miroku

duck duster

With any luck you will know more about this than me.

I used to have a Miroku 600. Upon manufacture the barrels were bored, for a reason known only to the Japs, at .740 thou, right on the upper limit for a 12 bore. This meant that with a bit of wear the barrels are rendered out of proof as I discovered to my irritation when I tried to sell mine.

I think this problem extended to some of the early 700 range as well and it might be worth checking the bores with a bore mike.

I appreciate that this would be done in a gun dealers anyway but they are`nt obliged to tell you what the bores mike up at, just whether or not they are in proof.

It`s well worth checking up on the actual number. You could be buying a gun which, with heavy use could be unsaleable without being reproofed.

Unless a Miroku enthusiast knows differently?

Guest cookoff013

usually opening up the bores reduces recoil and increases the speed of the shot (only a little bit mind).

i`ve heard of a gun manufactured with bores of .800, ! that gave superb open patterns, and no recoil. not bad for a 25" skeet gun.

but i believe those were the days of Black powder....

Probably true. But just to reiterate the point, if 12 bore is between .719 and .740 thou, if you go outside that you need a re proof which is likely to be expensive and time consuming.

Great guns that Miroku`s are, and I had mine for years and shot everything with it, I would not purchase another older model without first checking what I have detailed above.If the gun happened to be one of those initially bored at .740, then I would`nt buy it for the reasons given.

This fact was well known at the time the guns came out, some forty years ago, and is a well known fact with older members of the gun trade. If, however, the gun is in proof a trade vendor is under no obligation to tell you any of the above.

good info guys,but we still have not tracked one down.

as far as i know the barrel problem was more with the 600 series as the ore were ok and never heard any problems with the 700 or 800 which were produced at the same time,one being a game model the other a sporter or trap gun.

I was in a local RFD some years ago just as an old chap was bring in his Miroku 800 skeet gun for the dealer to sell for him. Alas the old guy had the big C and was tying up things before he got much worse. When he first bought the gun some 30 years before he bought 4 boxes of shells with it - he actually returned 2 boxes of these with the gun. The wee gun was immaculate and I bought it there and then. I still have it and have to say you would have to spend several grand to get anyway near the build quality of this gun today. The gun is built like a tank and I have no doubt my son will be able to get a lifes shooting out of it after my day. Don't know a huge amount about the modern Miroku's but the 800 range was superb. Mine is not the hand finished version, just the black action 800, but it is still an absolute beauty.

Have to agree about the build quality. I had some work done on the stock of mine by a "proper" gunsmith who rarely worked on anything less than Purdeys or Hollands and who occassionaly sullied his hands with top grade Brownings and suchlike.

He was working on my gun through the good offices of a friend but remarked with some surprise on how well the cheap old Miroku was built by comparison to modern, top grade Brownings. Even the straight grained and rather plain wood got his nod of approval since it was properly dried and not still green like the new Browning he showed me for comparison.

Well worth searching out a good one. At least they handle nicely with a bit of life as opposed to the numb feeling of my current Beretta.

looking for a 700 as their a game model and not a heavy sporter,to buy the same quality today as Beanieboy said would cost thousands.

I don`t doubt you or others who seen to think highly of these but in reality it`ll still be a 40 year old gun and unless you luck into a near mint unused one it may still have had some abuse. What are you hoping to pay for one? I ask because you can pick up a used Beretta 682 in your preferred length for under £800 (687/6 even less); I would be willing to bet a keen engineer`s eye would declare that every bit as good (and cheaply re-buildable) as anything else ever made anywhere.

• 7 years later...
4 hours ago, smolinan said:

I have a Miroku 700, wonderful trap gun, but I do not have a manual.  I would like to know if it is possible to fire the upper barrel and immediately fire the lower barrel without resetting the barrel and safety control. Does any one know? 

If you own one then surely the easiest way to find out is to do it? 

5 hours ago, smolinan said:

I have a Miroku 700, wonderful trap gun, but I do not have a manual.  I would like to know if it is possible to fire the upper barrel and immediately fire the lower barrel without resetting the barrel and safety control. Does any one know? 

Odd question, so how long have you owned the gun? Have you fired the gun? Why would you need to reset the gun to fire the second barrel top or bottom depending on safety selection position?