Seal

new to the flock

As the seal meat that I have sent up from friends out East each year is canned this is the recipe that I most commonly use.

Method :

Yep, the canned seal meat when served in the traditional Newfoundland way does make a very pleasant meal. Key things to bear in mind for seal are: it is actually a very lean dry meat, LOADED with iron, requires some fat in the cooking like the lean venison or moose. When canned properly the process makes for flesh that has more edibility than when fresh cooked.

The upscale version of seal meat is:

Boiled potatoes, cabbage, turnip and carrot. The seal meat ( all of the contents in the can or jar ) is put in a pan, a pastry mix is laid over top, thinly sliced onion is laid around the pan, making sure it is exposed. Bake until pastry is crispy and light brown.

Remove from pan and make a flour gravy, makes LOTS, from the liquid from the can/jar. This gravy does VERY well with lots of coarsely cracked pepper. Seal responds awfully well to pepper. I don't think it is possible to use too much.

Serve with partridge berry sauce.

This meal is washed down with strong tea - the spoon must stand up in it.

ps. Canned seal meat is salted for taste in the canning process using pickling salt. It does not require the extensive salting for consumption that fresh seal demands. I use a combination of pickling and iodized salt in the grinder on the table. I find it gives me the balance of bite and sweet which is missing from either the pickling salt or iodized salt alone.

A

................................................................................

Ingredients :

Seal meat

Soya sauce

Flour

Stew veggies: potatoes and

Onions, carrots, celery, etc

2 tsp Soya sauce

2 tsp Corn starch

2 tsp Beef soup base

Method :

Canada's most northernly civilian settlement. [Alert Air Force Station and Eureka Weather Station are further north but are not really communities in the normal sense of the word.]

Cut up seal meat into small chunks. Marinade overnight in soya sauce.

Using a plastic shaking bag, flour the meat and then deep fry it.

Proceed as for basic beef stew. Flavour with more soya sauce, add beef soup base if the stock needs enriching and thicken with corn starch.

................................................................................

Seal Escallops Recipe

)

Ingredients:

# 2 lb. Seal Loin Cut into 2 oz. Portions

# 1 Marinade Recipe

# 6 Tsp. Olive Oil

# 1 Cup Partridge Berries

# 2 Tsp. Flour

Directions:

Put seal meat in marinade for up to 4 hours. Remove and sauté in hot olive oil. Remove to serving platter when browned and cooked through (approx. 4-6 minutes). Keep warm.

Mix flour with 1 cup of marinade and deglaze the frying pay. Add the partridgeberries and let sauce reduce in half.

Pour sauce over seal meat and serve with roast potatoes and steaming vegetables.

Henry;

#2 and #3 can be prepared with fresh meat. The meat when you see it expecially canned is very dark red. When you cook it it turns black in color. I have never had it taste fishy, I find it very rich and quite sweat. I imagine that its flavour changes with the spiecies of seal that you eat. I have only ever eaten harp and ring seal as where the relatives are they do not get harbour seals.

NTTF