Geese

FalconFN

I've been invited by a friend to do some goose shooting in September. I'm a little unsure about the whole thing as I've never done it before and I would like to know any of your best practice tips and methods before I make a decision (I know that wildfowlers have strong views on certain issues).

We will be using 20g and 12g with special goose shot (he has the carts but i don't know exactly what ones), what I would like know is:

Are wild geese good to eat? I've heard they are tough and if they are inedible I won't go.

What part of the bird do you aim at, Head or chest?

Which bird to shoot? if they are in formation do you go for the first or last bird?

Species identification - how easy is it to confuse species in flight?

Sorry for so many questions but I want to get a bit of input before I decide whether to go or not.

I've been invited by a friend to do some goose shooting in September. I'm a little unsure about the whole thing as I've never done it before and I would like to know any of your best practice tips and methods before I make a decision (I know that wildfowlers have strong views on certain issues).

We will be using 20g and 12g with special goose shot (he has the carts but i don't know exactly what ones), what I would like know is:

Are wild geese good to eat? I've heard they are tough and if they are inedible I won't go.

Which bird to shoot? if they are in formation do you go for the first or last bird?

Sorry for so many questions but I want to get a bit of input before I decide whether to go or not.

If you get an offer to go shooting, do not question it just go. I am sure you will be with your friend if you are not to sure of the species he can double check. You are looking for a clean kill so head, neck area, but like all shooting you may bring one down with one pellet in the right place. Shoot at whatever bird is more likely to fall to your shot. Difficult to say until you are under them. If you are not going to eat them, don't shoot them. Do a search on line for different ways to cook them.

Brief answer is:

Younger birds are much better to eat. Older birds tend to lead the skien so try not to shoot the front ones. Swing from the head,(easier said than done). Your friend should keep you right regarding species :good:

Unless you are absolutely certain that your friend is an experienced shot and capable bird identifier you`d do well to make a start on improving your own bird ID ability.

There is plenty of bird ID stuff on the internet.Check out for yourself, you`ll learn more that way, which species are shootable and find some moving pictures with sound on You Tube.

You will find that your skill quickly improves. It`s no good saying in a court of Law, "He told me to shoot it."

Make absolutely certain that the cartridges are non toxic or that the law is otherwise being adhered to if you are in Scotland. Again, it`s no defence at Law to say "He gave me the cartridges and said they were O.K."

You don`t say which of you is using the 20 bore, but a 20 on big birds like geese, especially immensely powerful canadas, requires very precise shot placement.

All geese are particularly edible. Just cook them long and low. When shooting, ignore the body and treat the head like a teal.

Don`t get cocky with bird selection. Shoot the nearest one!

Whatever else you do - GO! It will be one of your most exiting days shooting yet.

Lots of Geese are off the menu without written consent from Natural England (soon to be simply Defra again I understand).

If you are talking the Canadas, then yes, younger is best (as ALL species). If you can tell that when they are in flight and you have to make snap decisions you are doing well.

The reality is, what and where they have been feeding for the foreseeable past is also VERY important to taste/texture!

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

Lots of Geese are off the menu without written consent from Natural England (soon to be simply Defra again I understand). WHAT!Please explain, both points!

If you are talking the Canadas, then yes, younger is best (as ALL species). If you can tell that when they are in flight and you have to make snap decisions you are doing well.

The reality is, what and where they have been feeding for the foreseeable past is also VERY important to taste/texture!

ATB!

Dekers,

I don`t understand your comment "Lots of geese are off the menu without written consent from Natural England."

Have I missed something? Could you explain please?

Perhaps lots was misleading, but as there are not that many perhaps it wasn't, anyway, Greylag are off the menu and Egyptian only in very limited circumstances.

ENGLAND, I don't know about the rest of UK! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Lots of Geese are off the menu without written consent from Natural England (soon to be simply Defra again I understand).

ATB!

Dekers you been into your mums drink cabinet again, naughty boy :D

Yes some good info there for you...just a shame Dekers managed to duck out of answering '(soon to be simply Defra again I understand)' ;)

Unless he's privvy to some government info the rest of us are too low down the pecking order to be told he's talking out of his backside...yet again!

I hope no one minds me gently reinforcing my original point,of particular relevance to newcomers to the sport,and amply illustrated by this thread,about the importance of finding things out for yourself.

Perhaps not in detail down to the Nth degree, but enough to get a broad brush picture.

Not difficult in these days of the interweb.

The BASC website,which is accessible to non members is always a good starting point.

I hope no one minds me gently reinforcing my original point,of particular relevance to newcomers to the sport,and amply illustrated by this thread,about the importance of finding things out for yourself.

Perhaps not in detail down to the Nth degree, but enough to get a broad brush picture.

Not difficult in these days of the interweb.

The BASC website,which is accessible to non members is always a good starting point.

Yes, thank you and thanks for your first post. I have done research (this forum being just one source of information) and looked at the BASC website but it is pretty limited as to info on the questions I asked.

Wildfowling is new to me and I want to know as much as I can BEFORE going so I don't make any bad decisions.

ATB

Yes some good info there for you...just a shame Dekers managed to duck out of answering '(soon to be simply Defra again I understand)' ;)

Unless he's privvy to some government info the rest of us are too low down the pecking order to be told he's talking out of his backside...yet again!

Chap, it was announced months back in the early days of this Governments cutbacks that many departments would disappear, and Natural England was mentioned.

Defra used to deal with the General Licences several years ago and then set up another separate division, Natural England to do it.

The suggestion was it has had its day and will be done by Defra again!

Pay attention and try to keep up chap!

:D:good:

Where abouts was that Dekers as the proper list says no such thing ;)

Retain and substantially reform suggests its staying

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_191543.pdf

Chap, it was announced months back in the early days of this Governments cutbacks that many departments would disappear, and Natural England was mentioned.

Right or wrong it was sited, and I noted it with some joy. :yes::good:

That's why I said..... (soon to be simply Defra again I understand).

Edited by Dekers