Face Vail

Curly87

going out decoying on a newly drilled field tomoro, which will be my first time without someone who knows wat they are doing as it were. Saw about 50 pigeons lift off field today plus loads flying around so hopefully it shud be a go day.

my question is does anyone wear sumthing to cover their face with when out decoying?

in the past when i have done it a couple of times before i had worn like a vail type thing but now cant find the dam thing any were, will this make much difference?:(

I agree with Mel, I never shoot with out completely covering up, even if covering your face and hands gives you a small advantage it's worth doing.

I've even black taped the extended choke on my Beretta due to crows shying away when they saw the silver flash as I raised it above the hide I was in.

Pat

i cant see why you really need to cover up anything when you already are in the hide...Whats the point of a hide if you need to use a damn guilly-suit just to shoot some woodys...

I mean that is like asking a friend if its harder to see you when he stands outside in the garden and you are inside the house and hideing under the bed.

Edited by Kikkan

I have recently acquired a full-face Advantage Timber pattern veil, as it matches my Musto gear. However, I have found that unless I also wear a hat with this, pigeons see me and shy away; which now begs the question - should I have stuck with the old cap which has done me proud for twenty plus years (but does get a bit warm in the summer months)

cheers for all the replies there, just come back from my decoying trip and bagged 8 pigeons, 4 crows and a rabbit, so the day could of been a lot worse!! :o

didnt wear a face veil as i couldnt find it, i found that some pigeons were shying away, but not sure if that was down to my patten or no face mask.

rite now im off to take all of the breast meat off the pigeons, which i will be having for tea :(

Personally, I feel that movement from a shooter is hugely more important than the camouflage he wears. Granted, it will make a minor difference if you use full body camouflage but if you are completely still until the moment you shoot; camo is less important.

if your in the shade or under a tree I usually find it isn't that necessary, but when in the sun I always wear a rimmed hat and usually a mask. Its inevitable that the odd pigeon will come from an angle that means it can see partially into the hide so even if your not peaking over the top you could still get made by the pigeons.