dogs coat dull does oil work?

mosa

Cod liver oil capsules from a health shop. get the 'one a day' ones, they are normally BOGOF so you take one each morning and give the dog one as well.

I am always getting compliments on the shine of my black Springadore.

As everyone else says - fish oil, tunas and sunflower oil is v good .Big dog an occassional tin (once a fortnight), meduim dog, half that. Sardines or bottled cod liver oil are cheaper mind. Unless you havea different supermarket tuna is about 2x the price of sardines.

We but cheapy tuna flakes in oil, give it to them once a week as a treat and all our mutts have lovely glossy coats....especially the GSP and they seem to love it too! Lots of dog biscuit have plenty of oil in them too if you read the ingredients :good:

Worth mentioning that a dry coat can be a symptom of a medical problem.

If you add oil to your pets food don't over do it. I heard of a horse that had to be shot because the owners had fed it so much cod liver oil it gave it a fatty liver and associated liver failure.

My vet told me to put primrose oil tablets in with mine a few years ago he said just stick one in his food once a day and that'll sort it unfortunately I never got round to doing it before my bitch died, he did tell me again when I got new lab but I haven't tried so can't comment if it would work

Sorry to be blunt and nobody else has mentioned it - but groom it. If as you say it is dull when at its longest, does that mean you clip it? - if so then it will be very woolly and not its best - try hand stripping it as opposed to clipping it.

A good groom, finished off with your hands to bring out the shine will keep the coat in its best condition - feed a good feed and it will contain all the oils it needs for its coat.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be blunt and nobody else has mentioned it - but groom it. If as you say it is dull when at its longest, does that mean you clip it? - if so then it will be very woolly and not its best - try hand stripping it as opposed to clipping it.

A good groom, finished off with your hands to bring out the shine will keep the coat in its best condition - feed a good feed and it will contain all the oils it needs for its coat.

Mike

if it has been clipped then prob too late for stripping as the coat will never have grown back the same after first clipping and will always grow back wooly.

what do you feed it? after trying and researching we now feed a brand called Collards and can 100% reccomend it. never known dogs with such shiny coat, so full of life and healthy. wherever we take dogs we get comments on how good the coat looks.

http://www.collardspetfood.co.uk/

if it has been clipped then prob too late for stripping as the coat will never have grown back the same after first clipping and will always grow back wooly.

The hair follicles don't know you've clipped it. The hair will continue to grow in just the same way.

My vet and local pet shop try flogging me expensive dog food all the time saying it will give him a good coat. Funny how he one best coat at a charity dog show the other day. He is on butchers wet meat and he has at least 4 eggs a week which he loves and seems to keep him healthy and looking good. Only thing with eggs is break them first as when we found him munching away in the kitchen he picked the egg out the bowl and cracked it on the floor.

The hair follicles don't know you've clipped it. The hair will continue to grow in just the same way.

no the hair follicles dont 'know' but the coat will not continue to grow in the same way.

hand stripping is a way of speeding up the natural process of the dogs coat moulting, thus removing the guard or outer coat. however when you clip, you cut through this coat and the under coat. when it grows back, the under coat grows much quicker and takes over the guard coat, thus the under coat becomes the one you see. guard coats are designed to be glossy for protection, under coat to be wooly for warmth. therefore once you clip and the guard coat takes over, your dog will have a dull wooly coat.

Edited by BenBhoy