Home made Jeep rifle rest.

sako751sg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally up to the job.All soldered and very strong.The actual cradle is positioned so the weight is pretty well dispersed.

I hope you're right. A friend and I had a go at something very, very similar about 10 years ago. We eventually found that standard copper pipe doesn't have sufficient wall thickness to stop it flexing and eventually failing. We ended up using steel gas pipe in the end. Once we realised that the extra weight involved isn't really an issue. We made 2 up. 1 for each window. They worked reasonably well and were only scrapped when the vehicle was changed.

We now have these instead mk2_window_bag_4.jpg

http://www.equifixshootingbags.co.uk/index.php?p=1_6_Window-Rest-Bags

I hope you're right. A friend and I had a go at something very, very similar about 10 years ago. We eventually found that standard copper pipe doesn't have sufficient wall thickness to stop it flexing and eventually failing. We ended up using steel gas pipe in the end. Once we realised that the extra weight involved isn't really an issue. We made 2 up. 1 for each window. They worked reasonably well and were only scrapped when the vehicle was changed.

We now have these instead mk2_window_bag_4.jpg

http://www.equifixshootingbags.co.uk/index.php?p=1_6_Window-Rest-Bags

Nice sales pitch fella.

Could you tell me how an 8 inch length of copper "fails" as that is the longest piece that has any load bearing on it.Does it start leaking as im not worried about that,but for it to bend or crease you would need a great weight instead of a rifle sitting on it.Your bag is ok,but you still have the movement,noise and time of raising the rifle from its position onto the bag,whereas it sitting in the cradle means very minimal movement,and for that reason,im out.

Edited by sako751sg

Can you explain exactly what kind of flexing your copper was doing to cause it to fail? As a plumber of 28 years i can't see any reason how the copper on this rest will fail.Can you point out the bits on the pictures where the problems are likely to occur.

Nice sales pitch fella.

Could you tell me how an 8 inch length of copper "fails" as that is the longest piece that has any load bearing on it.Does it start leaking as im not worried about that,but for it to bend or crease you would need a great weight instead of a rifle sitting on it.Your bag is ok,but you still have the movement,noise and time of raising the rifle from its position onto the bag,whereas it sitting in the cradle means very minimal movement,and for that reason,im out.

No sales pitch. I have nowt to do with the manufacturers.

Our experience was that the thin walled copper piping you have used in your design would inevitably fail at the pivot/bend points. IIRC we went thru 3 design changes before we ditched the copper pipe and went over to the gas pipe.

There is little or no movement required when using the window bags. You simply rest the rifles fore end on the bag and drop the butt of the rifle into your lap. If you need more or less elevation, something difficult to achieve with your cradle design, you just raise or lower the window. Simples!

Perhaps your design will work out for you.

Edited by Nogbad

Can you explain exactly what kind of flexing your copper was doing to cause it to fail? As a plumber of 28 years i can't see any reason how the copper on this rest will fail.Can you point out the bits on the pictures where the problems are likely to occur.

See my reply above.

See my reply above.

Maybe you are right and time will tell with them but maybe you could try answering the mans question about how they "fail".What failure causes them not to work.You mention flexing and failing when there is no flexing so what about the bends fails.In other words,please please explain what you mean by failing.Please,and that way we can try and address the problem. :good:

Edited by sako751sg

I thought I had answered the questions regarding the possible/potential failure. Admittedly in a some what brief manner. I didn't anticipate that you would require a detailed explanation.

Here goes.

The major flaw/weakness in your rest is the design and materials used for the central pivot point. As you have a high point loading focused on the most critical element. You'll find that the mouth of the bottom 90deg T will bell out with usage. There by increasing the point loading on the short spigot on the cradle. Eventually either the spigot or the 90deg T will deform. If you look at the photo of the rest where the rifle is sitting in the cradle you can see the rest already bending.

As I said copper tube has insufficient wall strength. Hence we changed to gas pipe. It also allowed us to incorporate a bearing into the pivot rest assembly.

Our final design worked trouble free for over 4 years. Perhaps yours will last longer, who knows. :thumbs:

depends entirely on your mirror, also that only gives a certain field of view if they come round the side then you have the window or nothing to lean on. Looks a good design to me, if copper bending became an issue I bet you could find something to fill the pipe with to make it rigid. A couple of tubes of no more nails springs to mind as a cheap and solid filler that will not compress and let it bend.

I had thought Nogbad might be MC for a short while back but looking at this thread definitely not :hmm:

I dont understand whats wrong with just using the wing mirror to lean on rather than twisting in the seat !

:good:

Oh man,the comedians keep coming.Please find this model of Jeep and try and shoot off the wing mirror,and then come back and comment.Please please and please.

I thought I had answered the questions regarding the possible/potential failure. Admittedly in a some what brief manner. I didn't anticipate that you would require a detailed explanation.

Here goes.

The major flaw/weakness in your rest is the design and materials used for the central pivot point. As you have a high point loading focused on the most critical element. You'll find that the mouth of the bottom 90deg T will bell out with usage. There by increasing the point loading on the short spigot on the cradle. Eventually either the spigot or the 90deg T will deform. If you look at the photo of the rest where the rifle is sitting in the cradle you can see the rest already bending.

As I said copper tube has insufficient wall strength. Hence we changed to gas pipe. It also allowed us to incorporate a bearing into the pivot rest assembly.

Our final design worked trouble free for over 4 years. Perhaps yours will last longer, who knows. :thumbs:

Right,here goes.You stated the pipe will fail but now its the bends??Please decide which.On to your eyesight seeing the rest bending.Try specsavers.There is a bit which possibly looks bending,but its in fact soldered offset to level up the cradle and give a bit of vertical adjustment.Its no wonder yours failed when you didnt think things out properly.

depends entirely on your mirror, also that only gives a certain field of view if they come round the side then you have the window or nothing to lean on. Looks a good design to me, if copper bending became an issue I bet you could find something to fill the pipe with to make it rigid. A couple of tubes of no more nails springs to mind as a cheap and solid filler that will not compress and let it bend.

I had thought Nogbad might be MC for a short while back but looking at this thread definitely not :hmm:

Spot on about the mirror fella.No way would you get a comfortable position to sit for up to 8 hours with the rifle on the mirror.And you sound as though you have a bit of grey matter,so get an 8 inch length of 3/4 inch copoper and try and flex it until failure.If GIXER comes throgh to have a look im sure he will leave an unbiased opinion of it,unless he says its **** and in that case he is wrong. :lol:

Right,here goes.You stated the pipe will fail but now its the bends??Please decide which.On to your eyesight seeing the rest bending.Try specsavers.There is a bit which possibly looks bending,but its in fact soldered offset to level up the cradle and give a bit of vertical adjustment.Its no wonder yours failed when you didnt think things out properly.

ROTFLMAO

If it bends it fails. Sorry if its getting too technical.

Still you'll find out soon enough if you give it enough use. I guess some people only learn by doing it themselves.

Having been there, and done it.I think I've even seen the video and worn the T shirt, we have moved firmly over to using the window bag rests as posted. We definitely won't be going back to using plumbers copper pipe and soldered fittings .

Edited by Nogbad

If it bends it fails mate. Sorry if its getting too technical.

Still you'll find out soon enough if you give it enough use. I guess some people only learn by doing it themselves.

Having been there, and done it.I think I've even seen the video and worn the T shirt, we have moved firmly over to using the window bag rests as posted. We definitely won't be going back to using plumbers copper pipe and soldered fittings .

Hmmm,you are surely on here for the comedy value.Maybe if you had gotten a bit more technical you wouldnt have failed in your simple task.Why would an 8 inch copper pipe bend when the pivot point is central to the weight dipersion.And i know you have done it,watched the vid and worn the Tshirt,but do it right next time and you will not fail.Im also presuming your bent too,as your trolling has been an epic fail.

Anyhow,ill let you get the last word in but please keep taking the medication.

Edited by sako751sg

I dont understand whats wrong with just using the wing mirror to lean on rather than twisting in the seat !

:good:

The main problem with using the wing mirror is it only allows for a small arc of ground to be covered. If the target moves out of that small arc you have no choice but to move the vehicle. With a window rest bag from Equifix or a well designed window rest like the one sold by Arthur Carters. Not the mickey mouse sort cobbled together by Sako and his brother. :lol: You get a fair wider arc of ground covered and a more stable and more comfortable rest if parked up and sat waiting on a particular vantage point.

Having said that I still use the wing mirror if the need or opportunity arises. Horses for courses. :)

There's no price that can be put on experience. :smartass:

Edited by Nogbad

Looks a good job dave. Love to know how you can see it bending when it's covered in lagging :hmm: I made one out of copper and a double glass sucker and it worked well.

Without seeing your one i know the copper is already bending and your joints are failing so buy a bag instead.And believe me,i made the vid and the Tshirt.I wondered about the xray vision she has too and i dont want to goad her too much in case its superman. :yp:

In fact i did see yours fella and a good job too.

The main problem with using the wing mirror is it only allows for a small arc of ground to be covered. If the target moves out of that small arc you have no choice but to move the vehicle. With a window rest bag from Equifix or a well designed window rest like the one sold by Arthur Carters. Not the kind cobbled together by Sako and his brother. :lol: You get a fair wider arc of ground covered and a more stable and more comfortable rest if parked up and sat waiting on a particular vantage point.

Having said that I still use the wing mirror if the need or opportunity arises. Horses for courses. :)

You will be ok with your mirror though fella as your 50cc mopeds will be lower than mine. :yp:

Your funny,i like you a lot.

Without seeing your one i know the copper is already bending and your joints are failing so buy a bag instead.And believe me,i made the vid and the Tshirt.I wondered about the xray vision she has too and i dont want to goad her too much in case its superman. :yp:

In fact i did see yours fella and a good job too.

You've got me sussed now guess il have to remake it with gas pipe or do you know where to buy a window bag thing ;) as I've no idea where to buy one