Corncrake

Ballymac

Have n't been on for a while but thought this might be of interest to a few people here in norn iron. There is a corncrake in my locality we have had the relevant authorities out to manage the area. Part of the field has been cordoned of and the local farmers have been asked to keep distrubance to a minimum. Obviously these are a rare bird in these parts and was wondering if there are any other reports about.

The bird is calling for a mate, would have thought it a bit late in year, but it is thought that there are none around. Hope there is a mate for this bird around locally. The last corncrake i heard was over 30 yrs ago. I have taken my kids to hear the bird as they may never get the chance again.

Very interesting to hear, when I lived in Fermanagh I was told that they used to be fairly abundant some 40 years ago, but not anymore. I've looked them up and it's an impressive migration for a bird which on the face of it doesn't look like it should be a strong flier.

Very interesting to hear, when I lived in Fermanagh I was told that they used to be fairly abundant some 40 years ago, but not anymore. I've looked them up and it's an impressive migration for a bird which on the face of it doesn't look like it should be a strong flier.

The fields in Victorian times resounded with the sounds of Corncrakes and indeed they were quite widespread. Ive seen one once when on holiday in the Western Isles and heard several a couple in E Anglia and one on Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire border a couple of years back.

Anoher bird which has sufferred terribly as a result of changing agricultural techniques particularly the advent of sileage cutting over traditional haymaking techniques.

link for interesting info. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/corncrake/index.aspx

FM

There aint many around to feed the Raptors in EA Highlander so you are infact wrong again. :P

The major UK poulation is present on RSPB managed reserves. so stick that in your pipe.. :lol:

Not on RSPB Minsmere (isn't that one of the largest) they aren't...too many Harriers! In fact NE/RSPB attempts at helping Stone Curlews and Lapwings around the Minsmere reserve costing £millions over the last few years had been nothing short of pathetic! Mind you they have cottoned on to the fact that Red Deer in the rut can be a profitable sideline!

Not on RSPB Minsmere (isn't that one of the largest) they aren't...too many Harriers! In fact NE/RSPB attempts at helping Stone Curlews and Lapwings around the Minsmere reserve costing £millions over the last few years had been nothing short of pathetic! Mind you they have cottoned on to the fact that Red Deer in the rut can be a profitable sideline!

Results

"National stone-curlew population increased from 150-160 pairs in 1985 to nearly 400 pairs in 2010."

"In Eastern England the population has increased from fewer than 100 pairs in 1985 to 250 pairs in 2010."

Lapwings...In Suffolk and parts of Norfolk it is now largely confined to managed nature reserves where it enjoys good success and the trend in reduction of breeding pairs has been reveresed. Very few now nest on farmland and this is believed to be due to the change to autumn sowing of crops, which results in crops being too tall for the Lapwings to nest in come spring. Drainage of wetlands and a reduction in uncultivated grassland due to more intensive hill farming has also contributed to the overall decline.

Wrong again on both counts Im afraid...Highlander 2/10 must try a lot harder. :P

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Mike please stop spouting NE/RSPB propaganda. I was talking about Minsmere an RSPB flagship reserve is it not and not other parts of the UK or even EA.

The areas around that reserve they are spending so much money on in attempts to help rare wading birds such as Stone Curlews and Lapwings are for the most part pastureland and heathland habitats. However the skies are full of their ‘flagship’ Harriers and hence no Stone Curlews bred last year and Lapwings struggled to do so. The wardens say they have no idea why but every countryman you meet around the area knows full well why! The RSPB has deep pockets! Unfortunately NE is spending our money and if the general public knew just how much I believe there’d be rioting in the streets especially now with all the belt tightening going on.

If you want to know why I get so incensed by RSPB it’s because their vowed intent is to stop us shooting. That as far as I’m concerned is an ‘anti’ measure and seeks to interfere with my chosen way of life. Not something I seek to impose on twitchers or indeed any other members of society. For the same reason I won’t put a penny in the pockets of such bodies as The National Trust, or (anti) individuals like Sir Paul McCartney and the likes of Brian May and some chap calling himself 'Fisherman Mike'. :oops: Get on with your own lives and stop interfering in mine!

Mike please stop spouting NE/RSPB propaganda. I was talking about Minsmere an RSPB flagship reserve is it not and not other parts of the UK or even EA.

The areas around that reserve they are spending so much money on in attempts to help rare wading birds such as Stone Curlews and Lapwings are for the most part pastureland and heathland habitats. However the skies are full of their ‘flagship’ Harriers and hence no Stone Curlews bred last year and Lapwings struggled to do so. Not strictly true..in any event Minsmere is self financing and actually pumps some 1.5 - 2 million into the Local economy.The wardens say they have no idea why but every countryman you meet around the area knows full well why! The RSPB has deep pockets! You dont contribute so why whine. If 7.5 million people want to donate to the RSPB each year doesnt that say something. Unfortunately NE is spending our money and if the general public knew just how much I believe there’d be rioting in the streets especially now with all the belt tightening going on. Codswallop people will always find money for wildlife as they will petrol and diesel.If you want to know why I get so incensed by RSPB it’s because their vowed intent is to stop us shooting. That will never happen as long as the shooting fraternity continues to support managed moorland and conservation projects rather than indescriminate shooting and persecution of BOP. That as far as I’m concerned is an ‘anti’ measure and seeks to interfere with my chosen way of life. Not something I seek to impose on twitchers or indeed any other members of society. For the same reason I won’t put a penny in the pockets of such bodies as The National Trust, Different organisation with different agenda the only Birds they support are the old ones who collect the money or (anti) individuals like Sir Paul McCartney and the likes of Brian May and some chap calling himself 'Fisherman Mike'. :oops: Get on with your own lives and stop interfering in mine! Then stop posting inane drivel, Minsmere is an unmitigated success, you ought to leave the gun at home at the weekend and instead of the weekly bloodlust take the wife and kids. It will only cost you a tenner and you might enjoy it.

Mike you’re not reading things correctly are you ....Minsmere self financing, pumping £1.5 – 2m into the local economy??? How’s that then?

No I don’t pay to belong to RSPB, that’s my choice BUT I do pay taxes and yet have no say in the wasted millions NE spends on silly unworkable projects.

So THE NT haven’t stopped people hunting on (some of) their grounds and haven’t stopped shoot leaseholders (after they’ve paid their dues) from shooting Woodcock. Yes different organizations/people but all ‘anti’ shooting.

I’ve been to Minsmere (I also shoot all round the area) but it’s too much of a wildlife theme park for my liking.

Mike you’re not reading things correctly are you ....Minsmere self financing, pumping £1.5 – 2m into the local economy??? How’s that then? over 100,000 paying visitors a year thats how. Many using local facilities B&B hotels shops etc. I bet the Locals would really be up in arms if it closed tomorrowNo I don’t pay to belong to RSPB, that’s my choice BUT I do pay taxes and yet have no say in the wasted millions NE spends on silly unworkable projects. Thats your perogative indeedSo THE NT haven’t stopped people hunting on (some of) their grounds and haven’t stopped shoot leaseholders (after they’ve paid their dues) from shooting Woodcock. Yes different organizations/people but all ‘anti’ shooting. Not at all, many senior members of The NT shoot, several of my freinds at the RSPB shoot as do some at the BTO. I’ve been to Minsmere (I also shoot all round the area) but it’s too much of a wildlife theme park for my liking. 102 breeding species a couple of years ago is quite a theme though, more variety than longleat. :lol:

Edited by Fisherman Mike

And I thought people would talk about corncrakes and having heard or seen them, and maybe heard of other people in N.ireland or Ireland that have a regular visit from a corncrake, but Highlander and FM just want to talk about a different matter, ah well, I 'll come back in a few months time.

Have n't been on for a while but thought this might be of interest to a few people here in norn iron. There is a corncrake in my locality we have had the relevant authorities out to manage the area. Part of the field has been cordoned of and the local farmers have been asked to keep distrubance to a minimum. Obviously these are a rare bird in these parts and was wondering if there are any other reports about.

The bird is calling for a mate, would have thought it a bit late in year, but it is thought that there are none around. Hope there is a mate for this bird around locally. The last corncrake i heard was over 30 yrs ago. I have taken my kids to hear the bird as they may never get the chance again.

I've never heard one,but my Dad can remember hearing them years ago. I think there had been one found somewhere near Castlecaulfield a few years ago.The RSPB got involved to try and protect it,but I'm not sure if it paired up with mate.

Hopefully they will start to make a return.You would think that with the increase in the amount of land in the Countryside Management Scheme,that there would be a lot more suitable habitats for them to breed in.

Edited by the enigma

I've never heard one,but my Dad can remember hearing them years ago. I think there had been one found somewhere near Castlecaulfield a few years ago.The RSPB got involved to try and protect it,but I'm not sure if it paired up with mate.

Hopefully they will start to make a return.You would think that with the increase in the amount of land in the Countryside Management Scheme,that there would be a lot more suitable habitats for them to breed in.

Indeed... The problem is its a bird which has suffered probably more at the hands of the Agricultural revolution in the 1800,s than any other. It needs a particular type of grassland habitat in which to breed and rear its young.

And I thought people would talk about corncrakes and having heard or seen them, and maybe heard of other people in N.ireland or Ireland that have a regular visit from a corncrake, but Highlander and FM just want to talk about a different matter, ah well, I 'll come back in a few months time.

Apologies we have indeed hijacked this thread....Talk away all you want about Corncrakes from now on.. :yes: