Trout taste like mud

Woodcock Magnet

I'm, a Trout Angler/Sporting Gun, My topic:- So many,,, people have said to me over the years, " I tasted trout and it just had an earthy muddy taste" Answer:- When you get a still water fish, de-scale and wash the fish, fillet (gut) the fish, remove the (dark vain) running along the inside spine with your thumb, Top and tail the fish if you wish, Place the fish then into a sink or bucket of salty water (In context similar to a pan of salty water used for vegitables) Leave in the liquid for 8hrs ( I usually leave over night) They are then ready to cook or freeze, I've never had a muddy earthy tasting still water fish yet. I hope I've explained it all,.ok. ENJOY your next Trout/Perch, whatever. Mines a pint, Warm Barrels, WIZ :drinks:

Pike and perch are delicious, I have never had a "muddy" one.

Trout from smaller coloured waters can taste muddy to various degrees, some are inedible, even after 8 hours soaking.

The bigger and clearer the water, the better the fish quality.

Large reservoirs are the best IMO.

I saw a documentary a while ago about carp farming, they moved the fish to filtered freshwater tanks for the last week or so to clean them out to remove the earthiness.

My earlier comment was a nod in the direction of our Eastern European cousins who keep getting told off for eating all our coarse fish.

Pike and perch are delicious, I have never had a "muddy" one.

Trout from smaller coloured waters can taste muddy to various degrees, some are inedible, even after 8 hours soaking.

The bigger and clearer the water, the better the fish quality.

Large reservoirs are the best IMO.

The only stillwater trout I've had that didnt taste muddy were from Stouting nr Hythe, Kent. Tiny lake fed from chalk springs straight out of the downs and gin clear. Great pub next door.

It seems my experience varies as to where on the lake they are caught. When i've caught fish on Booobies near the bottom they havve tasted muddy, when i've caught on an intermediate/floater near the surface lovely trout taste. This is based on my experience of Llys y Fran resevoir Pembrokeshire so not very conclusive! However will try the salt bucket method next time. Thanks for the tip Woodcock Magnet.

Cheers

Aled

I've not had too much of a problem with trout tasting "muddy"! When I get them I put a couple of slices of fresh lemon inside them before I pop them under the grill, or even better a couple of slices of lemon inside them and then wrap them in foil and on the barbie! Yummy with fresh crusty bread and washed down with a pint or two of good ale!! :yes:

Anytime your in Kent drop me a line. Haven't been to Stowting for ages and would love to head up there in the summer, great evening ticket water and great ales at the Tiger Inn a stones throw away.

Thanks for the invite mate but I can't see me getting down your way in near future cus i'm a shift worker 3days on then 3days off and when I'm off my Mrs thinks I should be working on house projects, I manage to get to my woods hideaway at least one of them days off anyway. When I win lotto or retire I'll come down and see you and cast a line on that water, ok, A.T.B Wiz :good: :good: :good:

These ones did not taste of mud!

IMG_0196.jpg

The Diver Dave wader team had another red letter day out this week. We try to take a day clear of work once a month and go fishing or stalking together, and after successful outings to the Dee and Spey we were looking for another fishing venue. After repairing a couple of pairs of waders for Ghillie and goose guide John Lewis we were invited to join him on the Ythan Estuary, an area I probably had not fished for 30 years. Bob and Iain are keen sea trout anglers, I am more of a salmon angler so I suppose it was a fair compromise. The plan was to meet at the Newburgh Bridge at 0630, and catch the second part of the rising tide, initially fishing from the bank. We were to tool up with Tasmanian devils, a substitute for Sutherland specials, and terrors, long sand eel type flies, so both spinning and fly rods were required.

We started with a dram at the bridge, to wish the team luck. The tide was low and dropping, and we had to start reasonably quickly. Iain on one bank and Bob and I on the other, we started with the Tazzies, and on his first cast Iain was into a very lively fish, which jumped regularly before he landed a fine sea liced sea trout of about 3lbs. We waved our congratulations as he landed the fish. However we rather changed our waves as he hooked another fish a couple of casts later. Two seatrout landed within the first half hour. I then went on to catch a series of finnock, I think 3 before I hooked and lost 3 good seatrout in about 15 minutes. It was rapid action fishing!

However as the river dropped the fishing slowed, so we moved on and took out our fly rods. The sun was bright, but the wind was rising and I was finding it tricky to get a reasonable line out, however, struggling of both Iain and Bob landed good sea trout, probably a couple of pounds at least each.

The tide turned and we decided to have lunch, and take a break. It was already a successful day, and now it was very bright and sunny, but also really quite windy. The plan now was to fish from the boat, on the rapidly rising tide. What was surprising now was the number of seals, there must have been hundreds, surfing up the river on the ride. John got us sorted out with the boats and we whizzed off up river, anchoring in a river flowing very rapidly up stream! The incoming tide had huge power and it was not like harling on the Tay, as the river was both wide and powerful. Action was slower now, we could see Bob and John on the other boat, anchored a short distance away taking the odd finnock, but action was distinctly slower, Iain and I were struggling – in what was a baking hot day. We moved a couple of times until john guided us into a quiet bay

The action was not frantic, with fish tugging and following the lure to the boat each cast. It was like a rainbow fishery on a sunny afternoon, except these were wild sea liced seatrout, and fought like demons. We lost numerous fish, had tugs and pulls most casts and landed a good few. There must have been hundreds of fish in the bay!

We ended up with 16 seatrout to 5 ½ lbs, my biggest in probably 30 years! All of us had fish to 3lbs and additionally all had numerous finnock, probably 8 – 10 each. All this on a sunny day, fishing in salt water, Scottish seatrout fishing does not get better. The fishery has a 2 fish limit per rod, thereafter it is C&R. Though the estuary is split into a number of beats and has a small angling club there is tons of available fishing water. It is stunning value at £30 a day.

These ones did not taste of mud!

IMG_0196.jpg

The Diver Dave wader team had another red letter day out this week. We try to take a day clear of work once a month and go fishing or stalking together, and after successful outings to the Dee and Spey we were looking for another fishing venue. After repairing a couple of pairs of waders for Ghillie and goose guide John Lewis we were invited to join him on the Ythan Estuary, an area I probably had not fished for 30 years. Bob and Iain are keen sea trout anglers, I am more of a salmon angler so I suppose it was a fair compromise. The plan was to meet at the Newburgh Bridge at 0630, and catch the second part of the rising tide, initially fishing from the bank. We were to tool up with Tasmanian devils, a substitute for Sutherland specials, and terrors, long sand eel type flies, so both spinning and fly rods were required.

We started with a dram at the bridge, to wish the team luck. The tide was low and dropping, and we had to start reasonably quickly. Iain on one bank and Bob and I on the other, we started with the Tazzies, and on his first cast Iain was into a very lively fish, which jumped regularly before he landed a fine sea liced sea trout of about 3lbs. We waved our congratulations as he landed the fish. However we rather changed our waves as he hooked another fish a couple of casts later. Two seatrout landed within the first half hour. I then went on to catch a series of finnock, I think 3 before I hooked and lost 3 good seatrout in about 15 minutes. It was rapid action fishing!

However as the river dropped the fishing slowed, so we moved on and took out our fly rods. The sun was bright, but the wind was rising and I was finding it tricky to get a reasonable line out, however, struggling of both Iain and Bob landed good sea trout, probably a couple of pounds at least each.

The tide turned and we decided to have lunch, and take a break. It was already a successful day, and now it was very bright and sunny, but also really quite windy. The plan now was to fish from the boat, on the rapidly rising tide. What was surprising now was the number of seals, there must have been hundreds, surfing up the river on the ride. John got us sorted out with the boats and we whizzed off up river, anchoring in a river flowing very rapidly up stream! The incoming tide had huge power and it was not like harling on the Tay, as the river was both wide and powerful. Action was slower now, we could see Bob and John on the other boat, anchored a short distance away taking the odd finnock, but action was distinctly slower, Iain and I were struggling – in what was a baking hot day. We moved a couple of times until john guided us into a quiet bay

The action was not frantic, with fish tugging and following the lure to the boat each cast. It was like a rainbow fishery on a sunny afternoon, except these were wild sea liced seatrout, and fought like demons. We lost numerous fish, had tugs and pulls most casts and landed a good few. There must have been hundreds of fish in the bay!

We ended up with 16 seatrout to 5 ½ lbs, my biggest in probably 30 years! All of us had fish to 3lbs and additionally all had numerous finnock, probably 8 – 10 each. All this on a sunny day, fishing in salt water, Scottish seatrout fishing does not get better. The fishery has a 2 fish limit per rod, thereafter it is C&R. Though the estuary is split into a number of beats and has a small angling club there is tons of available fishing water. It is stunning value at £30 a day.

Thats very impresive lads and i can see you guys are great friends and thats lovely to see, I wish you well, tight lines, Wiz :good: :good: :good:

The north Europeans eat a lot of coarse fish. When I go to Cyprus the Bulgarian anglers regard roach as the prime eating fish, and you have only to read an English fishing book from the 1940's or earlier to realise that we used to eat them too.

In Holland you often find hooks on the ceiling of their cellars where they hung a wet sack containing a carp. The fish would be kept for several days in the wet sack and fed milk and bread so it lost the earthy taste. Poles put their carp in the bath for a few days before eating them for the same purpose.

In Sweden there are huge freshwater lakes where trawlers catch bream, roach, perch and pike for the domestic market.

It is us who are odd, not them.