Labrador Attacks Child in park

Boromir

"They looked friendly, and the dog was off the lead right next to a children's park, so I assumed it would be fine and we walked over"

This should probably read

"I wasn't in control of my son and he ran over to the dog and got in its face" :good:

Yep, and it shows the need for educating people who aren't dog owners, and even those who are that no matter what they think or how a dog is behaving on or off the lead, they shouldn't just go up to a dog without permission from the owner.

We've had people run up to Jess and try to pat or stroke her without permission when we have been out with her, and to be honest it boils my ****! Parents don't seem to care either!

I got bitten by a staffy when I was 5 years old. Frightened the life out of me, but was nothing as painful as the crack I got off my mum for going near a dog I didn't know!

a dog and a puppy . there a clue

we went over . a three year old is either off or full speed , no inbetween.

small kid in a dogs eyes is attacking puppy ???

what do people expect ? a park is a park after all . men women children dogs birds bees and what ever decides to walk in it . my dog i would like to think doesnt bite , but she does use her mouth to stear away a hand when playing or fighting with the cat .

its not front page news its a sad thing but only reported from one side . dogs arnt always the problem in my eyes . sorry

I agree that the child's mother showed little commonsense. The dog may well have been defending the pup, but the dog still attacked. If it had been a Staffy, GSD or Rottweiller - imagine the uproar on this forum. Out would come the well used phrases like - "I don't know why people have these dogs".

I appreciate they might have done serious damage, before the blind come out and defend their breed, but all dogs are potentially dangerous, in the wrong hands, wrong situation, at the wrong time.

The owner was stupid and so was the mother, but it is the youngster who suffered and ultimately, so will the dog.

Yep, and it shows the need for educating people who aren't dog owners, and even those who are that no matter what they think or how a dog is behaving on or off the lead, they shouldn't just go up to a dog without permission from the owner.

Well i have 2 Dalmations as well as me springer, '101 Dalmations' film done my breed of dog no good at all... People just seem to think they are just like the film and people never ever ask to stoke them, they just do it!!! What gets me that Dalmations we're once breed as carrage dogs/guard dogs, and with that come strength and speed. I trust my dogs but always pull them away from people especially kids until i have there collar in hand 'Just in case'

"They looked friendly, and the dog was off the lead right next to a children's park, so I assumed it would be fine and we walked over"

This should probably read

"I wasn't in control of my son and he ran over to the dog and got in its face" :good:

Six of one and half a dozen of the other really isn't it?

You should expect small kids to be around a play park should you not, and kids will always be kids no matter how hard you try. I have two dogs, one a labrador and the other is 55kg of Rhodesian Ridgeback x English Mastiff...kids always want to cuddle the lab .

I will always call the dogs to heel and then introduce the kids to the dogs. If I see a little 'un approach either of them they get called to heel instantly.

My dogs have never bitten or shown any inclination to do so, but you don't take the chance, in the same way, I'd never leave a small kid in the room alone with either of them. If the big fella got out of hand, the consequences don't bear thinking about!

I have two Japanese Akitas.

The one on the right is 10 stone or 63.5kg, in new money. He looks very cuddly and people make a bee-line for him. He is never off a lead and never gets let anywhere near child or adult.

I would not take the chance. Sadly people do.

Well i have 2 Dalmations as well as me springer, '101 Dalmations' film done my breed of dog no good at all... People just seem to think they are just like the film and people never ever ask to stoke them, they just do it!!! What gets me that Dalmations we're once breed as carrage dogs/guard dogs, and with that come strength and speed. I trust my dogs but always pull them away from people especially kids until i have there collar in hand 'Just in case'

My brother also has the same problem, that and the numpty who give it their children "oooh a spotty dog like in the movie" IT'S A DALMATION you don't say "ooh a long golden and White dog with a pointy nose" when you see a lassie look a like !!!

simply put if the dog isn't good with children the owner should have been more aware simple, thats not a warning nip thats a proper bite which is unusual for a lab. I'm fine with kids coming up to mine but she is spot on with them, but she grew up spending a lot of time in my sisters nursery with loads of children and has them about a lot. Many dogs don't so people with children need to understand it.

It's interesting to see that since it's a Lab that did the damage half the blame goes on the mother and child, had it been a "dangerous" breed it would have been an open and shut case!!

Beautiful dogs by the way Gordon, my missus is still set on getting one when we move out of London.

RC45 -food bills are lowish. They eat less than our GSDs - which we had before Akitas. The bitch is about 100 pounds, but she doesn't eat a great deal either.

Cosd - they are good looking dogs, but the dog attracts a lot of attention, being long haired - a bit of a rarity in Akitas and classed as a fault.

I tire of asking people not to grab them or try to stroke them. It is the downside of owning them.

It's interesting to see that since it's a Lab that did the damage half the blame goes on the mother and child, had it been a "dangerous" breed it would have been an open and shut case!!

If a mother and child had walked up to a pug, akita or a bloody hyena and got in it's space without asking permission of the owner I'd still blame the mother and child.

The dog didn't run off and attack someone, more likely it was defending its space and the pup.

We don't know all the facts, we don't know if the dog was at the owners side, 5 paces ahead/behind, we don't know if the child walked up and the dog lunged, we don't know if the child ran up and grabbed the dogs ears or went between the older dog and the pup.

:yes:

PS: during a playfight the other night my lab nipped me on the nose by mistake during the excitement. she knew she'd done wrong as soon as she did it, but it's one of the reasons why I don't allow uninvited children near her. I'd like to think that she wouldn't do anything (and she never has with any children of friends that we've had at the house, she is very gentle with them) but I wouldn't rule it out if she had been startled by an unannounced pat, stroke or tail pull.

Edited by J@mes

got to agree with you there James

my daughter pulls, tugs, jumps and generally chases the Cocker Spaniel my parents have around the house, he lets them, but he has growled before and even if he hadn't we make sure they are not in the same room alone, it only takes one poke in the wrong place for the dog to say no, on often that can inc a nip, just like they would in a wild pack

Sensationist media at it again. Could they have found a more aggressive pic of a labrador? Dogs and kids do not mix unless supervised. Irresponsible owner and irresponsible parent and not least irresponsible newspaper. It is a shame the media cant use incidents like this to educate people but I suppose that wouldnt sell newspapers or am I just cynical in my advancing years?

Funny how the mother is allowed to be protective of her littl'un after the event. If she'd been as protective as the dog had been of the puppy leading up to the attack, things would have been different. I have a black lab (and a flat coat) and she is the typical goofie softie, but she's a rexcue from ireland and so we have no idea what happened to her before she came here, and neither would any stranger, so we have to be careful. Read. Some of the comments on the article too. Some people calling for all dogs to be banned. Gotta love blinkered over reactions. I vote we ban children.

yer it shud of bein on a lead but a dog cud be the niceist dog like a man who lives over the rode from me was out at 7 one morning and a kid in the same street aka a little **** went over and start messin with him man told him to packit in but he pulld his tail so the rotty bit the kid and the mother and farther blamd the man so he had to put him to sleep