50ft head shot

thompson

got my longest head shot on a pidgon to day mesured at rufly 50ft well it was 50 walking pases couldent beleve it more luk than any thing a think but a was amin for the head been practising at long range for a while and its payed off :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest, I don't do pigeon head shots because they are a problem, I hit them elseware with something with more grunt that will do the job.

50ft is about 16m and in my book is a good shot :good::good:

There are plenty on here that will tell you they only ever head shoot pigeon at distances often much further, there is the real world and there is ********! :yes::good:

How the hell do you 'only do headshots' on a pigeon?? As Deckers says, Something with a bit oomph and a body shot. I tried headshots but any less than about 20m and its pure luck whether I hit the head or not, what with it moving around constantly....

ye a dont normaly go for head shots a ment to say a got a long rang head shot not my longist head shot :blush: just tried it and got lucky a normaly shoot them in the chest and normaly mutch closer becaus the chanses of hitin a head shot at range is like u said luky av got a full powerd air rifle just on the limit and dus the job :good:

Edited by thompson

havent a clue whot u mean av got me scope zeroed in at 50 yards so a no that it hits stright and ther was a light wind to the right so i used the mill dots for that a just took the shot and hoped for the best :shoot:

Edited by thompson

got my longest head shot on a pidgon to day mesured at rufly 50ft well it was 50 walking pases couldent beleve it more luk than any thing a think but a was amin for the head been practising at long range for a while and its payed off :D

Are you a Geisha Girl or just extremely small?

:lol: well lill steps have to exsagurate a lill (like the big fish thats smaller than whot we say) :D but it was around 50ft me bros goin to get a 100m tape mesher at the weekend to mesher his garden to get a beter idea of how far wher shootin :good::good::good::good::good: Edited by thompson

havent a clue whot u mean av got me scope zeroed in at 50 yards so a no that it hits stright and ther was a light wind to the right so i used the mill dots for that a just took the shot and hoped for the best :shoot:

I am not sure that hoping for the best is recognised as good practice.

I am not sure that hoping for the best is recognised as good practice.

a practice at lest 1s a day for half an hour to an hour from about 50ft dictance at a 2inch squared target and hit it just about every. the birds heads ar small so a would say av got a 1 in 3 chance to hit it so part of it is luck and like they say practis makes perfect as team tractor said if confadent and acurate it can be done quite easly

Edited by thompson

a practice at lest 1s a day for half an hour to an hour from about 50ft dictance at a 2inch squared target and hit it just about every. the birds heads ar small so a would say av got a 1 in 3 chance to hit it so part of it is luck and like they say practis makes perfect as team tractor said if confadent and acurate it can be done quite easly

Thing is 50ft is 16 m and 55 yrds or metres is a long way compared to that. Before I would shoot at a pigeon head I know I can place all my shots on a pound coin at the required distance plus its took me almost 20 years of practice

I often shoot pigeons in the head and its what's known as being confident and accurate . Many years of competition shooting made me an excellent shot so its perfectly possible

Do FT targets move erratially? Yes, it is possible, but much more feasible to take a body shot. That's my view anyway.

A body shot which they regulary fly away from

I wish I had a quid for every time I'd heard that old rubbish. I've shot hundreds and hundreds over the years using body shots. Pigeons like any other animal will instantly die if you put a bloomin' great hole on its heart / lungs, never mind the trauma of the pellet hitting the vital organs.

I don't see shotgunners aiming for head shots.

Thing is 50ft is 16 m and 55 yrds or metres is a long way compared to that. Before I would shoot at a pigeon head I know I can place all my shots on a pound coin at the required distance plus its took me almost 20 years of practice

50ft isnt that far and a can hit a 50p coin no problim from that distance al put a video on over the weekend to prove it to you and yards and meters ar longer than ft thers 165ft in 50yards and a dout any one can shoot that range with a .22 acuratly and as sead if u hit a body shot from a distance ther more likly to fly away at least if u go for a head shot if u miss u miss and if u hit its goin down :good::good::D:good::good:

50ft isnt that far and a can hit a 50p coin no problim from that distance al put a video on over the weekend to prove it to you and yards and meters ar longer than ft thers 165ft in 50yards and a dout any one can shoot that range with a .22 acuratly and as sead if u hit a body shot from a distance ther more likly to fly away at least if u go for a head shot if u miss u miss and if u hit its goin down :good::good::D:good::good:

I can consistently hit a 2" target at 45 metres (not tried at 50), oh, but I should point out that it needs to be a virtually windless day...with the gun in its sweet spot...oh yes, and the target is completely stationary...in fact it's an HFT 2" knock down disc in bright yellow!

The time it takes the pellet to cover 50 metres is long enough for a pigeon to have ducked fer chrissakes...madness! As for a body shot at that range, I doubt there'd be enough energy left to punch through a full crop. :look:

I do look for headshots at 20 metres or less, and will go for a body shot up to a max of 40 metres, but often decline the shot on the far verges, I think 30m is about the sensible maximum.

ft shooting is 5-55 yrds and on a still day its possible to place pellet on pellet

I wish I had a quid for every time I'd heard that old rubbish. I've shot hundreds and hundreds over the years using body shots. Pigeons like any other animal will instantly die if you put a bloomin' great hole on its heart / lungs, never mind the trauma of the pellet hitting the vital organs.

I don't see shotgunners aiming for head shots.

I am a shot gunner and I've switch to tight chokes as I've peppered to many pigeons and they have flew off . Seriously I've shot thousands and body shots are not clean unless in the back

150 feet in 50 yards, not 165. I'm biting my lip and trying hard not to be a spelling Nazi, but at the very least mate please learn the difference between "I" and "a". This is because otherwise its very hard to understand what you've written and I'm interested in what you have to say :yes: