Shooting Rabbits & Hares

spurgate

• 4 years later...

In my experience providing you are capable of shooting the hare in the correct place (between the ear and eye) and within range a sub 12 ft air rifle is more than man enough for the job, I have shot two one with my S410 .177 at 30 yards using H&N field and the second using my BSA R10 MK2 .22 using Air Arms Diablo at 34 yards, both were dead with one shot

Every shooter has different capabilities but make sure you shoot to yours! The last thing you want to do is injure a hare the noise is haunting by all accounts and that only promotes air gun enthusiasts in a bad light.

I don't agree with shooting hares as they are in decline and im lucky if I see more than three or four in a year .

also have been asked not to shoot them on my perm not that I would anyway.

Rabbits are by far more damaging to crops and land in general than hares as I see it and have experienced .

in the right conditions you might be able to take down a hare with a sub 12 lb rifle but as said they are a very hardy and haveing had trouble with big mature buck rabbits(very similar in size to a medium sized hare) in the past at 20 yards with a full power legal limit pcp with near if not perfect shot placement and had to watch and listen to it screaming and going to and froe while trying to fallow up a shot or trying to catch it to end it!

I personally wouldn't use a air rifle on hares at sub 12lb limits far to many variables .. pellet type used and weight, cal,rifle out put, wind, range and its a very hardy animal too!

Just my thoughts on it I would rather watch them as they are not a pest around whey anyhow .. if I had to shoot them then it would be fac or shotgun.

Just to add!

I was told back in the 70's from a keeper,that if you pick up a Leveret, (after i found and picked up one),your scent will make its parents abandon it.

So the one in the photo had it comming either way!

Edited by mickyh

Just to add!

I was told back in the 70's from a keeper,that if you pick up a Leveret, (after i found and picked up one),your scent will make its parents abandon it.

So the one in the photo had it comming either way!

that's the reason i kept it,it was pickup up from infont of a mower at a race course,he's now approx 5yrs old now :good:

hi mate

you gun will be more than enough to the job and can also be easier to shoot than the .22 version as the trajectory is alot flatter as to what distance thats always going to be down to you mate it takes very little ftp to kill a rabbit its up to the shooter to put the pellet in the right place my s200 .177 will drop rabbits out to 65 yards when the conditions are right this is my s200 taking rabbits at various ranges best on that day was 50yards

atb gary

Great shooting Gary, .177 is a calibre i use a lot when shooting at night with NV scope

i use my HW100KT in .177 cal with a nite site wolf fitted, as for hares i leave well alone

not many on my shoots so no reason to kill them, its not the calibre that counts its

accuracy that counts!!!!!!

atb brian

• 4 weeks later...