recoil pad..

nppulse

I have fitted quite a few of these pads in my time, and believe me it isn’t that easy.

It’s pretty straight forward if you intend to ref-finish the stock, but if the pad needs to be fitted without marring the wood then a lot of time and skill needs to be employed.

£30 sounds about right for a couple of hours work for a gunsmith.

G.M.

i had a go at doing this without refinishing a stock, i now have a new found respect for the gunsmiths that do this. Its a very difficult job to do without damaging the finish.

my dad has his gun extended by 1.5inches with volcanite (spelling?) and it cost him £70. However this included instilation and about £40 worth of materials.

i just took an etch off the stock with some thin paper, then attatched it to the new recoil pad and ground it down on a sanding wheel. it looks perfect. isnt that the right way to do it? chris

There are a dozen ways to do it, the only trouble with the way that you have done it is making sure that the holes line up properly when you have finished grinding it. I find that you always have a slight overlap on the pad, either on one side or the other. Grinding it on the stock is always more accurate but more difficult as you do have to be careful.

You can wrap masking tape around the stock, but a sanding belt can make short work in cutting through it if you make a slip-up. This can then cut into the stock and cause a re-finish to be necessary.

As I say, most of my pads have been fitted as part of a re-finish of the shotgun/rifle, so I have the luxury of being able to grind right the way down to the wood and blend it in. Makes for a very professional looking job, which you simply can’t get by grinding it off the stock and then fitting afterwards..

You can buy a special jig from Bownells in America, but obviously that would negate any financial savings that you were trying to make.

£30 to have it done by a gunsmith is a small price to pay if you ****** your stock up trying to do it yourself. :(

G.M.

Its **** easy, you wrap the stock with paper masking tape and as you get nearer and nearer the level of the wood you use less layers of tape finally getting down to one layer and then take the pad back off to give it the final touch. Use talc on the pad to lubricate as you sand!

Need a new one on my shotgun fister. The last one I did I sanded for 1/2 hour and didn't make an impression on the disc marks on the pad - the gunsmith charges £140 including refinishing stock to checkering and supplying a Pachmeyer decelerator pad.

What would you charge to do it for me?

a Pachmeyer decelerator pad.

is this out of the tardis. :lol:

No Mark - They make a wide range of pads for all applications but this model is particularly good at reducing felt recoil. I prefer the Sims Limbsaver but getting them can be difficult and expensive as you have to buy direct from the US.

Generally I use what we all know as Uncle Mikes who I believe have now been taken over by Butler Creek.

a Pachmeyer decelerator pad.

is this out of the tardis. :lol:

No Mark - They make a wide range of pads for all applications but this model is particularly good at reducing felt recoil. I prefer the Sims Limbsaver but getting them can be difficult and expensive as you have to buy direct from the US.

Generally I use what we all know as Uncle Mikes who I believe have now been taken over by Butler Creek.

thanks for clearing that up m.