.17 hmr

chezza1986

Can anyone please explain the difference between Hornady blue tips and the red tips is?? Just started shooting my dad's .17hmr with him and we got some different makes of ammo to test them out and can across some blue tips in a shop, bought and tried them and they work well in the gun but keep seeing adverts for red tips and just wondered what the difference was. Also dose anyone know where Winchester .17 ammo is sold in Cambridge/ Norfolk area?? Also again what ammo are you guys using and finding good? Cheers.

As said above, the only difference is colour. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that all HMR ammo was made in the same factory and just packaged for the different "manufacturer".

For a Norfolk outlet, you could try Phillip Webster, I couldn't say for definite that he keeps Winchester HMR ammo as I only buy Hornady there but he generally keeps a good range.

The blue tips are 17 HMR rounds loaded with bullets intended for eley .17 Mach 2.

A cancelled order of 10 million bullets was returned to Hornady who then loaded them into 17HMR cases and put them on sale.

The yanks then asked why the blue tips and hornady told them the above to which the american buying public took it upon them self to declare the blue tip ammo to be in some way inferior to the "proper" red tip and refused to buy it.

Hornady in there wisdom then thought we will unload the whole lot on the brits they are up for a bargain, hence thats how we got them.

Ian.

As said above, the only difference is colour. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that all HMR ammo was made in the same factory and just packaged for the different "manufacturer".

For a Norfolk outlet, you could try Phillip Webster, I couldn't say for definite that he keeps Winchester HMR ammo as I only buy Hornady there but he generally keeps a good range.

:stupid::stupid:

• 1 year later...

The blue tips are 17 HMR rounds loaded with bullets intended for eley .17 Mach 2.

A cancelled order of 10 million bullets was returned to Hornady who then loaded them into 17HMR cases and put them on sale.

The yanks then asked why the blue tips and hornady told them the above to which the american buying public took it upon them self to declare the blue tip ammo to be in some way inferior to the "proper" red tip and refused to buy it.

Hornady in there wisdom then thought we will unload the whole lot on the brits they are up for a bargain, hence thats how we got them.

Ian.

Yet another variation on the story............ :good:

The nature of the .17 V-Max HMR is that they are all the same.

CCI does indeed produce this ammo for several brands, but they are NOT the sole producer.

The difference between the colour tips themselves is NIL, and there are others, silver, black, green etc.

The difference in performance between all of then is also as close to NIL as you can get, what will happed from time to time is the odd batch variation (as with ANY ammo) and sometimes people attribute this to the colour tip, it shouldn't be anything to do with it.

:good:

As Dekers says CCI load for a few of the HMR 'suppliers'

As for the tips no difference at all just the pigment used to colour the plastic.

I rang Hornaday to confirm this when 'accuracy issues' were mentioned between the red and blue tipped stuff.

One thing I wonder about tho is why do some shops have different prices for red or blue?

Edited by masmiffy