Trouble bagging pigeons

COLINSRI

Sure seems a wind up to me - the fruitcake isn't even claiming to have a valid reason for shooting them.

I call myself Colinsri because my first name is Colin and I drive a Cavalier SRI 16valve. It is my username on all the car forums that i use. I know its not very relevant as a name on here but hey.........Dave G don't mean much to me either.

If you read the thread you will see that i have given my reasons for shooting them.

The rifle i use has had a full test in an airgun magazine last month and was chrono'd at 10.5 lbs over 200 shots and rated a good entry level hunter.

I agree that perhaps the range i am shooting from is too far and it is possible that i am underestimating the distance. This maybe where i am going wrong.

Edited by COLINSRI

I call myself Colinsri because my first name is Colin and I drive a Cavalier SRI 16valve. It is my username on all the car forums that i use. I know its not very relevant as a name on here but hey........

The rifle i use has had a full test in an airgun magazine last month and was chrono'd at 10.5 lbs over 200 shots and rated a good entry level hunter.

I agree that perhaps the range i am shooting from is too far and it is possible that i am underestimating the distance. This maybe where i am going wrong.

Colinsri

Dose your SRI give you enough BHP to kill Granny's cleanly ? :(

I know !, keep running them down untill you get it right.

But maybe that will give other Drivers a bad name. :<

GET THE POINT

THE PELT MAN

I call myself Colinsri because my first name is Colin and I drive a Cavalier SRI 16valve. It is my username on all the car forums that i use. I know its not very relevant as a name on here but hey........ 

Colinsri

Dose your SRI give you enough BHP to kill Granny's cleanly ? :(

I know !, keep running them down untill you get it right.

But maybe that will give other Drivers a bad name. :<

GET THE POINT

THE PELT MAN

I am a reasonable shot with an air rifle...i'm no marksman but I am pretty good.

I am looking for advice so that i can shoot them without leaving maimed birds flying around or dropping dead elsewhere. Don't take this as ignorance but i am not after a guilt trip or of the cuff useless moral advice.

I bought the rifle to shoot pigeons who terrorise my neighbourhood, and shooting pigeons is what it will be used for. I want to know how to dispatch them as responsibly as i can.

BTW, my sri had just under 200bhp from a normally aspirated 2.0 engine. More than enough to play 'kill the granny'........*****.

So far i have missed circa ten shots on squirel.

I am going out for another go.

The point is your not a good shot.

You say that you continue to shoot at live quarry knowing that you are doing something wrong without finding out the problem first, then shooting at live quarry.

I dont give a dam about what moral points you do or dont want made to you, but i do give a dam about how others see the way we conduct ourselfs when shooting.

Now all that is left to work out is:

Do you slove the problem by putting targets into said trees & shooting them till you get it right, then shoot at Pigeons.

Buy a cover for the SRI to stop the Pigeon **** & sell the Airrifle.

Or carry on with the jolly-up.

THE PELT MAN

So far i have missed circa ten shots on squirel.

I am going out for another go.

The point is your not a good shot.

You say that you continue to shoot at live quarry knowing that you are doing something wrong without finding out the problem first, then shooting at live quarry.

I dont give a dam about what moral points you do or dont want made to you, but i do give a dam about how others see the way we conduct ourselfs when shooting.

Now all that is left to work out is:

Do you slove the problem by putting targets into said trees & shooting them till you get it right, then shoot at Pigeons.

Buy a cover for the SRI to stop the Pigeon **** & sell the Airrifle.

Or carry on with the jolly-up.

THE PELT MAN

I was shooting at squirels from around 50 yards and thats why i missed them. They don't hang about long enough to get a clean shot at that range.

I have already spent a very long time shooting at targets. I am not missing the pigeons, the problem is that they are not dropping. My accuracy is not the problem as i am defo shooting them. I think the problem is that 10lb is not enough power to kill them at 35+ yards.

I think i'll have to move the trees closer to the house...****.

Righty ho! Disregarding if this is a wind up or that people are winding Colin up,we have covered the main aspects here.

1 - regard for quarry

2 - accuracy and power of the firearm/person behind it

3 - shooting at an angle to the horizon

4 - we all make mistakes and I`m sure that Col will take it all into consideration before he aims at something in the future.

:(

*Opens mouth and jumps in with both feet*

OK Col you are about to be flamed and as moderator I will allow a mild grilling but no flame throwers :o

Edited by henry d

Whoa there boys!

Let's keep this clean and good natured shall we?

Colin,

The reason why you are getting a bit of a flaming is because we are a litte suspicious of new people coming here and asking (what we see to be) dubious questions. The reason is anti shooting people do this to wind us up and sometimes we can retaliate, say somthing daft and it is used against shooting as a whole. WE ARE NOT PARANOID BECAUSE THEY REALLY ARE OUT TO GET US!

What you have done is come into this forum asked a question and despite the advice given you have chosen to act differently. It might have been more prudent to agree to disagree, filter out what information could be of use to you and tried it differently. Keep asking questions because that way you and anybody else could pick up a new tip, none of us know it all!

There is somthing clearly amiss because the pigeons are not falling out the tree. It is up to you to find out what it is and fix it. We are not there with you so it is hard to be 100% specific what it is that is wrong and give you exact advice so please work with us on this one!

I don't really give a flying **** what you drive but I hope you drive safely and don't run grannies over :( and to be honest those jokes really don't have a place here, that's for everybody involved and not just you.

Anyway time for me to shut up and hope this is the end of it. Stick around though and who knows, you might enjoy it!

I was shooting at squirels from around 50 yards and thats why i missed them. They don't hang about long enough to get a clean shot at that range.

You were practicing on 35yd targets then shooting 50yd squirells. I would guess that in that extra 15 yds your pellet would have dropped 4-6 inches.

That means you would have to have been aiming 4-6 inches above the squirrel.

If they don't hang about then don't take the shot.

Thanks for all advice. None of it has been ignored.

I realise that people may come on here to wind you up or push their anti views upon you. However, my enquiry was serious one.

My intention has been to despatch flying vermin, not to injure them. I will work on it.

All advice has been appreciated especially the pm's received.

Col

You were practicing on 35yd targets then shooting 50yd squirells. I would guess that in that extra 15 yds your pellet would have dropped 4-6 inches.

That means you would have to have been aiming 4-6 inches above the squirrel.

If they don't hang about then don't take the shot.

I have practiced from all kinds of ranges and my pellets don't seem to drop off that much at all, certainly not 6 inches in 15 yards.

Colin

The further downrage you are the more energy your projectile will lose and infact it IS quite plausable for a 6" drop over 15 yards if the energy has dissapated enough to allow the anomaly.

You can get a Program called Chairgun from the Internet which will show you your trajectory if you input your FPS and pellet weight and BC of the pellets you are using.

It will show you how quickly your pellets drop off at what ranges etc and may indeed help you understand JUST how quickly your FPE drops at mid to latter ranges.

It should give you an idea of you MAXIMUM effective range for humane purposes which i would place about 30 yards on a 10FPE gun

Reguards

LG

COLINSRI - there are many bird species that foul our vehicles - but that does not give us the right to shoot them.

Pest control is a valid reason for a farmer to prevent them from eating his crop, or spoiling that crop or feed in grain stores and barns for example.

In my opinion 50 yards is too great a range to even consider taking a squirrel or pigeon with a 10 ftlb rifle.

The fact that you now indicate an intention to practice, on innanimate objects hopefully, has been noted.

COLINSRI - there are many bird species that foul our vehicles - but that does not give us the right to shoot them.

The fact that you now indicate an intention to practice, on innanimate objects hopefully, has been noted.

But I do not shoot any bird species that foul my car....just pigeons which I can legally shoot for whatever reason I like. Even if its just for fun, which it is.

You don't have to agree with my reasons for shooting but I am sure there are many that would not agree with your reasons for shooting.

However, I do agree that I am shooting from too far a range. With that in mind and the advice I have received from here I will make sure that I close the gap to 20 yards or closer.

I do a lot of target practice but please bare in mind that I bought the gun to shoot pigeons. Thats what i will be doing but I do want to shoot responsibly.

Edited by COLINSRI

But I do not shoot any bird species that foul my car....just pigeons which I can legally shoot for whatever reason I like. Even if its just for fun, which it is.

Hi,

You say you can shoot pigeons for whatever reason you like even if it is just for fun. WRONG!!! :<

Please show me a law or license which shows you can shoot pigeons for whatever reason you like even if it is just for fun in England.

Thanks. ;)

FM ;)

Unfortunatley you need a VALID reason for shooting Pigeons

They MUST be either causing a Health risk (shattin on crops or in a grain store etc)

Or causing damage to crops by eating seedlings or new shoots etc.

To shoot "just for fun" is not only Illegal but damnright disrespectful to your quarry.

LG

Easy......

....You lot are very tetchy, I have really tried not to offend but every post is followed by some 'High Horse' comment.

My point is that shooting pigeons is good fun....hunting in general is fun IMO, whether it be shooting or fishing etc etc.

I would be surprised if you all didn't enjoy shooting pigeons.......this whole website is about shooting pigeons....I am surprised at some of the reactions i am getting.

You are all air rifle fans who love to shoot animals (quary)...give me some slack here. Most of you shoot in your back gardens in towns nowhere near crops.....

Most of you don't even have your own farm and go begging for the use of others land so that you can shoot birds dead.......If its not fun, why bother?

I don't swallow all this 'disrespectful to the quary' thats nonsense....You have got a loaded gun pointing at its head......

How about you all come down off those high horses.....Give a newby a break.

Feel free to disagree for the sake of it......FPMSL.

Edited by COLINSRI