Helicopter Hog Hunting

149 members have voted

1. 1. would you have a go if you were offered the opportunity?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument bit was a Python quote and a poor attempt at humour. I know its a debate and a very enjoyable well mannered one it is too :good:

I'd still pay good money to watch you neck a wounded wild pig :lol:

You've never seen my wife stuff a turkey at christmas :no: poor thing is in a neck hold worthy of giant haystacks.... and when that forarm disapears up it's jacksie...... :oops: A hog wouldn't stand a chance :blink:

they do that in a few places doc, life expectancy of the dogs is pretty short though.

I am sure they do but NZ is the only place that I have seen it happen, so thought I would confine my post to actual rather than stuff i have read in a magazine, if you know what I mean :D:D:D

Believe it or not you do, not neck but stick with large knife, The boys out in NZ do this as sport, couple of dogs to hold pig at bay then in they go with a knife, sling piggy on back, (must be wearing a Swann Dry for that bit and yomp a couple of miles back to camp, as pig may be several hundred pounds, I always thought them a little mad, but thats Kiwis for you, no guts no glory. ie Barking :D:D

"

didn't want to embed this, copy the address minus the ""

Only copy I could find that showed the whole sequence... Of course, If Ray had been there, he would have had it cooked and served up with dauphinoise potatoes, seasonal vegetables, possibly a stilton sauce and a nice bottle of chardonay in the time it takes girly Bear to dispach the poor little thing! :yes:

Edited by Vipa

I am sure they do but NZ is the only place that I have seen it happen, so thought I would confine my post to actual rather than stuff i have read in a magazine, if you know what I mean :D:D:D

I do, there are a few international shooting forums that have hog hunting with dogs sections, their hunt reports section makes our kind of hunting look very tame.

Is this the 10 minute argument, or the full half hour? :P

Arguably yes, and big commercial shoots as corporate entertainment isn't my thing either, but there is the subtle difference of a team of pickers up to ensure the wounded are dispatched.

or a helicopter in a hover so the shooter can get some more roubds into the pig.

A thoughtful and thought provoking post and some good points made. I'll admit that my own contributions on this have been a little emotive and judgmental. It's still not something I'd want to do, but I recognise it might be the best practical solution to the problem. Best left to skilled and experienced professionals though, I still think it would be wrong to allow someone with a fat wallet bit zero skill/experience to take part, if that happens?

Agreed on Hamsters post :good:

I am begining to think the problem is technology. This kind of thing has been going on for years and reported as "Urban myth". With you tube,my space etc. it is now instantly world wide. It would would be a debate all of it's own weather this sort of thing should be kept under cover, or the world educated on how we have to manage problems we created.

The old Elephant culls were never filmed or talked about, but were accepted as required. I can assure you they would have started a larger debate.

p.s I actually thought the second film was miles away from the first, showed far better shooting and also how effective slugs are

I think the guys with 12ga autos would have used LG. Large game - 9 pellets per cart. Tight groups and good stopping power. I may be wrong, but I've only heard of people useing slugs on static targets.

they do that in a few places doc, life expectancy of the dogs is pretty short though.

baying up pigs with Blue tick hounds is exellent sport. ONLY FOR THE FIT!! You could expect to run miles and have to pull off a good shot at the end. Mess it up and the pig will injure the dogs. The vet bills can be huge, but again done for crop protection.

Unless I`ve missed the answer amongst the other posts, what rifle was the bloke using? I want one.

.223 rifle or 12ga auto.

Before the 5.56 became the cart. of choice with NATO, a lot of people used .308 (7.62) :hmm:

Edited by gsm1968

I'm a bit surprised by some posts on this thread, especially given the posts on threads about required accuracy and hunting.

For example, recently there was a thread on what accuracy you would be happy to hunt with. Many people said they wouldn't hunt if they couldn't get better than a 2" group, yet the guy in the chopper would struggle to get a 2 foot group around a killzone.

Similarly, what would be the reaction if the shooter was in a high seat and was missing all around deer before luckily hitting one somewhere ? I'll wager there would be many cries of foul, and comments that the shooter should stick to paper targets, yet from the animals point of view there is no difference, both are hit in random places.

Also, we've all seen animals hit and knocked down only for them to get up again and run off. How many of those hogs ran off after the chopper had passed ?

Lastly, is that a 5.56mm ? If so, when did it become suitable for hogs ? Many hog hunters seem to reckon a heavy calibre rifle or 12g slug is required for a clean kill.

I'm a bit surprised by some posts on this thread, especially given the posts on threads about required accuracy and hunting.

For example, recently there was a thread on what accuracy you would be happy to hunt with. Many people said they wouldn't hunt if they couldn't get better than a 2" group, yet the guy in the chopper would struggle to get a 2 foot group around a killzone.

Similarly, what would be the reaction if the shooter was in a high seat and was missing all around deer before luckily hitting one somewhere ? I'll wager there would be many cries of foul, and comments that the shooter should stick to paper targets, yet from the animals point of view there is no difference, both are hit in random places.

Also, we've all seen animals hit and knocked down only for them to get up again and run off. How many of those hogs ran off after the chopper had passed ?

Lastly, is that a 5.56mm ? If so, when did it become suitable for hogs ? Many hog hunters seem to reckon a heavy calibre rifle or 12g slug is required for a clean kill.

How would you control the pig problem then :hmm:

They were not instant kills because he appeared to miss quite a bit.

Every shot that hit the target seemed to do the job. I never saw any pigs move again after being hit :no:

To be honest, its not so much about the rights or wrongs on doing this, to me its answering the Original post question... I personaly wouldn't want to do it, as i would rather be in a position to know I could hit the thing with 1 shot

that is also one reason i prefer the rifle to the shotgun :yes:

Fair comment :blush:

I don't know how I'd shoot them, maybe some problems aren't suitable to deal with by shooting.

So what other methods do you think would work :hmm:

Bearing in mind the chosen (tried and tested) method in which is currently used, does not; harm other animals, damage the country side. Is able to cover the massive amounts a land quickly and produce a decent sized bag which will (eventually) bring the pig numbers down to a controllable level.

On reflection I don't think there is really any other way, the problem is the vast expanse of land coupled with the speed at which the boars move. I think we would all like to shoot one at a time in a "stalking style scenario" but in this situation is unrealistic.

This is probably the cleanest and quickest method possible in such an exspanse of land short of an apache helicopter with laser guided mounted mini-gun :lol::good:

So what other methods do you think would work :hmm:

Bearing in mind the chosen (tried and tested) method in which is currently used, does not; harm other animals, damage the country side. Is able to cover the massive amounts a land quickly and produce a decent sized bag which will (eventually) bring the pig numbers down to a controllable level.

It's difficult I agree. My post on this thread was really more to do with the conflicting ethics of on the one hand striving for great accuracy and humane kills yet on the other hand supporting what can only be described as random shots at animals.

Should we really support these random shots, done for financial reasons, just because we haven't figured out a better way yet ?

There is only so far "fun" should go. If your fun is injuring lots of hogs for your buzz then I really start to doubt whether, when you say you treat animals with the respect they deserve, that you actually do... Also, in reply to the comment I saw about every shot he hit the hog died, keep watching till it takes 10 and the hog eventually gives up... Very sporting and humane.. yes.

Edited by Beretta Italy