Myxomatosis

brooktrout

Reports on outbreaks of Myxy in springtime in parts of England puzzles me. Since the disease was introduced, the many occasions that I have witnessed it have always been around oct/nov here in wales, and noticeably during a warm wet period during these months, which are the ideal conditions for the carrier fleas to breed. On the other hand, we also have cold dry autumns followed by warm damp springs such as this year, but the disease has never to my knowledge appeared in springtime down here over the forty odd years since its introduction. Has anyone got any theories on why this is so?.

Brooktrout i have seen mixi at other times of year in our area, not very often about twice in the last 10 years and both of those occations were in very early summer. The out breaks of mixi usually coinside with the rabbit moving into un occupied warrens, where rabbits with mixi have died the previous year. The flea witch carries the mixi lays dorment in the warren till the heat off the body of a new rabbit wakes it from its slumber and so the cycle starts again. By the way theres a lot of pigeon on the playing field at the bottom of your village by the gardening club. Saw about 20 there on sat morn.

Tiercel, yes Ive noticed a few on that field.I wonder if anyone would complain if I setup a hide against the chapel and spread a few deeks on the field one sunday morning. Seriously though, Springtime seems to be normal time for a myxy outbreak in the english counties, and your reports surprise me. It goes to show theres always something to learn in this game. Cheers.

Brooktrout,

Went out last week, rabbiting in Cumbria. Lots of healthy young 'uns about and a few nice old 'uns. Plus one with mxy. Where that one came from I don't know. Up here mxy is more a harvest time thing but I have seen it at all times, except a hard winter.

around my area at least one farm i shoot the rabbit have mxy then it will die away and another farm will show rabbits with signs of mxy it is a year long battle for rabbits here but the main time is around july.