How many of you shoot .204 Ruger

I shoot one and I'm very impressed with it. Mine is a Sako 75, which I had re-barrelled by Chris at UK Gunworks with a Shilen match barrel. As you would expect it's very accurate. I only use 39gr bullets and I am getting about 3,800 fps, which makes it very flat shooting. I have shot quite a few foxes with it and the results have always been very conclusive.

I can't comment on factory ammo, as I have always reloaded for it.

I have one and all i can say is brillant , the performance is unreal, flat shooting and vry effective , was at my friends range last week zeroing it after changing bullets , he has a .223 and does alot of rifle shooting and has now applied for one he was so impressed ! perfect for fox , rabbits and large corvids all at long range !

Same as ColinF above I rebarreled a Sako 75 stainless varmint with a Pac-Nor barrel. 39gr Blitzkings are very accurate but to be honest I get good results with the Nosler 32 and 40gr bullets as well. I am really sold on the 204 Ruger. Though my velocity results with the 22" barrel don't come close to some of the advertised claims. I have a decent load using Varget which gets about 3650fps with the 39gr BK's and groups well.

I have a .204 ruger and I love it. I use it on rabbits, fox and on corvids at longer range from a high seat when they are a bit too wise for the shot gun. I tried factory ammo for a while as the shop threw me in 200 rounds when I bought the rifle. To be honest they shot quite well and the groupings weren't too bad. I now reload myself though as i'm a tight *** and couldn't justify paying a pound a shot for factory loads. I now use 40gr v-max with varget powder.I can now shoot single hole groups at 100yds and not far off at 200.

Nick

I have a .204 ruger and I love it. I use it on rabbits, fox and on corvids at longer range from a high seat when they are a bit too wise for the shot gun. I tried factory ammo for a while as the shop threw me in 200 rounds when I bought the rifle. To be honest they shot quite well and the groupings weren't too bad. I now reload myself though as i'm a tight *** and couldn't justify paying a pound a shot for factory loads. I now use 40gr v-max with varget powder.I can now shoot single hole groups at 100yds and not far off at 200.

Nick

How far of the lands are you seating your bullets? My mate had a howa in 204 and could not seat his bullets any where near the lands,if he wanted to use the magazine. Is this just a howa problem?

I was condisering putting in for a .223 to replace my WMR which is now sold...

I was told to go .223 as the .204 is a barrel burner?

With say a velocity of 3,400, how many rounds would you expect a well looked after barrel to last? :hmm:

dont worry about barrel life mate. its not like your target shooting with it. there is alot of rubbish about barrel wear. a well looked after rifle for vermin and fox. with the odd target day will last a very long time

How far of the lands are you seating your bullets? My mate had a howa in 204 and could not seat his bullets any where near the lands,if he wanted to use the magazine. Is this just a howa problem?

I do have to admit that i did have a bit of an issue at first. I have a friend who Is a gun smith so i had him take a look. He found that the issue was with the magazine rather than anything else. He just got some glass paper out and gave the plate that pushes the round upwards a good go around all the sides of it for about 15 mins. ever since he did this it has been as right as rain. Befor he did it I had to load really quite short rounds to get the mag to work properly. My theory is that the rifle manufacturers are so far trying to get away with the same magazines that they fit on either their .222 or .223 and it just isn't quite working with the slightly bulkier ( if Im remembering right) case of the .204. I shoot with a ruger so it could be a issue for all .204s it would be nteresting to hear if anybody else has had the same issues. I should probably say that the gunsmith I got to look at it is a truly great smith and if he says it's the magazine then you can gaurantee that it is. Next time I see him I will ask him if he knows if it is the same for all manufacturers.

I saw him again yesterday, he confirmed my suspicions that the magazines will have been made for a .223 originally and that in any newer rifles they should have been adapted to the .204. He said if anybody is having problems they should take them back. He also said that the way the .204 works at it's most efficient is to push the bullets quite far into the case. He also said that if I would have spoken to him first that even though I will and do love my .204 and it will give me many years service before it needs rebarreling or anything like that. He would have tried to talk me into getting the .20 tactical. He says it is a much better flatter faster round. But he does build them himself so I'm not sure sometimes he realises how hard these things are to find at reasonable money.

Nick

Probably.

Freebore issues with Howa / Weatherby rifles are well documented online, a quick google even shows a thread where someone else with a Hows .204 is having trouble.

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5182

I was condisering putting in for a .223 to replace my WMR which is now sold...

I was told to go .223 as the .204 is a barrel burner?

With say a velocity of 3,400, how many rounds would you expect a well looked after barrel to last? :hmm:

I shoot my 204 with a 40g doing about 3400 and a 39gn bit faster

if you home load you can keep the speed to what you want