problem with CZ 511

Foxer

hi all my uncle has a CZ 511 semi auto 22 rimfire that has a problem cycling the rounds :D . The problem occurs when the magazine has more than 3 or 4 rounds in it (it works perfectly when there is only 2 round in the mag). when it ' jams' the fired cartridge is thrown clear as normal but the next round gets stuck in the chamber pointing at about 45 degrees upwards causing the gun to be useless untill the jammed round is taken out, also the round which has been jammed has alot of damage to the 'nose' of the bullet making this round basicly unusable aswell :look: . I hope I have given enough detail and maybe someone out there knows what could be causing this ( i have an idea about the magazine spring is too stiff :/ ) :/

foxer

Edited by Foxer

i aslo own a CZ511 and have that problem when we use certain subsonic ammunition, i think this is because it uses the blowback from the gun to cycle the bolt. we also find this to happen with the first few rounds until the weapon is sought of warmed up. hope this helps and here is a pic of my 511 to make sure they are the same weapon.

its second down:CZ511

cheers

flash

dunganick: he did use an old tooth brush and gave it a good clean inside the action with some WD40 but this didnt seem to make any difference, is WD40 a good thing to use or would some proper gun cleaner be better??

flash: the ammo he uses is i think CCI of some sort, cant remeber the type though :/ . we did also try some high velocities but these did the same :/ . so it looks like it will have to go back to the local gun shop where he got it from maybe they can do something about as he hasn't had the gun long.

foxer

I don't have a CZ but have often been told they don't jam - unlike my ruger 10/22 which does occasionally jam if I allow the action to get clogged up.

Despite what others say about WD40 - I exploit the spray aspect of this and let it flood the area, bringing out the gunpowder with it as it drains. I also use a small paint brush and wooden toothpick with a tissue on it to get behind bits.

If this mostly occurs at a give amount of ammo used/unused I'd look to the magazine to see if the spring action is as it should be.

I find eley extra + to be the most reliable subsonic hollow points, they also feel cleaner.

I use CCI supersonics (solid and hollowpoint) more reliably - but prefer the discreet subs.

ok cheers for the replies chaps :/ ill have to go see him later on today and have a better look at the magazine to see what the spring is doing in there, and if i can't find anything wrong in there we shall have to have a go at bending the magazine a little.

foxer

DONT BEND THE MAG LIPS.

If the rifle (and mag) is perfectly clean and it still does it try changing ammo until you find a type that works. CCI or Winchester are usually pretty good in CZ autos.

If you wish to continue to use the ammo you are using presently the problem is the recoil spring and it needs altering.

Ring Edgar Bros and get a new one then start chopping 1/2 a coil off at a time until it works ok with the ammo you want to use.

Never try to improve a CZ auto trigger as one swipe too much and you have a fully auto - Oh why dont they do 50 rd mnags for CZs !

The spring mod applies to the 10/22 as well but you cannot buy a spring only the cocking lever and rod with a spring on it.

DONT BEND THE MAG LIPS.

If the rifle (and mag) is perfectly clean and it still does it try changing ammo until you find a type that works. CCI or Winchester are usually pretty good in CZ autos.

If you wish to continue to use the ammo you are using presently the problem is the recoil spring and it needs altering.

Ring Edgar Bros and get a new one then start chopping 1/2 a coil off at a time until it works ok with the ammo you want to use.

Never try to improve a CZ auto trigger as one swipe too much and you have a fully auto - Oh why dont they do 50 rd mnags for CZs !

The spring mod applies to the 10/22 as well but you cannot buy a spring only the cocking lever and rod with a spring on it.

Yep, I had a Brno semi, and the trigger was a dog.

Had it lightened by a gunsmith, and at the first shot the gun went brrrrrrrp.

Funny, I thought, try another shot - but the mag was empty.

It was quite a novelty for the first 50 shots, and then I took it back for a complete new trigger assembly.

The trigger works on a rotating cam principle, and the gunsmith had ground too much off the cam, with the result of a fully auto, semi-auto.

Don