Seals

Whitebridges

It is legal to shoot seals in the UK?

I am looking for some information around the legal requirements regarding the culling of seals.

1.Circumstances in which seals may be shot.

2.The recommended calibre and gun fit for this purpose.

3.Species that may be shot in Britiain.

4.The apllication process and licence requirements.

Thanks.

13.27 Under the Conservation of Seals Act 1970, seals may be shot by fishermen and others to prevent damage to fishing nets.Seals may also be shot under licences issued by DEFRA or the Scottish Executive Environment and Rural Affairs Department (SEERAD). No firearm may be used except a rifle using ammunition with a muzzle energy of greater than 600 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 45 grains. This equates to at least a .22 Hornet centrefire rifle using 45 grain, although this cartridge is, at best, only marginally humane.

Edited by kip270

I suggest you have it added to your FAC indirectly or directly.

I wrote a letter to my Constabulary detailing the species I wished to be covered - including seals - and they confirmed their acceptance by letter. I keep that with me at all times.

This makes for a much simpler listing on ones FAC although I realize some Police Authorities feel the need to denote each and every quarry specific to each calibre held.

If your authority is one of those then you may find, despite arguing the point, you are forced down this road.

I think what Newtotheflock is actually saying is "are you a fisherman from Scotland or are you completely mental?"

No Munglur what I meant was " are you looking at controlling a fisheries problem"

Pest control does not just exsist on land, and I do not believe all pigeon and rabbit shooters are farmers.

NTTF