Firing pin

WoodyPopper

Yesterday I received a small windfall. This morning I found that the firing pin on my bottom barrel has broken. I've been lucky so far - I've never had one break before. How much is it likely to cost to repair?

I also discovered that my watch has broken. Ho hum, I guess that's my windfall spent.

:hmm: Depends on your Gunsmith/Gunshop.

I'm very lucky in that I've a really good smith who works from home and is very reasonable on costs. I had a lot of work done on my SBS including 2 new pins, springs, safety etc, which if you split the costs up must have worked out about £15-£20 per pin - but that's having them turned up special.

Only way to find out to make some calls, but it's not (or shouldn't be) as expensive as you might think.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for flattering me by thinking that I might be able to fit the new pin myself! I wouldn't know how to. I was working pretty much at the edge when I removed and cleaned the ejectors recently - and considered myself lucky at the end to still have a working gun.

Thanks all for flattering me by thinking that I might be able to fit the new pin myself! I wouldn't know how to. I was working pretty much at the edge when I removed and cleaned the ejectors recently - and considered myself lucky at the end to still have a working gun.

PoP to replace firing pin: Remove butt plate (2 screws) Using long reach 1/4drive socket (10mm I think), unscrew one stock bolt. Locate broken firing pin (top or bottom barrel), knock out retaining pin. Fit return spring to new pin. Refit. Simples!. Or if you're local to Leicester, drop in and I'll do it for you.

Ah: just seen - Hampshire, sorry.

Edited by 243ack

Make you a new one from scratch harden and temper with one hand tied behind my back in 15 mins fair price circa £15 to £20

Hi Sage,

I'm struggling to find a firing pin for my sentimental-value-only BSA Snipe, or a half decent donor at a sensible price; would a new one be possible for that kind of money too? Ok to PM you for details?

Thanks Ian, thats good to know and I may be in touch. Looks like I'll get the old girl shooting again one way or t'other. I've actually had local so-called gunsmith (grumpy old so* an' all...) tell me that he could do it but "couldn't be bothered" as there wasn't enough money in it for him. Nice. Great to have forum contacts :)