new to airgunning

BSA SPRINGER .177

hi everyone i decided to get my old airgun out the loft now my kids are abit older and do abit of plinking in the garden i zeroed my scope and shot a .177 pellet at 42ft with a .177 pellet which i thought was a good shot i'd like to get in to feild shooting ie.rabbits,pigeons,maggies.ect but not sure how to go about it any advise would be great,my airgun is a bsa meteor .177 springer with 4x15 smk scope nothing special but i love it :good::good:

Edited by BSA SPRINGER .177

Its a huge subject!

For starters, I would get plenty of paper-punching done at the ranges you want to hunt at and see that you can consistently hit a pound coin sized kill size reliably at these chosen ranges.

After that we move on to field craft etc.

If you let people know approximately where you are in the country, there may be somebody near you who could give you a hand and show you the ropes.

Regards

Zaiyn

:good:

Its a huge subject!

For starters, I would get plenty of paper-punching done at the ranges you want to hunt at and see that you can consistently hit a pound coin sized kill size reliably at these chosen ranges.

After that we move on to field craft etc.

If you let people know approximately where you are in the country, there may be somebody near you who could give you a hand and show you the ropes.

Regards

Zaiyn

thanks for the speedy reply im in nottingham and dont know anybody into airgunning so all advise given is very welcome :good::good:

There's too much to put in one post but the best bits of advice I can give you are:

1. Get to know your gun's, and your, capabilities at different ranges and wind conditions by shooting lots and lots of pellets.

2. Do some research on quarry species and the law (what, where, why etc) so you don't fall foul of the law.

3. This can be the trickiest part, find someone who will grant you permission to shoot on their land - farms, golf courses, rich friends with huge gardens!.

Then you can begin to learn field craft, how to get close, hides, species habbits and activities, weather, rangefinding etc.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hey Springer and welcome,

You've been given some great advice above, and I would just like to add that the meteor is a great rifle, but will only have enough power to get clean kills to a certain distance. If your meteor is getting on and not been serviced for a while it could be around 9 ft lbs. So I wouldnt want to use it for hunting.

2 things you could consider are getting the gun serviced and getting it chronoed to see how much power you have.

But for now just enjoy practicing and learning.

Andy

thanks for the advise so far its a great help have been looking up on the law and what you can and cant shoot as i would like to be on the wright side of the law ,have tried one farm with lots of land but got knocked back the farmer said 'i already have people that shoot but dont know when their shooting so to be safe i have to say no' and i am planning on getting my rifle serviced and chronoed just for self confidence of knowing its safe and im legal.... :good::good::good:

Edited by BSA SPRINGER .177