Spring Rape

The Sniper

Well I had my sixth outing onto the same field of spring rape, yesterday.

What a bloody day, two main problems, the intermittent showers and I was downwind from the local sewerage works.

The pigeons still keep coming to this field so I just keep having a go at them.

No spectacular numbers , I am now up to 106 on this field, but I have enjoyed every day.

Has anyone else noticed that pigeons tend to flare off when their dead mates backs are covered in drops of water ?

At the end of yesterday all I could say was ....Long Live Gore Tex :devil:

Sniper

I thought I'd just give a final report on this spring rape field, as I think it has dried up on me, as regards pigeons. The crop is now about 8-9" high and there are no obvious flat patches on it. I have now shot over it 8 times and got a total of 112 pigeons from it. I have purposely left the field 4 days between each outing.

The last twice I have managed 3 pigeons each time. Everywhere else round it for a good mile radius is either winter rape, sugar beet, wheat or barley.

So I thought I would go for another look round yesterday and I did about 40 miles searching for the elusive pigeons. Not a bloody sign anywhere. I didn't just look around , I specifically stopped for a good 1/4 hour at various points and couldn't see any pigeons flying anywhere.

I would value your comments please about this situation. I appreciate that it is still the nesting season but is it just a case of gritting your teeth until harvest time ? Or am I missing something somewhere ?

I'm pleased I've got some rabbiting to do next week or else I would be in for a very lean time.

The last few outings I have done,from a week Thursday,15th,I have shot birds on Linseed *** peas,Linseed,Calabrese,another lot on peas and today peas again.Some of the best fields to shoot are those with a gas gun on.The field I shot today has one ,and no one shoots it.

The only thing you can do is miles!Good luck.Farmageddon

FarmaGeddon,

Thanks for the reply.

I have none of those luscious titbits round my way, to offer the local pigeons.

But I went out last night, before dark, on the way to a wedding reception, about 15 miles from home. Lo and behold , nearby , I saw some vegetable fields of some description, with quite a few pigeons on them.

Guess where I will be later this week ?