Rangefinder

beanieboy

Think one of these would be useful for spotting and of course range. Won't be shooting out beyond 100 yards, so don't need a state of the art piece of kit. Am looking at some of the budget Bushnill, Hawke etc, which retail at just over £100 - anyone recommend a budget rangefinder?

I have both Yardage Pro and Nikon Laser 550. The Nikon is much better build quality. Be very careful that you choose something that works accurately down to about 10 to 20 yards. Some do not work at such short ranges. The only facility that I miss is some form of illuminated read out to make it easier at night. You can get by though, take a reading and then look through it at a brighter area of the night sky in order to see the readout. I would not be without mine.

Some would argue there is more of a need for a rangefinder when using the .22lr as it assists with gauging holdover allowance - it could be argued there is less of a need for one with a HMR as up to 100m you really just point and shoot - would no doubt be useful once you go beyond the 100m mark with the HMR.

Probibally a stupid question but why would someone need a range finder when shooting a 22lr at distances of 100m or less ???

Because your looking at a cosiderable amount of drop and extra windage at 100 yds. Setting you zero at 100 won't give you point and shoot either as your Peak trajectory will be awfully high midrange and you will simply keep missing over the top .

Personally i have another solution stalk in closer to 65 yds or so :lol:

Probibally a stupid question but why would someone need a range finder when shooting a 22lr at distances of 100m or less ???

We all have different abilities, for some distance is an issue, and the .22lr, especially with subs does have an arc, about 4"-5" generally out to 100 yards with a 60 yard zero.

Accurate distance knowledge can be invaluable! :yes::good:

Edited by Dekers

You can accurately zero your rifle, so your Point Blank Range is optimised.

Rangefinding is quite a skill to achieve without a measuring device. Especially when a small bunny 60 yards looks like a large one at 100 yards.

You can accurately zero your rifle, so your Point Blank Range is optimised.

Rangefinding is quite a skill to achieve without a measuring device. Especially when a small bunny 60 yards looks like a large one at 100 yards.

[/quote

Range finders are a good bit of kit and i have one but not for use with a RF.......... practice in the field and you will soon learn what shots are safe and what is not... big or small bunny