1,100+ pigeons in a fortnight

Topgunners

Hi everybody.

What a weekend we had.

Just to follow on from my last post. I arranged for a couple of the lads to come out with me last Saturday. 1 local and one so keen he travelled down from nottingham at 03.30am to be with me by 05.00am as arranged.We split up and went our different ways to recce a few farms for the pigeons. After a couple of hours and numerous phone calls we decided the biggest flocks were on the farm I shot last week.

We arrived at the wheat fields to see about 300-400 flighting across and dropping into a couple of fields. I set the boys up under the flightline about 8.30am. on the edge of a pit and I went across into another field to their left.

Within minutes of them setting up I could hear the banging and it continued all day right up till 7.00pm when we packed up. I drove round to see them and the lad from nottingham was packing away all his new gear. Fair play to him; as he had bought a magnet, 2xflapper/peckers, bouncing floaters, 500 shells. mega keen isn't the word. Nice one James.

Their total bag was 156 and I had shot 78. Total 234. He couldn't thank me enough for the excellent day he had.

Sunday

I was on my own on Sunday and arrived at another farm at the crack of dawn to have a go at some "blackies" that were hitting some spring barley???? They were just starting to flight out of a wood opposite and landing on the telegraph wires. I set up on the edge of a little spinney opposite and bagged 48 blackies and a magpie.At 9.00am i packed up as it had gone mega quiet.I then went back to the wheat fields we had shot yesterday and the pigeons were hitting it hard. I set up on the opposite edge of the pit and had a top day. Shot 223 by 7.00pm and then off back home for some nosh. I was very hungry by then and very happy too.

Top weekend.

457 pigeons

48 blackies

1 magpie.

Total 506

Thursday

After a quick count up I calculated that we had shot 902 pigeons in the last 2 weekends, so decided to go again yesterday and try and get that 100 more for the thousand. It was forecast rain for friday/saturday/sunday so only day left in the sunshine. I again set up on the wheat field but this time with my back to a low hedge and the umbrella up and draped in camo cloth. It was slow going at the start and I had only shot 15 in the first 1 1/2 hours but then picked up steady until about 4.00pm and then went " mental". I couldn't re-load my semi quick enough as the birds came screaming in from over the road. I packed up at 8.00pm and had bagged 226 pigeons. Wooohoooo. 2, back to back 200+ bags on my own. Haven't ever done that before. My turn to be chuffed to bits. :yahoo:

Total 1,128 pigeons plus the blackies. Magic.

Now the cost doesn't come into it. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will do later on today, when I have to go and buy another 2,000 shells.

Roll on the harvesting. :good:

Dave K

The Original

Edited by Topgunners

Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated. I am now sat here in the pouring rain. Aaaaaaagh. 7 farmers rang me last night to say they had either started combining or the birds were hitting the crops.

What a gutter as I haven't found a bird yet. As for your question cranfield, I am still using my trusty berefta 391 and 6_32gm plastic.

the pattern is brilliant. Looks like a god damn washout this weekend.

Wounded ain't the word.

Dave k

The original

• 2 weeks later...