cover face

kacy

Does it make much difference covering the face with a veil when pigeon shooting or is this just over doing it, as in the feilds where i shoot some of the other guys hardly hide up and wear very little camo and have a good bag

In my experience, it depends how open a position you choose.

If you are low and behind a 'see - through' hide or blind, it doesnt make much difference.

Standing, in even a semi exposed position - it does.

I also find that ungloved hands cause the birds to shear off.

Pigeons are able to see even a static face at maybe a 100yds and take avoiding action.

Sometimes though the birds are so intent on feeding you can stand still, in plain sight and they still come in.

General rule though for me is a see-through hide, as I dont get on with face veils.

An alternative is a thin neck warmer/camo pulled just over the nose, leaving the eyes exposed.

In my experience, it depends how open a position you choose.

If you are low and behind a 'see - through' hide or blind, it doesnt make much difference.

Standing, in even a semi exposed position - it does.

I also find that ungloved hands cause the birds to shear off.

Pigeons are able to see even a static face at maybe a 100yds and take avoiding action.

Sometimes though the birds are so intent on feeding you can stand still, in plain sight and they still come in.

General rule though for me is a see-through hide, as I dont get on with face veils.

An alternative is a thin neck warmer/camo pulled just over the nose, leaving the eyes exposed.

90 % with you on that reply, but I feel the birds will see the barrels before the hands, as there is a lot of gun coming over the net/hide before the hands are exposed.

I use a army neck roll and also I made a veil from a piece of scrim and some clothing elastic as I prefer a close fitting veil because the loose ones can ride up under the face and I find that distracting.

However, sitting still is probably the most important discipline to master…. :oops:

TEH

Kes has got it right IMO, but to be on the safe side I wear gloves and a face veil all the time.

When setting up a hide its always worth having a look at it from a distance, a big bonus is having someone stand in it for you and move about etc.

Get them to show their face and hands and you will see they really stand out against the background and if they move its 10 times more obvious.

Thats often why pigeons suddenly spook as they come into decoys.

I found a good spot on the track on the boundary/hedge on one farm. I drove along the badly rutted track, bouncing and banging along, stopped because I saw 5 woodies feeding about 50 yards away, got out of the Frontera, as soon as I stuck my bonce through the gap they were off like a shot!

If I'd put my camo cap and veil on they wouldn't have moved, my gun is camo wrapped so they don't see it so much, nor my hands...plus I was facing the sun so must have lit up my boat race like a beacon :lol::lol:

Edited by jacksdad

I think movement in general can put pigeons off, but i don't think pigeons are put off by static gun barrels or hands, just erratic movement.

I bet if when i'm next in a hide, i hold up both my hands and wait for pigeons to come in, they will take no notice. If i start waving them about, different story - and the same goes for gun barrels.

Face veils etc are not needed, but i usually use one as i spend alot of time with my head above the hide net, looking for pigeons.

I wear glasses, I'm not sure whether light reflected of these makes me stick out like

a sore thumb but sometimes birds seem to shy away when I'm looking about for them.

I recently got a green scrim scarf from ebay and wear it as a schemagh over a

hat with a brim. This provides quite a bit of cover over my glasses and has been

very sucessful sitting in plain sight of rabbits.

I'm definitely going to try this combination next time I'm out on the pigeons.

Nial.

Edited by Nial

i've never used one and never felt as though i'm missing out for it. as others have said, movement is the key thing that will scare off the birds, and this is where a see through net comes in so handy, ghost stealth i use, you can watch without being seen. i do always wear a flat cap though, as i think the sun shining off my big bald head would put off pigeons and shooters alike!!

Kes has got it right IMO, but to be on the safe side I wear gloves and a face veil all the time.

When setting up a hide its always worth having a look at it from a distance, a big bonus is having someone stand in it for you and move about etc.

Get them to show their face and hands and you will see they really stand out against the background and if they move its 10 times more obvious.

Thats often why pigeons suddenly spook as they come into decoys.

Absolutely, it never ceases to amaze me how different a hide looks from a distance than how you think it looks when you're building it, especially with someone in it!!

as an aside I really can't get on with wearing gloves and I'm sure it loses me loads of birds, I do wear a wide brimmed hat, to keep my face in shade, and veil most of the time, does limit your peripheral vision though.

I wear glasses, I'm not sure whether light reflected of these makes me stick out like

a sore thumb but sometimes birds seem to shy away when I'm looking about for them.

I recently got a green scrim scarf from ebay and wear it as a schemagh over a

hat with a brim. This provides quite a bit of cover over my glasses and has been

very sucessful sitting in plain sight of rabbits.

I'm definitely going to try this combination next time I'm out on the pigeons.

Nial.

Last week my son & I were shooting over Deeks from 2 hides, mid way through the morning he lined up on a bird that was off to my left but slightly out of my sight, the only thing I saw from his position was a flash of sunlight that reflected off his scope lens for a split second - but it was enough to spook the bird. Some things you just cant cater for I suppose, but with regard to your glasses, have you considered a wide brimmed hat?

Edited by PLH1966

• 4 weeks later...