First Gun for Son

sixhills 69

Hi I am looking for a air-rifle for my 8 yr old son he has been on my case for sometime now and i have been looking around due to his age and the fact he is small i was thinking about something loke the Ratcatcher or the one up from that i think its the king ratcatcher.

It will be used for rabbiting and as i don't use air guns i thought i would ask. I have read that they can be brought up to the 12ftlb limit but is this hard to do and will it cost a fortune.

I want to make sure he likes it before i go and spend money on a pcp type rifle.

Look forward to any idea's

Thanks

I still think this could be just what the lad needshttp://[http://sportsmk.co.uk/images/big/766.jpg Edited by TaxiDriver

http://sportsmk.co.uk/item/766/

TaxiDriver that gun is 40" long, the guys son is 42" tall... Nice idea, especially for the price point, but I believe it will just be too big.

I'd personally take a look at the Brocock AimX contour, at 27" it's bound to fit nicely! Also very very light, and still full power.

http://brocockltd.vpweb.co.uk/AIMX-RIFLES.html

Best of luck in your search.

Sorry some one has not read the thread i am looking for something to introduce him to the sport other people have mentioned PCP not me i want a light weight SMALL rifle due to his height like a co2 or something so please get your facts right..... :angry:

sixhills - my comment about the PcP's was aimed at the people telling you to to spend a lot of money on a heavy AA PCP when IMHO an old lightweight springer is what you need . I would reiteriate my recommendation for a a secondhand Bsa Meteor at about only 2.5 kg and about 8ftlbs power -they have been made for years so you should be able to pick one up for no more than £50 -

If you want to cut off an extra inch or two its then no biggie as itsd a "pocket money" gun anyway.

If your little chap is not up to the lightweing springer then how about a gat gun or even a Barnet Bandit Crosbow (technically a toy but suprisingly accurate)to maintain his interest for the next year or so until he's ready for a lightweight "real" airgun

Why on earth woud you want to put a pcp in the hands of an 8 year old !

Why not? I was shooting HFT on Sunday and one of the competitors was 5yrs old, shooting a BSA Ultra with a home-made (bright yellow!) stock. He scored 25/60, was chuffed to bits, and I'm sure that rifle will keep him going for years. I don't subscribe to the 'get something rubbish to see if you like it' school of thought.

Canis sorry if i miss understud what you ment, but their are alot of differnt opinions on here i myself started with a springer as PCP's were not invented back then but i was about 12yrs old when i started.

Thinking and reading what members have put and the fact that i would also have use for an air-rifle why not look at one we could both use.

I like the look at the Brocock Aimx Contour :yes:

i bet they are not many second hand ones about but i think that is one route i will be looking at

Thanks

Why not? I was shooting HFT on Sunday and one of the competitors was 5yrs old, shooting a BSA Ultra with a home-made (bright yellow!) stock. He scored 25/60, was chuffed to bits, and I'm sure that rifle will keep him going for years. I don't subscribe to the 'get something rubbish to see if you like it' school of thought.

Surely this example is pure demonstration that every kid is different and will mature physically and mentally at different rates. The OP has stated that his boy is ready for something lightweight. Its about finding something that is suitable for the young lad's needs. Also, if you suplied a kid with competition standard equipment for every sport they showed a small spark of an interest in the average house would be in penury.

Also, if you suplied a kid with competition standard equipment for every sport they showed a small spark of an interest in the average house would be in penury.

Steady on mate - we're talking about a BSA Ultra, not a Steyr! You can get one for the same price as a playstation.

Steady on mate - we're talking about a BSA Ultra, not a Steyr! You can get one for the same price as a playstation.

£300 was the cheapest i could see on GT for a BSA Ultra. Thats a lot of cost for a back garden plinker for use by a lad with "unproven" interest in shooting.

Each to their own then. A BSA Ultra is tiny in the first place, and with a kiddies' stock on (like the one I saw on Sunday) it'd be perfect for a wee lad. It's got completely different handling characteristics to a springer - no recoil so probably easier for a young first timer to start hitting targets well. And if it doesn't float his boat it can easily be sold on again without much loss. Buy him a £50 springer and there's a chance that he'll be put off by the mechanism or the lack of accuracy. However, if £300 is too much then PCP is going to be difficult for sure - ignore all the above!

It's all very well arguing £250 - £300 for a secondhand pcp

What about the £170 (approx) for an air cylinder, Or a suitable stirrup pump in order to charge the thing up with air??

A smaller, lower powered springer cost nothing to run and if a kiddie can learn to use and shoot a springer its gotta bode well for when its time for a PCP surely ?

Edited by TaxiDriver

It's all very well arguing £250 - £300 for a secondhand pcp

What about the £170 (approx) for an air cylinder, Or a suitable stirrup pump in order to charge the thing up with air??

A smaller, lower powered springer cost nothing to run and if a kiddie can learn to use and shoot a springer its gotta bode well for when its time for a PCP surely ?

This is why a CO2 gun would cover both bases. No harsh recoil or technique needed, and cheap(ish) powerplant.

Get a ratcatcher. Its the obvious choice, reletively cheap, self-contained, comfortable to shoot, lightweight.... Need I go on??

Edited by pabs

Its a very difficult choice which at the end of the day will come down to money.

Unfortunatley i do not have any friends in the shooting community that have a suitable air gun for him to test drive as to say and i am not in the situation to purchase such a gun on a whim, As much as i would love to give my son what he wants as most fathers would, i think the path will be a cheap springer and have some wood work done on the stock to make it fit him.

Then we can see were we are going and which path to take.

I would like to thank every one for thier advice and opion but i don't want this thread turning into a dispute of whats best.

Again thanks for all your input and advice much appreciated

Thanks Nigel

:good::good::good: