large shot

I used to find SG's patterned better through open chokes... cylinder or i/c..... if you can call it a pattern !

For BB's , whatever you find suits really.. i have 1/4 3/4 in my SBS and it seems to do the job when needed, but i seldom use large shot these days.

The only real answer is to pattern your gun to see what results you get for the distance you want to shoot .

Dave

whatever you plan to put through it use a pattern plate to establish what different chokes do with the same and different cartridges. Taking advice from others doesn't mean that'll work in your gun.

One of the best shots I've ever worked with (many years ago an English Sporting Champion) uses 1oz #6 loads for everything including geese and I yet to see him miss! Well maybe the once :rolleyes:

Guest cookoff013

whatever you plan to put through it use a pattern plate to establish what different chokes do with the same and different cartridges. Taking advice from others doesn't mean that'll work in your gun.

One of the best shots I've ever worked with (many years ago an English Sporting Champion) uses 1oz #6 loads for everything including geese and I yet to see him miss! Well maybe the once :rolleyes:

i know someone who uses a 6 for everything too, even for clays.

i wouldnt recomend it regularly though, lets hope he `s really accurate on them geese with the #6.

SGs can actually pattern wider in a full choke than they do from a cylinder barrel. This is because as the shot travells down the barrel and reaches the choke a degree of side thrust is put upon the pellets on the edge of the load by the taper of the choke forcing them back into the main body of pellets. But it only works if up to around 20% of the pellets get the side thrust and there is a good body of pellets to absorb them. This is what happens with say 6 shot.

When using SGs a much higher percentage, maybe 80%, of the much bigger pellets will come into contact with the taper on the choke and it may (not necessarily will, because there are lots of variables) cause the pattern to blow or give a classic cartwheel. pattern testing is required. Wildfowling guns generally have a much longer taper on the choke to compensate for this but typical screw in chokes may be a problem.

Thanks for advise, looks like bb's then and a few shots on the pattern plate to see whats best. Seems like i fell for the newbee idea of bigger shot being better for fox's but after having a look through the forum thats not the case.

Thanks again Darren.

Guest cookoff013

Thanks for advise, looks like bb's then and a few shots on the pattern plate to see whats best. Seems like i fell for the newbee idea of bigger shot being better for fox's but after having a look through the forum thats not the case.

Thanks again Darren.

if you had asked what cartridges for fox, you would have been given a list of adequate cartridges.

there are multiple threads covering this almost monthly.

42gram BB, imho is the best load ever.

It looks like Rottweil still do them... but wether anyone over here will stock them i don't know.

Lots of companies used to make them, but gamebore only go to SG and i cant find any info for Eley.... it was alot of years ago when i last used them , and they were the Rottweil 1oz load ... 7 or 9 pellets if i remember right..... the gun shop who sold them then reckoned they'd kill a fox at 80yds.... i'm sure they would, but the chances of hitting anything you aimed at that far away would be slim to say the least...

Dave

Guest cookoff013

you can actually tighten up patterns bu adding buffer, and correct choke.

buffer just stops the shot from compacting, damaging all the shot upon setback.

but use a recipe that has buffer as a component. adding buffer can really raise those pressures.

it changes the fluidity of the load.

It looks like Rottweil still do them... but wether anyone over here will stock them i don't know.

Lots of companies used to make them, but gamebore only go to SG and i cant find any info for Eley.... it was alot of years ago when i last used them , and they were the Rottweil 1oz load ... 7 or 9 pellets if i remember right..... the gun shop who sold them then reckoned they'd kill a fox at 80yds.... i'm sure they would, but the chances of hitting anything you aimed at that far away would be slim to say the least...

Dave

You could cast and load your own, probably LEE or RCBS will do molds for the shot, then just melt some old wheel weights down, and Bob´s your uncle :good:

You could cast and load your own, probably LEE or RCBS will do molds for the shot, then just melt some old wheel weights down, and Bob´s your uncle :good:

Lee do a mould but you can't cast with just a pot full of molten wheelweights. You need a bottom pour furnace and a good casting speed to keep the mould hot enough.

Lee do a mould but you can't cast with just a pot full of molten wheelweights. You need a bottom pour furnace and a good casting speed to keep the mould hot enough.

Lee do good ovens, I used to melt the weights in a large saucepan (OUTSIDE) to get rid of any iron clips or crud in the lead, and then cast ingots (Mold for these also from Lee), then when needed just put a couple of ingots into the Lee melting pot and away I went. used to cast .38/.357, 9mm, and .44/.45, although I later went to pressing SWC half jacketed for pistols.

But shot and slugs you can just as easily cast. :good:

Edited by Redditch

Lee do good ovens, I used to melt the weights in a large saucepan (OUTSIDE) to get rid of any iron clips or crud in the lead, and then cast ingots (Mold for these also from Lee), then when needed just put a couple of ingots into the Lee melting pot and away I went. used to cast .38/.357, 9mm, and .44/.45, although I later went to pressing SWC half jacketed for pistols.

But shot and slugs you can just as easily cast. :good:

The trouble is that the mould has to be hot enough to allow the lead to flow and with small shot you are just not introducing enough hot metal often enough to counteract the cooling. So its like constantly fighting a loosing battle. Casting something like slugs is easy once you get up to temperature because there is loads of hot lead going in each time. But with small shot the tiny amount of lead just doesn't keep the mould hot enough unless you are working very fast with very hot lead and even then its a real struggle. The Lee 6 gang shot mould requires the lead to flow round passageways and it just doesn't happen, the lead cools in the mould and doesn't get round to all the cavities. Its very fussy on alloys as well.

My mate in Wales sent me his mould down to see if I could get it to work and I found the same problems as he did.

Edited by Vince Green