Decided to go ahead with FAC

il cacciatore

Ok, I think this topic could have been done to death but I done a search and a look through old threads but to no avail.

Basically I've decided to go ahead with a FAC application. I'll be applying for a .22lr, moderator, a foxing caliber and moderator.

I want the .22lr because they dont damage the meat of vermin. But as to foxing caliber I'm lost, I was thinking .223 because they are legal for small deer in Scotland (where I live) incase in the future I wanted to do that I wouldnt have to apply for another caliber but just a variation.

Also for a technical detail on the FAC application, do you need to put the type of action? It gives an example .22 rifle but wouldnt you need to put down .22 bolt action rifle?

I need to decide on what I'm wanting before I can go and ask the farmers.

Thanks.

.243 would be legal for foxes and all deer (with a heavier grained bullet) which makes it a very good all rounder I suppose. Thing is they might not want to give me a .243 because this will be my first firearms application thats why I thought about the .223.

Miffy, why should I go for the .22 and .17 hmr? ;)

Edited by il cacciatore

Between the .223 and .243 if they are going to refuse one they will most likely refuse the other. That said just because it is your first application does not mean they will. It all depends on age/land/other experience etc.

There is never a hard and fast rule. ;)

The .243 is very flexible and almost all rifles will take 70-100grn. bullets and dependant on twist down to 55grn. Flatter and faster than the .223 ;) (just more expensive to fuel - marginally)

Edited by marlin.45

.17hmr is a good all-rounder, a bit noisy for close in rabbits (-75m) but at 100m+ it comes in to it's own on rabbits and corvids, the damage it does to corvids does not matter (well, to them it does ;) ), but rabbits require head shots because the exit holes and meat damage are impressive. It will drop foxes easily with good bullet placement, but not at the ranges of a .223 or .243. Remember to add moderators and expanding ammo where needed, which as you are field shooting means everywhere. I've got .22lr, .17hmr, & .223 on my ticket and they all have their uses, and give me good options when I decide which type of shooting I wish to do. Weather condition play a part as well, if it is windy I leave the .17 at home and sneak closer with the .22.

If you can get .243 for fox and deer it would be a better option than .223 as you will be able to shoot all deer species as apose to the smaller ones. Also ensure you put on your application Vermin, fox, and deer control with the correct calibres, because the Firearms Team should specify calibres and the quarry you can kill with them.

Pat

if your after a foxing round go for .222 or .223 end of story

if your after a stalking/foxing gun but not for reds, go for .243 (most easily avalible)

if your after a foxing/stalking rifle able to take on Reds, go for the 6.5

HMR isnt a real foxing gun, neither is .22lr, 22 hornet is something you buy becuase you like it, the .222 or .223 will add 100 yards to your workable foxing range for less money in the ammo department.

.243 would be legal for foxes and all deer (with a heavier grained bullet) which makes it a very good all rounder I suppose. Thing is they might not want to give me a .243 because this will be my first firearms application thats why I thought about the .223.

Miffy, why should I go for the .22 and .17 hmr? ;)

I've had a .22 for years but recently bought a .17 and i dont think that the .22 will see daylight ever again not had too much trouble with meat damage either.

Only problems with the .17 is wind so apply for both and see what your FLO says, it shouldn't be a problem if you have suitable land to shoot on.

As for .223 or .243 etc i would say that if you are going to be shooting deer then go for the .243 as it is suitable for deer and fox and if you do shoot deer over the border it will still be legal.

The 6.5x55 is a cracking round by the way so try getting that for deer and fox ;);)

Its all down to the land you shoot and what your FLO is prepared to let you have.

Thanks for the flood of responses.

I'm still thinking .22lr. The way I see it I wont have the need to be shooting vermin above 75m with a .17hmr, I just dont see the point, doesnt it kind of take the field craft out of the equation? Its noisy too.

.243 would be alright if I had to have one to shoot small deer by law but I dont. Cant ever see me going to England shooting deer. I dont think I would ever come across a Red or fallow in everyday life unless I was going to take up stalking properly by getting myself syndicate land, if I were getting syndicate land then I would be taking the DSC1 and I'd probably want something bigger than the .243 if I were doing it seriously.

If I were applying for a .223 could I put down fox and roe deer as I would need to take the DSC 1 just for wanting to shoot a deer wouldnt I? edit- suppose this depends on the licencing branch.

Thanks.;)

Edited by il cacciatore

there is no legal obligation to have the dsc1 to go stalking, the police just think they can make laws which mean you have to have it. They cant, if they claim to have done so get the basc legal team to have words.

regarding the hmr being noisy, got your tin hat ready? ;) (i agree with you btw, the .22lr is unreplaceable as a subsonic silenced medum range bunny and crow basher)

Dont forget to get a SGC at the same time.. for an extra tenner its worth it.

As to which rifles.. I would say .17hmr.. Ive not used it but it sounds better than the .22 cos you can take foxes easily if you encounter them while out bunny bashing. That way you wont need to carry 2 guns.. As for the deer / foxes as your in scotland I would say .223. Have you considered the 22-250?

Just a thought.. If you apply for the 17hmr would the FLO consider not granting a larger calibre for foxes??

there is no legal obligation to have the dsc1 to go stalking, the police just think they can make laws which mean you have to have it. They cant, if they claim to have done so get the basc legal team to have words.

Isnt that like an oxymoron? ;)

22-250?

No, havent even heard of it. :*)

Dont forget to get a SGC at the same time.. for an extra tenner its worth it.

I already hold a sgc so what happens there?

Just a thought.. If you apply for the 17hmr would the FLO consider not granting a larger calibre for foxes??

If they didnt grant a larger caliber for foxes then they probably woulnt grant a .223 for roe when you could get a .243? I dont really know to be honest.

Edited by il cacciatore

.22/250 is a good calibre

alot on here use .223

nothing wrong with either .223 or .22/250 but the .22.250 is more powerful and flater shooting ;)

i use a .22/250 and have had a .223 for many years, i would happily shoot either but some prefer the .223 or .22/250. Its personnal preference really as to what you apply for, just make sure that you apply for a sound moderator for it.

;)

I have read many times that reloading rifle bullets really is a good idea as far as accuracy and for your pocket. If I were wanting to reload would this require any specific mention on the application on the FAC form?

I do realise that I would have to read all about reloading before I were to do it but I think it would be a good idea.

-edit

Infact I'm just going to phone up my shooting organisation and ask them all these questions cause after all Im paying them for something. Cheers you guys have been really helpful. ;)

Edited by il cacciatore

It all depends on what you want to shoot. If you are shooting at targets and only require target bullets for re-loading, then you can simply buy them over the internet and have them delivered by post.

On the other hand if you are shooting vermin and need expanding ammo, then you need to get “Expanding ammunition” on your ticket, which will then allow you to buy expanding bullets.

Your best bet is to try and find someone who already reloads, and then see if they will go through it a couple of times with you.

Whatever you want to do you can always ask on here and receive advice, especially on re-loading. In fact you will probably receive too much information to start with. :blink:

G.M.

Hornady A max are classed as Target ammo and as such can be mail ordered without any proof of who you are, and the A max is used by alot of people for fox/vermin, and is even listed as 'suitable for thin skinned game' in the Hornady Manual. One way of getting around the current stupid laws.