New gun for me.

After shooting various bores of o/u i am now cahnging to a s/s as whenever i see someone with one i think how graceful looking they are and i think they are very traditional and there is nothing i like to see more than an english s/s on a game shoot- hopefully i will be one of those people soon!

Does anyone else here shoot with a s/s? If so what and do you reccomend it and will i be sensible to use 28gr carts?

I would recommend anything which is in your price range and you shoot well with.

You need to decide what chokes you want and the barrel length. If you are tall, you may prefer a 30" barrels. If you are shorter, then maybe a 28".

If you are not doing lots of driven shooting which requires an ejector, there are some real bargains on English non-ejectors at the moment.

I was using Impax 7's (28.5g) for long enough, but now use 30g.

Guest flightline

I`m also thinking of getting an English s/s having been used to o/u`s. I`m thinking about a non-ejector. What are the ideal chokes for a gun that will be used almost exclusively for pigeons, especially from hides? Will recoil be a problem as they are generally lighter than the guns I`m used to? I shoot 30 or 32g carts size 6.

Now is a good time to buy Englis s/s non ejectors and you can pick up a really good one for a reasonable price as the trend is currently towards ejectors. The greater the decoration, the more valuable the gun will be.

The gun I use most over deeks is choked 1/4 and improved cyl. Personally I would avoid anything too tigthtly choked for decoying, but I have shot 3/4 and 1/4 choke over deeks before with great effect.

Recoil depends on how good a fit the gun is and the overall weight. Some English game guns are very light, resulting in more recoil, but many are much heavier. Its a toss-up between weight to carry about and recoil.

I usually use 30g but have started on 32g HB pigeon. The recoil is slightly greater but doesn't really bother me provided I wear a jacket.

You may need to have the stock altered slightly to achieve a good fit.

I used S/S for many years,AYA 25s,and then a posh Ugartechia.The best thing about S/S for me is that they tend to fit me well.

Fine piece of kit.

I would go for 1/2 choke in the first barrel and the same or more in the second.Plenty of second shots are actually closer than the first.You will soon get used to any recoil

I used S/S for many years,AYA 25s,and then a posh Ugartechia.The best thing about S/S for me is that they tend to fit me well.

Fine piece of kit.

I would go for 1/2 choke in the first barrel and the same or more in the second.Plenty of second shots are actually closer than the first.You will soon get used to any recoil :blink: