MODS FOR HMR

Dougy

hello all first post hope its not been asked too much before... BUT :lol:?:/??

at the mo i have a sak on my HMR and am wondering if a T4 or T8 would be of any benefit, would it bag me any more rabbits? thats the be all and end all. not does it look the dogs danglies or any thing like that but is it worth the £200?

at the mo i have a sak on and it doesnt seem to bother the bunnies near that much

i recently took 2 bunnies only 15yds apart from about 90yds. should i save my money and make do or invest in a T4 + :)??

Are there any restrictions on posting pictures on head shot quarry. ??

MESSY ones ?

Welcome to the forum.

The T4 & T8 are very good mods, but your SAK is doing the job, it's just because you are closer to the rifle it seems louder. If you were down range (I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THIS FOR SAFETY REASONS) You wouldn't hear that much, the bullet strike would be louder than the rifle going off.

Yes the T4 & T8 are the dogs danglies, i have a T8, and when i get a .17 i will be using it on there as well as my other rifle's :lol:

Yes the T4 & T8 are the dogs danglies, i have a T8, and when i get a .17 i will be using it on there as well as my other rifle's :lol:

Don't advise that Kip ............Don't know personally about .17 but there could be a risk of unburnt powder collecting in the baffles and the next time you put a fullbore through .............. BOOM!!

Dougy

If your using a scope mounted set up you'll risk glare reflecting back in the scope off the larger moderators :/

If and only if I had to replace the Sak I have on my .17HMR it would be for the ASE Utra. The Sak is a fine moderator and you will not notice any improvement using a T4 or similar.

We recently compared the Sak to a full bore Pez and the differences were negligable. The Pez gave a slighty lower thump where as the Sak gave a slighlty higher crack. But as far as report sounds, they both provided the same level of moderation. If anything the Sak was better as the report was much shorter.

The ASE Utra is apparently 10% quieter, so may be worth the upgrade. But only if your Sak is broken, Sold or mounted on a different rifle. Its also £55-60 over the Sak which is only £29.99.

Food for thought eh. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

The T4 & T8 are very good mods, but your SAK is doing the job, it's just because you are closer to the rifle it seems louder. If you were down range (I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THIS FOR SAFETY REASONS) You wouldn't hear that much, the bullet strike would be louder than the rifle going off.

I'd second this if you can do it safely try standing down range you won't have any idea where the noise came from. Its the supersonic crack you can't get rid of. If you fire a round at very short distance it is no louder than a .22lr which surprised me but shows how good a job the sak is doing. But over distance you do get the crack but like you I've had plenty of occasions I've shot rabbits sitting next to each other.

Don't advise that Kip ............Don't know personally about .17 but there could be a risk of unburnt powder collecting in the baffles and the next time you put a fullbore through .............. BOOM!!

Cheers Ive. :lol: Sod that then :/

Is the .17hmr prone to leaving unburnt powder then :)

Interesting discussion, I would have thought that the .17HMR was not prone to this. It is a very fast round indeed and matches that of some centfires. What would be the contributing factor to having unburnt powder.

When I decided to get the 17HMR I spent time reseraching barrel lengths and found that the optimium length to be 21 inches. The shorter the barrel the less power behind the bullet. So could this mean that in a shorter barrel there is a risk of having unburnt powder deposited in the mod.

Also, if unburnt powder is accumulating in the mod, wouldnt this eventually be ignited even if it remains on the 17HMR.

Thanks for replies.

think i will stay with the sak then from your experience, after all £180 is a big jump from £29 if it does "nearly" the same job.

"Axe" if i may ask, as you have a HMR what is your average group at about 100yds ? is 1inch an acceptable consistant group at that range.

cheers

Dougy

Dougy, I would say that a 1 inch group at 100yards is good enough mate. I havent tried a proper grouping on 100yards as of yet :*) But at 50 yards I get .17 Clover Leaf patterns and was hitting golf balls at 100yards (Don't try this at home kids). :/

I usually zero on first point at 40yards but had recently changed ammo and was able to zero on the golf course range. I used my standard target of 1cm bull 4cm circle then 8cm outer ring. Each shot was preceeded by a turn of the dial and the final shot went through the 1cm bull.

the significance of grouping depends a lot on what you're shooting, and how you're shooting. If you look at the yanks they clamp the gun down on a proper table etc then try for minute groups. If you're getting an inch lying prone off a bipod or rest etc then it'll do the job on most vermin. Its about what I get with mine though I must confess to have not spent much time punching paper just to check zero occasionally.

Just out of interest what gun have you got and have you done anything to it yet.

Its a Ruger all weather, 77/17

no end of posts on other forums rip them apart but i find it pretty good,

if not "now" very good. after floating the barrel.

also got the trigger replaced......... my little diget couldnt manage the pull :/

OK if your working out on your finger though

its very iffy on the cleaning though. doesnt like it that much.....bit like the owner :/

Dougy

Why put a big moderator on a HMR i had a SAK on mine then tried a ASE utra the SAK is now redundant in the safe.

As for grouping i posted a target a few weeks back 4 shots at 100 yards covered by a £1 coin that was from prone with bypod got to admit it was a perfect day no wind at all.

:/:/ :look: :D

Dougy

Why put a big moderator on a HMR i had a SAK on mine then tried a ASE utra the SAK is now redundant in the safe.

As for grouping i posted a target a few weeks back 4 shots at 100 yards covered by a £1 coin that was from prone with bypod got to admit it was a perfect day no wind at all.

:look: :D :yp: :o

Yes as the large mod goes it had been my thoughts also, just an idea i had :/

and as you said a perfect day with no wind it makes a hell of allot of difference to how you group.

will be going out later see if i can get any more rabbits.One thing they are devistating when they make contact :/

Mike, do you think you would be able to record the report sound from the two mods and pop them on the forum? I for one would be very interested to hear the difference.

Axe if i knew how to do it i would let me know and i will try but have to be next week,

Going down to Will Beasleys with kdubya shooting in the morning for couple of days back home thursday sometime. :/:/ :look: :D