Braid

Dunkield

OK so I admit to being a bit old school when it comes to fishing so I don't have much experience of braid.

I bought some a while back as was really impressed with it for spinning, so I just some more for a couple of other reels.

The stuff I have just bought is Spiderwire EZ Braid and it seems sort of waxy compared to the other stuff (can't remember what make that was) which is more like like cotton.

So the questions are, is the look and feel of this new stuff normal and is Spiderwire any good - and yes, I appreciate these questions would have better asked before buying, but I can be slightly impulsive :blush:

Should be OK. The finish is i think an anti salt water finish. It is also smooth to allow easy long distance casts.

Its quite popular with some beach casters round my way, but you have to watch your fingers when casting a Fixed; it has a reputation for a brilliant chese wire effect.

Edited by Beretta28g

I have braid on all my reels, spiderwire is ok as you say a bit waxy and stiff, so others are better just because of their feel, I use it because of the feel and cuts down the weight required, buggger if someone else on the boat uses nylon and there is a tangle though.

There seems to be new ones out all the time and I dont have a must have brand, just buy best value and diameter size for the breaking strain required

doc

I went down the Thames in the end as the stiffer rod would have stuck the ledger the full length of the park.

Both the 10 and the 20lb seem ok, the only thing I did notice was the line is dyed green and some of that comes out when it gets wet.

The waxiness will take a bit of getting used to, I had to be careful knotting it for instance, but is certainly casts well :blink:

Love the braid for Pike and from a boat but not from shore, casting 175 yards if i get a crack off its tooooo expensive!

Also if you are fishing on a boat next to someone with nylon and the lines touch you will cut through the nylon like butter :o :o

Make sure you get your knots good, special ones for this stuff as it can just pull through

Yes, I guess the Palomar knot is the best for terminal tackle? or is there a better one?

I used a Perfection Loop to stick a swivel on the end and that held up OK

not so good on names of knots, I use a double loop and pull end through the loops if that makes any sense, the difficult one for me is joining nylon to braid

I was given some good advice from someone years ago to use mono as a shock leader about 2 rod lengths. It saves ware on the eyes and consistant casting in particular whilst feeder fishing cuts through them prety quickly. Its also cheaper to replace the mono after a couple of days fishing.

Used for drifter float fishing on big loughs its unbeatable for pike, also quick responses on the feeder rods for bream :good:

not so good on names of knots, I use a double loop and pull end through the loops if that makes any sense, the difficult one for me is joining nylon to braid

This?

http://www.netknots.com/html/palomar_knot.html

Dougy, good tip but I will only use it for spinning, and have loaded one of my old Michell 300's with 20lb for mackeral/bream fishing next time we go.

• 1 month later...

See if the Norris offer is still on, that Spiderwire stuff seems to be OK and is resonable value once reduced.

Had a look but it only goes upto 30lb B/S on the webby and then p&p on top..and I tend to use 50 or even 60lb on the spod rod ... as the stuff from hong kong is half the price :oops: and its called PE DYNEEMA BRAID FISHING LINE

Edited by leeds chimp

Leeds, I use some cheap 60lbs braid from evilbay on my spod/spomb rod, been on my spools for 5+ years and still going strong (make sure you get the floating gear)

thats all i need it for but not sure if the PE DYNEEMA BRAID FISHING LINE is floating or not tho...the stuff I have at the moment is OK but not changed it for about 3/4 years as I hardly ever use the rod till recently on the broads