which rifle?

iamspartacus

Hi guys,

I am in the process of applying for my fac and am looking at which rifle to purchase. This is where you come in. I want a .22 rimfire for no more than £300 that will suit both targets and rabbits. I know many of you have suggested a rifle out of the cz range, but which one, as there seem to be about 12 different cz models :oops: Anyway if anyone's got any suggestions then all help would be welcome. Also if anyones got any scope and moderator suggestions then that would be a big help too. I basically want a rig that is good but not at the top price end? ???

Thanks

IAS

I have just bought an Anschutz 1407 of a club mate for £50 including open sights. It can be fitted with a scope and is not too heavy to carry around.

It depends what you mean by targets? If you mean proper target shooting then you will need a rifle capable of carrying open sights and a handstop and sling.

This limits you for choice of make, most of the rifles will be Anschutz, walther or Feinwerkbau. Target rifles do tend to be heavy, the Anschutz 1813 that I use weighs about 14lb.

I wouldn't want to carry that around many fields.

Cheers

Martin

Well i got my set up for 350 squid exactly. its a cz 452 american, 250, Nikko scope 60, parker hale moderator 30, plus 100rnds ammo and a sling, the nice man behind the counter knocked a bit off for me to make it round numbers.

I think the american is popular because it dosnt have and iron sights sdo the scope just sits on top easily. If you can try some of teh others in the range to see which fits you best.

Here is what the web page says IAS....

Rimfire Rifles / Senior / CZ 452 - 2E ZKM SILHOUETTE Additional information

CZ 452 - 2E ZKM SILHOUETTE

The CZ 452 - 2E ZKM rimfire rifle line are firearms of a compact design with a robustly constructed Mauser-type action. The trigger mechanism has an adjustable trigger pull and a safety located at the rear part of the bolt. The receiver is factory milled for telescopic sight mounts. The CZ 452 - 2E ZKM rifles are supplied with a magazine holding 5 or 10 cartridges. The barrel can be fitted with a muzzle thread to accept the Still or Parker-Hale sound moderators.

Characteristic features of all versions

The CZ 452 ZKM is well balanced and consequently quick and easy to aim, the tangent rear sights adjustable in wide range of shooting distances, easy mounting of rifle scope, controlling elements which are simple in operation, and easy to reach, adjustable trigger pull, cocking indicator indicates cocking of the striking mechanism, easy disassembly for cleaning and routine maintenance, which can be carried out without any tools, a high degree of accuracy when firing, a long service life, high functional reliability in all environments, even with ammunitions made by various manufacturers, and with different types of bullets, threaded muzzle as option for Still or Parker Hale moderator attachment.

The Silhouette modification is made with a plastic stock and a .22 1/2" long barrel. The design of this rimfire rifle meets the requirements of the IMSSA shooting regulations including weight, which is not allowed to exceed 3.4 kg - 7 1/2 pounds.

Technical info

Caliber .22 LR

Detachable magazine capacity 5

Overall length 1035 mm

Barrel length 572 mm

Height 178 mm

Width 66 mm

Weight 2700 g

Stock plastic with cheeckpiece

Buttplate rubber

get_img.jpg

Edited by stuartp

i,

That is good advice from Frank & Stuartp, I have a very similar model (the CZ Style - same as the Silhouette but silver action).

I am really pleased with the rifle but not everyone likes CZ's or synthetic stocks - find a good gunshop and try to handle a few models from the range, there are a lot to choose from and they just increased the range too.

Happy Shopping

AndyCM

Edited by AndyCM

Here is what the web page says IAS....

Rimfire Rifles / Senior / CZ 452 - 2E ZKM SILHOUETTE Additional information

CZ 452 - 2E ZKM SILHOUETTE

The CZ 452 - 2E ZKM rimfire rifle line are firearms of a compact design with a robustly constructed Mauser-type action. The trigger mechanism has an adjustable trigger pull and a safety located at the rear part of the bolt. The receiver is factory milled for telescopic sight mounts. The CZ 452 - 2E ZKM rifles are supplied with a magazine holding 5 or 10 cartridges. The barrel can be fitted with a muzzle thread to accept the Still or Parker-Hale sound moderators.

Characteristic features of all versions

The CZ 452 ZKM is well balanced and consequently quick and easy to aim, the tangent rear sights adjustable in wide range of shooting distances, easy mounting of rifle scope, controlling elements which are simple in operation, and easy to reach, adjustable trigger pull, cocking indicator indicates cocking of the striking mechanism, easy disassembly for cleaning and routine maintenance, which can be carried out without any tools, a high degree of accuracy when firing, a long service life, high functional reliability in all environments, even with ammunitions made by various manufacturers, and with different types of bullets, threaded muzzle as option for Still or Parker Hale moderator attachment.

The Silhouette modification is made with a plastic stock and a .22 1/2" long barrel. The design of this rimfire rifle meets the requirements of the IMSSA shooting regulations including weight, which is not allowed to exceed 3.4 kg - 7 1/2 pounds.

Technical info

Caliber .22 LR

Detachable magazine capacity 5

Overall length 1035 mm

Barrel length 572 mm

Height 178 mm

Width 66 mm

Weight 2700 g

Stock plastic with cheeckpiece

Buttplate rubber

Cheers Stuart for that help. :oops:???

peck,

I was under the impression that what you gain in trajectory from a .17hmr you lose in terminal ballistics and wind allowance?

Not a calibre I have ever fired or know much about so please correct me if I am wrong.

IAS

17hmrdp2.png

think this should show a little of the balistics differences. The wind issue isn't much if compared on a level playing field with the .22LR ie if you shot them side by side at targets at the same range you would find the .17 just as good even in wind. But you are restricted range wise with the .22 to probably @80 yards on rabbits whereas with the .17 you can head shoot rabbits at 150 yards and that can be every shot. But they do make more noise and if you take the long shots in wind you do need to account for it.

For lamping bunnies from a vehicle the .17 is fantastic pretty much everything you can just point and shoot assuming a 100 yard zero its pretty much flat to 125 yards