bring back pistols ?

welsh warrior

Vermincinerator - The difference being.. We're talking about something that is already banned.

Again.. pointless.

I see from your profile age that you were most likely not a shooter when pistols were banned, i was and had been shooting pistol since 1984.

It was comments just like yours that put the final nail in the coffin of pistol shooting a clear case of "it dont efect me so i dont care," you have no idea mate.

Ian.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i look at pistols as fun shooting.i use to but loads of co2 pistols becuase they are just so much fun plinking.the same safty applies in any form of shooting fromm a bb gun to .308 rifle and everything in between.another thing ive always thought is why cant pistols be put on a fac? i know one thing for sure if pistols were allowed in the uk for comps and target shooting i dont think id bother with hunting.also on a personal level i love pistols the look the way they work and are made all of it.not just pistols but any guns flintlock precusion modern guns i like them all.and for any one who dont like me being so intrested in pistols ive got to ask is there anything wrong in likeing and ejoying guns? i just think there should be more support to bring back pistols.

i look at pistols as fun shooting.i use to but loads of co2 pistols becuase they are just so much fun plinking.the same safty applies in any form of shooting fromm a bb gun to .308 rifle and everything in between.another thing ive always thought is why cant pistols be put on a fac? i know one thing for sure if pistols were allowed in the uk for comps and target shooting i dont think id bother with hunting.also on a personal level i love pistols the look the way they work and are made all of it.not just pistols but any guns flintlock precusion modern guns i like them all.and for any one who dont like me being so intrested in pistols ive got to ask is there anything wrong in likeing and ejoying guns? i just think there should be more support to bring back pistols.

if you want to help,join the sportsmans association,associate membership is only £15,support the campaign for the abolition of unfair legislation.......I make the point again that pistols still exist with the help of a hack saw to any rifle or shotgun just as derrick bird did. With this in mind we all should be worried and stick together,we are all in possession of an instrument that can launch a projectile at great speed and great accuracy,that is how the media fuelled shooter fearing, soap tv addicted british public will see us.......so b4 we have to have licences and permits, shootplans,field regristrations,neighbour noise permission slips,compulsory training courses, police statiion firearms storage and god knows what else remember to support ure fellow shooter,not turn ure nose up at them, you heard it all here first!!

if you want to help,join the sportsmans association,associate membership is only £15,support the campaign for the abolition of unfair legislation.......I make the point again that pistols still exist with the help of a hack saw to any rifle or shotgun just as derrick bird did. With this in mind we all should be worried and stick together,we are all in possession of an instrument that can launch a projectile at great speed and great accuracy,that is how the media fuelled shooter fearing, soap tv addicted british public will see us.......so b4 we have to have licences and permits, shootplans,field regristrations,neighbour noise permission slips,compulsory training courses, police statiion firearms storage and god knows what else remember to support ure fellow shooter,not turn ure nose up at them, you heard it all here first!!

That was just the kind of attitude that helped loose semi auto rifles and pistols :angry:

We are all shooters garyb and hence should support each other regardless of what where or how we shoot!!

Ian.

why should we support the types of guns that attract walts and fundamentally pose the biggest risk to legitimate sporting use. Pistols and semi auto rifles are inherently inaccurate for pest control and other essential uses yet attract the worst kind of gun fantasists. I have no problem with the ban and knowing a few who have them for humane despatch I do wonder whether that excuse should be far more closely monitored. There is always a close relationship in these threads between those who want hand guns to those who also believe they should be free to carry them for "personal protection" and would like to leave them lying around the house just in case. There may be lots of legitimate target shooters affected but if they just took up a sensible past time like vermin control or even rifle based target shooting they could carry on but they have a thing about handguns.

As everyone mentioned they aren't coming back so pretty pointless arguing about it

Just for a laugh I searched for the last "hope for handguns thread" :rolleyes:

And for giggles, here it is:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/152100-hope-for-handguns/

Massive de ja vu.

Then I stumbled on this one, part of the usual "I need a handgun for humane dispatch"..

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/156943-general-interest-humane-dispatch/page__p__1335715__hl__pistol__fromsearch__1#entry1335715

Handguns are gone, long gone. It's not being an anti or unsupportive of other shooting sports, it's being realistic.

why should we support the types of guns that attract walts and fundamentally pose the biggest risk to legitimate sporting use. Pistols and semi auto rifles are inherently inaccurate for pest control and other essential uses yet attract the worst kind of gun fantasists. I have no problem with the ban and knowing a few who have them for humane despatch I do wonder whether that excuse should be far more closely monitored. There is always a close relationship in these threads between those who want hand guns to those who also believe they should be free to carry them for "personal protection" and would like to leave them lying around the house just in case. There may be lots of legitimate target shooters affected but if they just took up a sensible past time like vermin control or even rifle based target shooting they could carry on but they have a thing about handguns.

As everyone mentioned they aren't coming back so pretty pointless arguing about it

Wow, just wow. Good thing the bans came in then and all those “walts” (quoted - not used personally, it’s a military expression and I haven’t served; to use it without serving is ‘waltish’ in itself), magically disappeared when those guns were banned. Or are they the person next to you on the firing line . . . . :look: :lol: Also, what are you basing this opinion on, personal, first-hand, real-life experience of pistol/semi CF rifle shooters in this country, or media/stereotype bulls*** or internet keyboard warriors that any shooter worth his powder should treat with a pinch of salt?? :hmm:

Last time I checked FAC/SGC’s weren’t issued for “essential uses”, otherwise I suspect there wouldn’t be 1/10th of the 715,000 certificates there are now. If its your opinion that firearms should only be used for vermin control then fair enough; its my opinion though, and I would say the majority’s opinion that you are wrong. The majority of people shoot because they enjoy it, i.e. for FUN. That maybe a difficult concept for you but there you go. :rolleyes:

The attitude, imho, is anti, or monumentally naïve or arrogant at least. OK you might not enjoy pistol shooting yourself (which probably means you’ve never tried it!), but don’t deride others than do, and somehow blame shootings ‘bad’ image on pistols alone. As previously mentioned, the sight of a fox blown to pieces or 200 birds lying next to someone posing with a gun is far more offensive to many people than someone gunning it through a practical pistol course.

Mark

Question - How many "pistol" shooters now do Practical Shotgun?

Ah now we're cooking, although i'm a bit disappointed you're a day late. May saw all the classic, regurgitated topics; .22 v .17, , which semi shotgun is best, all police are ******** because of my single bad experience, are semi's banned at clay grounds etc but PSG being the root of all shooting woes was missed. For shame.

How many practical pistol shooters are now practical shotgun shooters, buuurrr, i don't know, probbaly lots - did you have much contact with practical pistol shooters BTW? :hmm::rolleyes:

How many pistol shooters now shoot gallery rifle, mini-rifle, practical rifle, long range target rifle, PSG, game, pigeons, stalking . . . . well at least one!

Mark

Edited by Breastman

There is a fair bit of perfectly legal target pistol shooting still goes on, we use Long Barreled Pistols and Long Barreled Revolvers.

These guns have a long slightly daft dirty harry looking barrel and a metal arm that comes off the bottom of the grip with a counterweight or arm brace on it.

.44 magnum, .357 etc are pretty common in the revolver category and in semi auto .22LR there are the Browning Buckmark pistols and a few others, notably a lovely little Colt 1911.

The sport is still ther but only shot by a minority.

I've also heard that there might be plans to ban these kinds of pistols and some people, when applying for a slot for one (it's not just a .22lr slot, it's specific) have ahd to sign a form agreeing that if a ban comes into effect they must surrender their pistols without compensation.

Additionally there are clauses on the slot on your FAC that prohibit you from allowing any other person, even an FAC holder to even touch, never mind fire the pistol.

Still, if you're hell bent on shooting pistols, you can!

chris.

The original question was "would there be much support?"

It would appear from this thread that, even in the shooting community, there is some support but it certainly isn't universal. From the rest of the population (and more importantly, politicians) you can bet your *** that there would be a MASSIVE majority against. The ban may not have worked. There may well be more illegaly held pistols on the streets today than ever but that really doesn't mean much in this risk averse world.

As Mungler said, it was a right that has gone & will never return. Remember the helmet law for bikers - there was hell on at the time about freedoms & liberty but only a tiny, tiny minority would support its repeal today.

TT

,pistols were never,NEVER issued for vermin control as far as I can remember,it would be a little unprofessional to say the least,

As for the pistol shooters being of no legitimate use,who are you to say otherwise? Gallery rifle events are growing stronger every year with teams from germany ireland and south africa competing,but because that shooting does not comply with you're veiw of legitimate shooting it should also be banned should it?

How about target rifle or f class? No use to you,they mite show u up? Ide like to see you shoot a 1500 or even a granet match. I am disgusted with you're attitude....you're bias attitude towards the rest of us is a shameful stamp on you're charicter sir.

There is a fair bit of perfectly legal target pistol shooting still goes on, we use Long Barreled Pistols and Long Barreled Revolvers.

These guns have a long slightly daft dirty harry looking barrel and a metal arm that comes off the bottom of the grip with a counterweight or arm brace on it.

.44 magnum, .357 etc are pretty common in the revolver category and in semi auto .22LR there are the Browning Buckmark pistols and a few others, notably a lovely little Colt 1911.

The sport is still ther but only shot by a minority.

I've also heard that there might be plans to ban these kinds of pistols and some people, when applying for a slot for one (it's not just a .22lr slot, it's specific) have ahd to sign a form agreeing that if a ban comes into effect they must surrender their pistols without compensation.

Additionally there are clauses on the slot on your FAC that prohibit you from allowing any other person, even an FAC holder to even touch, never mind fire the pistol.

Still, if you're hell bent on shooting pistols, you can!

chris.

not quite my man,avon and somerset have agreed for the lbp to be put on a club ticket for its members to use,also others can now use each others,this is becase of mike wells court victory,this does not extend to lbr's yet though.

The original question was "would there be much support?"

It would appear from this thread that, even in the shooting community, there is some support but it certainly isn't universal. From the rest of the population (and more importantly, politicians) you can bet your *** that there would be a MASSIVE majority against. The ban may not have worked. There may well be more illegaly held pistols on the streets today than ever but that really doesn't mean much in this risk averse world.

As Mungler said, it was a right that has gone & will never return. Remember the helmet law for bikers - there was hell on at the time about freedoms & liberty but only a tiny, tiny minority would support its repeal today.

TT

so then if prohibition came in,u think it will and should stay do you? How about window tax? Or zero tolerance for drink drivers? Or wat if they scrapped the nhs? Do you think they should be gone forever? Where's the spirit of the british people gone these days? We all use to be able to think for ourselves.

Does enjoying shooting pistols make me a Walt ? Who cares. There was no "sensible" reason for me to own a 44mag but it was FUN, yes that silly word, FUN. I wasn't doing my solemn duty to help the poor farmers of the country, nor was I ever likely to win a competition with it, but I was legally allowed to use it and it made the biggest bangs and flashes you could imagine. Wooo Hoooo - BOOM - watch those skittles fly.

I had a flintlock Brown Bess too, even less sensible but just as much FUN.

I can equate them to a sports motorbike, far too fast and thirsty to be sensible, but great fun nonetheless.

I agree with your last sentence Alex but the more of your threads I read the more blinkered and narrow minded you become in my mind...

You have the worst kind of 'I'm all right Jack' mentality and assume (quite wrongly) that what is or isn't good for you applies to the rest of the population whether it be financial matters or firearms matters. An 'armchair expert' of the first order :rolleyes:

Semi auto .22s are no less accurate than bolt action .22s. Semi auto CF rifles (type dependant) are no less accurate than most bolt action rifles. No one is suggesting handguns be used for hunting of any kind (although it has quite a large following in the States.)

You give the impression (although you haven't said it in so many words) that you only see firearms as having 1 legitimate use, that is vermin and pest control. If that is the case then how can you class yourself as a shooter? That is like a farmer who abhores tractors being a member of 'tractor watch' just because he drives one 'because he has to.'

Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that when they have banned clay shooting and pheasant shooting and deer stalking and target shooting that you'll be left in peace because there will ALWAYS be a need for vermin and pest control WITH FIREARMS.... there won't, there are alternatives and if firearms are needed you will have to be a professional contractor to obtain one.

Who are you to decide who 'the worst kind' of people are? When I was pistol shooting, 50% of my club who shot PP were ex-military (as was I) and hankered after those memories. It was fun... lots of fun... at no point did anyone pose a threat because of the way they dressed or what they shot... that argument is absolute bull and belies your (sometimes questionable) obvious intelligence.

At the end of the day, the comments saying we'll never get handguns back are (largely) correct (there are a couple of scenarios but let's not go there..) It would create a media ****storm and probably force the government to ban everything to appease the masses! But.... don't get all high and mighty with those who express their wishes to have handguns back and want to explore possibilities (no matter how remote!)

You really are turning into a first class troll...

Edited by Vipa