What seat do use in your hide?

flytie

Dear All, What seat do use in your hide? I have tried a few i.e. a bucket (came with hide bag, it's too short and not well padded), tilting seat model with adjustable height (it sinks in swampy ground, even though it has fold out bit's on the shaft side) and one of the camping canvas folding chairs (not high enough). Has anyone found the perfect Seat?

Regards, Flytie.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly, a standard adjustable shooting stick with a mud plate, which is most important.

It does not require flat ground to give you a secure seat.

If you are extra large of beam, you can put a small air (or fabric) cushion on it (like a friend of mine does).

Not heavy to carry and very versatile, they are so useful I own two. <_<

Cranfield, am looking at an inflatable cushion from sportfish to go with my seat!

Roe Doe, what sort of bucket do you use? I find the one supplied with my hide bag is too short, I am tempted by the mustad bait bucket but I need to see one first to check it's height.

Regards, flytie.

25 litre drum that I got from a local firm that used paint thinners, plus a small cushion. Ideal for me, broad base so it won't tip over and doesn't sink much in mud, lightweight, just the right height and replaceable, free, from the same place. I've used camping type chairs and found them too low, and liable to sink. Shooting sticks are often too high and can cause cramp during a long wait.

Magman, look after your knees they have to last you a lifetime! My dad kept telling me that rugby and the like would catch up with me in the end, he was right. Mind the car that knocked me over finished the job off nicely. I do like the idea of a wine/cider/beer pile comforter, I definately will try them and soon!

Regards, flytie.

I bought a blue plastic barrel from the game fair a few years ago. Not too heavy and the lid unscrews to let me keep my nets, cartridges and whatever in it.

It all fits into one of those German kit bags and is ideal as a seat (with a bit of sponge on the top). <_<

G.M.

I was given a 3 legged stool recently that folds flat. Does that make sense? I don't know where it came from as I haven't seen my friend for a while but it is brilliant!

It fits into the bag with the magnet and weighs next to nothing.

Never seen the like of it before but I would imagine it comes from the USA.

So I have been able to ditch the plastic 25 litre drum and got a lot more room in my rucksack to boot <_<

LB

I used to use an old plastic heavy duty fertiliser can until it cracked. It was perfect for the job and was the right height. I couldn't find another so peeled off too much money for one of those pigeon bucket seats you can carry deeks in etc. It's damn good I have to say. Seats are very important I think and it is vital to be comfortable otherwise it is difficult to shoot well. <_<

i use an alloy directors chair £20 ish from your local tackle shop the only trouble is its so comfy i often fall asleep if the pigeons dont come in it weighs about 3lb

i use the same mine has a little table that folds out put your tea and other stuff i.e binos etc not heavy and better than any seat i have seen doesnt sink and stays level which makes it easy to get out of it some chairs slope back slightly pain in the **** when you need to get up in a rush <_<

I use the old style fishing seat boxes, as do my mates and in fact just about everybody I've ever seen decoying! They can be picked up for a couple of quid at car boot sales etc. Best seat I've ever used was two plastic milk crates stacked with the game bag on top for a bit of padding. Too much hassle to lug around though. Also used them as the drivers seat in an old Talbot Alpine, those were the days.....

Just a quick warning, if like me you are substantially made be very careful of the weight rating on chairs you buy! Nearly all the fishing chairs you can buy are 16 stone maximum, a few are 18 stone and very occassional ones are rated for 19 stone. I have found some great ones for sale in the US of A (Cabela's) that meet the weight criteria but only one here; www.eurocosm.com. And this one is not high enough to get out of quickly when shooting. If your seat collpses at an awkward moment and you discharge your shotgun in a dangerous manner would your insurance cover you? Best not find out, be careful what you buy/use!

Regards, flytie.

A blue barrel - 50 litres in size, bought from a local pet food/corn merchant for £2-50 an absolute bargain. Perfect height, comfy plus you can store almost all you gear in it (easily takes the camo net, deeks flask sarnies etc)

:drinks::yahoo::beer::P:blush:

Sounds good, what was in it? Was there a brand name on it?

Ft