key to shooting big bags?

soreshoulder

You need the right field with steady one and two birds traffic

coupled to a good hide under the traffic

coupled to a good pattern with deeks replaced by dead bids asap

coupled to a nice breeze carrying the sound of shots away from any holding woods

coupled to dull weather conditions

coupled to steady accurate shooting to kill pairs

coupled to not leaving the hide too often

Really good bags need all of the above.

coupled to a nice breeze carrying the sound of shots away from any holding woods

Sound advice mate :good: you also missed one :hmm: plenty of blinking carts and a hosepipe to cool your barrels down :D

not much then :lol:

I don't think there is a "key".

Most of my big bag days are unexpected and there have been many days when I have deliberately made sure I had at least 1000 cartridges in the 4x4, only to take 975 of them home. :rolleyes:

Pigeons are very unpredictable.

On some of the big bag days I have not had any of the items on hamster's list in my favour , apart from the good hide. :)

you also missed another one :yes: if theres plenty of pigeons there you will need to be a good shot to get a decent bag :lol::lol::good:

I think cranfield nailed it more.

the one most important thing is reconnaissance. get out and find the birds, once you have found them that let them build for as long as you dare.

some of my better bags have been totally out of the blue and totally opposite as to what most would expect.

wind very light and into my face.

bright sun.

hot.

birds coming in singles and then 20 at a time.

fuds or half shells as its standing crop so cradles will not hold dead birds high enough.

i guess there is no hard fast rules to it all. just get out and enjoy what shooting you get and dont get hung up on big bags.

You don't really 'need' any of the above. A good hide isn't essential, though it helps. You could have a poorly laid out pattern and birds will still come in, without any dead birds. No breeze is required. It doesn't matter whether it's dull or bright. Steady ones and twos is good, but i've also shot over 100 with 20's and 30's coming in all day.Accurate shooting obviously helps, but i've shot poorly (relatively) and still shot over 200.

There isn't a key to big bags as such, but some people shoot more than others because they have access to plenty of good pigeon land, know where and when to look for pigeons, can choose a really promising looking field over a half decent one, and have a bit of luck ,too.

You can only shoot what is coming into the field on that day, finding the birds’ feeding is the trick; having access to good, land with strong flight lines with woods in the local area makes so much difference.

Having the time to shoot is a real plus; the birds will start to build on your field while you are hard at work, and they will not be there when it comes to your weekend off.

Your set up will let you down or make the day as it is the last bit in the puzzle, keeping still, using shot birds in the pattern…the list is long and well left to a separate thread.

Be persistent and do not buy every gadget in the shop, as the bird you want to shoot just turns up to feed with or with out his or her mates, they are just hungry…..

TEH

just to add a lot of birds using chosen field when you arrive and for them to keep coming into or near decoy pattern

I've had quite a few opportunities where I should have shot 100+ but didn't because of my poor shooting.

Is it that you are a poor shot or just get over excited when a decent day is on the cards ?

i ask as I used to shoot with a guy who would hit most things on the slower days yet when he was faced with loads of pigeons and big bunches decoying almost without fail went to pieces and could not hit a thing !!

So another key for a big bag is dont panic and if you have a bunch decoy pick your bird and stay with it only choose the next one after the first is down. :good:

now on here there is lots of reports of 100 + birds but the closest i have come is 60-70, so is there a secret to getting big bags or what? :lol:

You haven't mentioned how many shots you have fired to get a bag of 60-70! What is your average kill

to cartridge rate? For instance, if you had killed 1 in every 4 birds then that is the reason you haven't broke

the big 100. Last january I shared a hide with my brother in a hotspot in Norfolk and for reasons of safety and

because we are not greedy shots we took turns to shoot. By being careful and picking our targets we killed 160

pigeons for just over 300 empty cases. That in my book is damn good - but we were discplined and are good shots.

Don't think if you load your semi-auto up (if you have one that is) with 8 rounds that it will

equate to 8 dead pigeons. Simply by just nailing one bird at each opportunity will increase your

numbers nicely coupled with odd left and right. Persevere and I think you will be successful my

friend. :good:

You don't really 'need' any of the above. A good hide isn't essential, though it helps. You could have a poorly laid out pattern and birds will still come in, without any dead birds. No breeze is required. It doesn't matter whether it's dull or bright. Steady ones and twos is good, but i've also shot over 100 with 20's and 30's coming in all day.Accurate shooting obviously helps, but i've shot poorly (relatively) and still shot over 200.

There isn't a key to big bags as such, but some people shoot more than others because they have access to plenty of good pigeon land, know where and when to look for pigeons, can choose a really promising looking field over a half decent one, and have a bit of luck ,too.

:stupid:

• 3 weeks later...

100% RIGHT. Absoluteley bang on advice given there, all these factors can make or break a day, get all of them right and youre in for a biggy. If one two or three of them are wrong..... results will worsen. Couldnt have said it any better Hamster. Man knows what he's talking about.

100% RIGHT. Absoluteley bang on advice given there, all these factors can make or break a day, get all of them right and youre in for a biggy. If one two or three of them are wrong..... results will worsen. Couldnt have said it any better Hamster. Man knows what he's talking about.

really!!?

I think Will knows that it is perfectly possible to shoot below par and have a big bag, do so with clusters of birds coming in instead of ones and twos, not be quite where you want and still do well, one of my very best days on rape was windless and sunny (had to strip down to a T shirt in Feb) for instance.

But in the main the things mentioned won`t hurt one bit, and the more of them that come together on the day the better.

Is it that you are a poor shot or just get over excited when a decent day is on the cards ?

i ask as I used to shoot with a guy who would hit most things on the slower days yet when he was faced with loads of pigeons and big bunches decoying almost without fail went to pieces and could not hit a thing !!

So another key for a big bag is dont panic and if you have a bunch decoy pick your bird and stay with it only choose the next one after the first is down. :good:

I've never shot anywhere near 100 but I do know that on some days I will start with barely a miss but as the day goes on I can become tired and then struggle to hit stuff at all. Bloody frustrating and never happens at clay clubs because I'm not shooting or alert for several hours at a time there.