best way to change my air rifle from .22 to .177?

ilovemyheckler

having recently bought a .22 airarms s410 without giving much thought to the calibre as i thought that all i wanted to do was shoot a few rabbits to help with the training of my spaniel.

However, i recently went on a BASC airgun awareness day at a local air rifle club and enjoyed it so much I would like to join. I actually found it quite addictive but i feel that i really need a .177 if i am to take it with any degree seriousness.

So what should i do?

I see my options as;

1. Try and swap my .22 for a similar .177

2. Trade my rifle in at my local shop (they have just serviced, tuned and replaced seal on it) against a new .177

3. Sell my rifle on the forum and buy either a second hand or new .177

I need to choose the most cost effective option so what do you suggest

having recently bought a .22 airarms s410 without giving much thought to the calibre as i thought that all i wanted to do was shoot a few rabbits to help with the training of my spaniel.

However, i recently went on a BASC airgun awareness day at a local air rifle club and enjoyed it so much I would like to join. I actually found it quite addictive but i feel that i really need a .177 if i am to take it with any degree seriousness.

So what should i do?

I see my options as;

1. Try and swap my .22 for a similar .177

2. Trade my rifle in at my local shop (they have just serviced, tuned and replaced seal on it) against a new .177

3. Sell my rifle on the forum and buy either a second hand or new .177

I need to choose the most cost effective option so what do you suggest

Keep your 22 and enjoy using it is another option.

You can still target shoot with the 22 and some clubs have a 22 class in HFT if that's what you're after. And you may want to try it a bit to see if your new found enthusiasm lasts.

In any case, club HFT/FT type targets are good for practise before hunting live quarry especially teaching range estimation and hold over.

177/22 are equally good for hunting with some pros and cons for each.

You're likely to lose by selling - typically second hand good condition rifles go on forums for 2/3 of the new price. If you get 75%, you're doing well.

HTHs

I'd maybe see if you can get a like fo like swap.

.22 is fine for hunting, and in my experience so is .177, both have their pros and cons. However, when you get into FT/HFT then the .177 seems to be the calibre of choice. I don't know of anyone shooting HFT seriously with .22, the flatter projectory and lessened effected from winds seem to make it more popular.

Based on that, if you can get a .177 then IN MY OPINION it's the better dual purpose tool. I use my Air Arms S400 for both with good enough results.

After shooting .22 for my first 2 years of ft and aiming at the bottom of the scope at 50 yrds I bought a .177 and have never looked back and finally was able to compete and win.

People who say use a .22 at a club have never done so or not for long as at 55 yrds in .177 your aiming 2 1/2 " but 22 its 5 " almost so loads of room for error.

Look for a guy called rob lane on net as he is the best engineer/ gunsmith in the world possibly and the designer of most brococks and invented the air cartridge. He will swap the barrel/ calibore for you

The power used to propel the two calibres is different, unfortunately not as simple as just a barrel swap, it would be an expensive job to have it done. I'd get a second hand air arms single shot .177 so that you can use your current charging gear.

Just for the record I received an email from Air Arms and it is not cost effective to do, as you would need new bolt housing, barrel, loading bolt assembly, magazine etc. The rifle would also have to be re-tuned.

Looks like I will stick with the .22 until/if I take up target shooting seriously.

Thanks all for the replies and advice.

Have you tried rob lane like I said as airarms are bound to say that but rob will make anything he needs part wise and is a truely amazing engineer . He cuts the barrel off a fresh length .

Amazing man .

This guy makes regulaters from a block of metal for any gun or builds trigger assemblies for ripleys that are actually reliable from fresh. Last time I was there he was changing calibre on a bsa goldstar so it must be worth it

in fairness air arms said that there are people who could do but looking at what i have spent on this one (£400 for the gun, service, new seals, tune up etc) I suspect i would be better just buying a .177

That said i would be interested in knowing what rob lane has to say, do you know how i contact him?

I agree with AA. They are a reputable company. They are right in that so much needs to be changed. Yes it can be done but it is not economic. 22's are slightly less popular than 177's and subsequently its reflected in the resale value. Typically you will have to pay between £30 - £50 more for a .177 than you will get for yours assuming they are exactly the same condition. Enjoy your 22 and when you fancy a change pay a few quid more and get a .177. Both excellent rifles, and each calibre has its advantages, but don't bother with a conversion. :good: