Loading Shotshells

roughshooter

I have finally bought a 12g Hushpower and have to say I am extremely impressed with the quietness when shot with subsonic shells.

Thus far I have only been able to get 28gramme eley 7 1/2's although I do have on order some 32 gramme 6's which leads me to ask the question - How effective would it be to homeload 34 or 36 gramme subsonics in 5 shot?

Is there Data available for loading subs and what would be the costs of the kit to do them or should I try and find an experienced homeloader with all the kit to load me 100 to 500 as a trial?;)???

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Regards

Graham

I have been informed

read read read

And then read some more BEFORE i even contemplate reloading for myself as mixing the wrong powders and primers can be a bit risky ;)

Besides it's just as cheap to buy your NEW ones from what i can gather??

It's gonna be a while yet before i even think about reloading my own ;)

The gear can be expensive if buying new the press etc

The other stuff like powder scales too dep on which scales you buy.

As i say ic works out just as cheap (if not cheaper initially) to buy ready made cartridges.

And something else i was told was DON'T use reloaded cartridges from other people as you DON'T know what they have put in there powder or shot wise ;)

Just a friendly pointer

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie

Roughshooter,

Unlike LG, I won't fill your entire screen with my reply, but looking to use 36 gram loads at sub-sonic speeds is an odd combination, as the more lead you want to put in the air, the more powder you need to burn, and more powder = bigger bang.

You'll probably blow the baffles in your gun if you start experimenting, why don't you speak to the makers of Hushpower guns, and see what they say..??

Cat.

I'm not to sure you would be much cheaper reloading for the 12 nowdays.

It's quite expensive to start,it cost me around 400 quid to start reloading for the 10.

However, i now beleive that i have perhaps recovered the cost of the press etc with the money i have saved

It's also quite time consuming and if like me you are buzy it becomes a real bind.

You do on the other hand get to a better quality shell than some of the **** available in the shops

read read read

Very well said Lord Geordie,

If you can talk to somebody who loads for the 12 that would be your best bet.

Roughshooter,

Unlike LG, I won't fill your entire screen with my reply, but looking to use 36 gram loads at sub-sonic speeds is an odd combination, as the more lead you want to put in the air, the more powder you need to burn, and more powder = bigger bang.

You'll probably blow the baffles in your gun if you start experimenting, why don't you speak to the makers of Hushpower guns, and see what they say..??

Cat.

;)

The Hushpower will shoot any normal 70mm cartridge but I would like a subsonic cartridge in a no 5 for bunnies. I have always found these far more preferable than a no 6 but perhaps it is just me - we all have our own preferences however quaint they may be.

The cost is really not a consideration more the practicallity.

Thanks for all your thoughts and I look forward to hearing more!!!!!!

Mostly telling me I'm a fool but one can only ask the questiuon

Regards

Graham

Roughshooter,

Cat.

I don't think you'll blow the baffles.

The Huspower barrel is drilled all the way up so some of the gas expansion is taken off.

The shot doesnt really go past the baffles.

If you put a higher power cartidge through, you lose some of the sound damping though.

The standard cartridges I bought were a bit light on shot size.

It would be nice to be able to shove out a heavier load ;)

I reload and my answer is...........just buy them.

Wildfowlers are the only ones to get any kind of payback as they do work out cheaper for non tox.

I will check my data and get back to you on price for 250 or so in 36gm (if it`s possible and personally I don`t think you can as you need a slow powder)

I have no data for 36gm subsonics,so it would need working down from a set formula and need chronographing so in a word EXPENSIVE.

You could pick up the reloading tool(relatively)cheaply then the scales and all the wads/primers/powder/lead on top.

Ithink your better off buying.IMO ;)

Guest john5
I reload and my answer is...........just buy them.

Wildfowlers are the only ones to get any kind of payback as they do work out cheaper for non tox.

I will check my data and get back to you on price for 250 or so in 36gm (if it`s possible and personally I don`t think you can as you need a slow powder)

yep henry has it !,...... it is only worth reloading for a 12 bore if you are considering magnum loads for wildfowling,..... other than that , i would leave well alone ;)

yep henry has it !,...... it is only worth reloading for a 12 bore if you are considering magnum loads for wildfowling,..

And I wouldn't even bgother with that. The expensive part of the non toxic loads is the shot. And if you have to buy that form Gamebore or Express then it isn't worth reloading.

Personally I don't fire enough cartridges (no more than 100ish) throughout the season to make it worthwhile.

Cheers

Martin

I agree with most of what has been said - the criteria however is that a subsonic heavy no 5 is not commercially available! If it was then I would go and buy 1000 but sadly I can't. Necessity is the mother of all invention and that is why I ask the question.

I will email clay and game reloaders and seek there advice

Thanks for all your input

Regards

Graham