Plum Brandy/Gin/Vodka

AlistairB

Hi, one of the girls at work has just bought a carrier bag full of plums and has plenty more at home, so i've decided to make a plum based liqeur. Unfortunately i dont have a decent recipe or a clue where to begin. I had a quick search but didnt come up with much.

If you've ever heard of the Foxdenton Estate fruit liqeurs, that's the sort of thing i'm after, fairly dry, not too sweet.

So i thought i'd prevail on the collective wisdom of PW to see who has a good recipe or tips and tricks. I've got plenty of small/medium/large kilner (Sp?) jars etc, so how do i go about it?

Thanks

AB

We made some Damson Vodka and Blackbery Vodka at the weekend.

Having looked at some recipes we went with:

1 litre Vodka

500 grams Berries/Damsons

250 grams sugar

I have used this ratio for years for Sloe Gin and am failrly sure that is what I used last time I made Damson Vodka.

I use kilner jars, cleaned well before use, whack it all in, give it a good shake (outside in case the seal is a bit iffy :oops: ) then just leave it for as long as you can.

I spoke to the Foxdenton people the other day. They dont do anything special. Start with a normal recipe and apply the following rules:

Lighter = less time maturing than normal recipes then remove fruit

Dryer & more kick = less fruit & start with dry booze

Less sweet = less sugar

Simples.

The damson gin I made last year I just half filled a 5 litre water bottle (the wide mouthed ones that you get from the supermarket) with damsons that'd been cut in two, then topped it up with gin, shake periodically and leave! I found I didn't need to add any sugar, the damsons were more than sweet enough. I managed to resist its charms last winter but I doubt it'll last to the end of this one!

Cheers

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to the Foxdenton people the other day. They dont do anything special. Start with a normal recipe and apply the following rules:

Lighter = less time maturing than normal recipes then remove fruit

Dryer & more kick = less fruit & start with dry booze

Less sweet = less sugar

Simples.

Dry booze? Do you mean something like a Dry Gin? If not then what do you recommend?

I've currently got some cherry brandy on the go. It's been in the mix for about a month now. Probably about another month at least before it's ready I reckon. I did it last year and it turned out pretty good.

I usually do a few litres of sloe gin. May have a go at blackberry whisky and/or vodka this year too, seeing as we've go a shed load of cultivated blackberries on the allotment this year.

Does anyone use a hydrometer to check the strength of their drams? I don't but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has. I'm not sure if the alcohol content does change but if so by how much in which direction?

• 2 weeks later...

4e0c5701.jpg

Left to right...

Raspberry vodka, cherry vodka, plum brandy, plum vodka, plum gin.

First two are about a month, middle two about a week old, end made today.

General fruit recipe is 70cl booze, 400g fruit, 200g caster sugar.

Slit the fruit but leave stones in.

Stick it all in a Kilner and shake every couple of days.

Ready in a month or two.

I love 'savoury' almonds but hate with a passion the Amaretto / Bakewell Tart almond essence flavour, it's one of the very few things where even the smell makes me heave.

In fact a personal hell would be being made to watch Big Bruv on a loop, being force-fed Mr Kiplings...yuk.

I think I may leave the stones out! :hmm:

Does anybody have a walnut tree in their garden or nearby?? Walnut brandy.....

The fruit needs to be picked early before they ripen and turn brown/black. Half fill a kilner jar with green fruit that has been will pricked/stabbed with a fork. 150g sugar and fill to the brim with vodka. Takes about 6 to 12 months to mature. The liquer does turn black, but don't be alarmed, after time it'll mellow to brown. That this stage it'll be ready for sampling. :D