!

and for youre information anything under 61 cm is classed as section 5 ie banned ie a easily concealed pistol type weapon. back in the day,do me favour..............

Stick together at defending what we have, not at what was lost 14 years ago.

Are you all campaigning for the reintroduction of semi automatic centrefire rifles too?

semi auto centerfire rifles,ummm thats prob the one thing i can live without,but if others want to use them for whatever legitamate purpose,(dunno quite what)then i cant see why not,as nial says,a unified front,may not return pistols,but it just may aid us in stopping any further retrictive legislation. i do say may!! i know im wasting my energy with some peoples attitudes,ive come accross it before..............its a shame really..............

Listen,all you former pistol shooters(and I include myself here)if you want to start a campaign to re-introduce pistol shooting in the form it was prior to the ban,then you're going to have to do it for yourselves.The vast majority of shooters on here couldn't even be bothered to make a submission to the HASC in defence of their own particular form of shooting,so they're not likely to get involved in a discipline that doesn't even interest them are they?You're barking up the wrong tree if you're seeking support on here.You're on your own lads.

Listen,all you former pistol shooters(and I include myself here)if you want to start a campaign to re-introduce pistol shooting in the form it was prior to the ban,then you're going to have to do it for yourselves.The vast majority of shooters on here couldn't even be bothered to make a submission to the HASC in defence of their own particular form of shooting,so they're not likely to get involved in a discipline that doesn't even interest them are they?You're barking up the wrong tree if you're seeking support on here.You're on your own lads.

dont worry too much about it mate,after derek bird used a shotgun,it will probably follow that sgc holders are going to get the full measure of legislation when it comes around,ile feel terrible about it when im shootin the bianchi mover or the mqueens!! ile feel even worse when half of you wont be able to keep ure shotguns becase they will all be put on an fac........ummmmmmmmm see who will be crying then.....but in answer to the campaign thing,its only limited to this thread,and as mugler says its no point getting upset,after all its all hypothetical......except sgc being put on fac...good luck cas some sgc owners i know i wouldent trust to run a bath.....

Shotgun to FAC? I doubt they would bother because it won't help, the top 3 massacres in this country were all carried out by "legitimate" fully licensed FAC holders, not someone out of operation Trident.....

I don't quite follow the logic in the above post as Bird carried out his murders with the 'sporting' firearms of a type we all use.I agree shotgun to FAC wouldn't 'help',but fail to see why that would prevent that type of legislation,after all,it would certainly cut down the numbers of shotguns in circulation which has to be an objective of any Government seeking the publics endorsement.It wouldn't have any effect on armed crime but as always,the Government will have been seen to have 'done something'.Job done! :good: