Slow Motion Rabbits #3

Nice shooting, both pellet and camera :good:

Any chance of seeing how you mounted camera to scope ?

Some pics and explanation maybe ?

Only wish my rabbits were out in the daylight hours.

Thanks, glad you liked it. Keep an eye/subscribe to my channel because I'll probably do a video on it soon to explain it properly. It's not that high tech.

Nice filming and shooting-but one of those was,in my opinion,far too small to shoot.

If it's pest control to reduce the numbers, prevent damage to crops then how can it be to small ?

Would you have them left to feed on the crops/grass till they were of 'shootable size' and have done the damage?

I read something the other day in one of the mags' where a farmer showed great swaithes(sp) of fields eaten to ground level and he reckoned he'd lost as much as 20-25% in some fields, trying telling him you can't shoot the small rabbits till theyve eaten enough to get them to adult size.

Obviously everyone who attempts to control rabbit numbers has to do what's right for them.

Nice filming and shooting-but one of those was,in my opinion,far too small to shoot.

I think you hit the nail on the head - in your opinion. I respect this and completely understand why you wouldn't want to shoot kits - I have a hard time shooting the very small ones myself (which this one wasn't) and on some of my permissions will leave them, both for next year, and to fatten for the pot.

Not that I should have to explain - it is my choice if I shoot kits or not - but I was actually asked to control the rabbits here specifically to protect an area of vegetables that were getting eaten. Kits eat vegetables, so I shot it.

Then you have no clue what pest control is about.

The whole point is to protect the crop, not wait until the rabbit is full grown when the damage is done.

exactly - most people (as in 99%) who shoot with permission from landowners do so because they want the rabbit numbers reduced, there is no point in getting sentimental over the young rabbits. I personally dont have any qualms shooting rabbits, regardless of size, cuteness, fluffy tails etc - I get the permission on the basis i will reduce the rabbit population - and thats exactly what i do.

Crop protection?-as an excuse for shooting kits might be acceptable-but this is grass meadow and looks in good health to me.As for comments suggesting I have little knowledge or understanding of "crop protection" I might add that I,ve been doing it for over 35 years and have cleared more land of Rabbits than I care to remember.Anyway-must go now and shoot some fledglings out of their nests-they eat crops as well dont they? :no:

Crop protection?-as an excuse for shooting kits might be acceptable-but this is grass meadow and looks in good health to me.As for comments suggesting I have little knowledge or understanding of "crop protection" I might add that I,ve been doing it for over 35 years and have cleared more land of Rabbits than I care to remember.Anyway-must go now and shoot some fledglings out of their nests-they eat crops as well dont they? :no:

Now you're just being an idiot.

Why don't you start your own thread instead of trolling someone elses because they aren't working to your prescription. If you have anything of worth to write about obviously :rolleyes:

i dont see your problem? shooting kits is just like shooting branchers in a rookery, trying to reduce the numbers before they grow fully and then do the damage.

this is grass meadow and looks in good health to me.

How the hell can you see that. It could have been the borders of a wheat field or a horse paddock for all you know :rolleyes:

Even if it was grass meadow, if its cattle food the rabbits are eating............... :rolleyes:

Once again people assuming the worst :no:

As I understand it,

It's not unheard of for horse owners to suffer with the injury or loss of an animal as a result of it getting a foot caught in rabbit hole/burrow resulting in injury ?

Anyone who knows what it costs to feed a horse nowadays will surely tell you that they want to protect good grazing paddocks as well as they can.

If the grass looks to be in good health ?, Maybe thats because the OP keeps on top of the rabbit population and doesn't let them grow up eating the grass.

As I think I said earlier, everyone has to do what they feel is OK for them and their landowners requirements/circumstances.

Final comment on this thread.My initial post clearly stated "in my opinion" the Rabbit was too small to shoot-I made no derogatory remarks towards the OP in any shape or form that would cause offence and I am glad that non seems to have been taken.Chrispti-who,s assuming the worst?-watch the clip carefully and let me know what you think the land is being used for-I,m guessing either set-aside or hay meadow but your views are most welcome.Sitsinhedges-this has to be the funniest post I have read in ages-the irony of your post is nothing short of genius....I may never stop laughing again. :lol:

I think the use of the land is totally irrelavant when it comes to pest control.Rabbits are pest,shooting them is pest control.We undertake a lot of this sort of shooting and to be honest we would prefer to leave the kitten sized ones as our game dealer wont pay for them,but we're there to control them,so that's what we do.My ferrets will destroy a nest of rabbits just like my dog destroys a nest of rats.Pest control.That's how I see it.