W.Midlands Area Sporting Championship, Doveridge....

Catamong

I shot it on Saturday, very overcast and quite cold but no wind, a good range of targets, including an evil battue combined with a longish simmo dropping crow, all in all a good shoot, managed to grind out an 84, as usual left feeling "Could have done better..!!"

Did anybody else, (RRUK??) have a go..??

Cat

hi catamung,

if you shot a 84 at doveridge you have got to be, or should be well pleased with yourself.

its a hard ground to do well at as most of the birds are on the limit of your range, ,if you shoot well here then you will do well anywere else in the area. They are difficult targets quite a few at about 40 + yds and fast but they are all possible kills. Its a challange thats what its all about.

as said earlier 84 out of 100 is bloody good..

That is unless your in the England team B)

Edited by Dougy

It is a good score, and we think Cat is probably a very good shot indeed :good:

I don't wsih to de-value that achievment in any shape or form, but . . . .

The Junior class was won with an 84 B)

Don't you just hate those lil' *******! :good:

I've got to say I wasn't happy with an 84, as it was an England Team Selection shoot, and the team selection is done on a points away from the winner basis.

It was won with a 93, so my 84 gives me 9 points which is no good, as you have to get 6 points or less over your best 4 selection shoots, (including the English Open), to be guaranteed a place in the team.

And yes Dougy, I have shot for Sporting for England, six times in fact, although you wouldn't think it seeing me shoot last Saturday..!!

B) :good::good::good:

Cat.

are you shooting at hodnet in september then cat? i fancy having a go, no real hope of winning obviously, but i want to have a go at one of the big shoots just to see how i fare on a more challenging course.

Yes, I'll be there on the Saturday afternoon - I wouldn't miss that one for the world - in my opinion Hodnet, (now known as the West Midlands Shooting Ground), is probably the best Sporting ground in the country, in terms of target quality and potential, I can honestly say I've never known them put on a "bad" shoot.

Cat.

ive shot there a couple of times too, cracking targets. i shot quite well in the university champs this year but i was let down when i had to shoot driven targets. i just dont know what it is about them B)

im guessing numbers will be pretty high at the open though, il have to make my mind up quickly and enter.

I shot it on Saturday, very overcast and quite cold but no wind, a good range of targets, including an evil battue combined with a longish simmo dropping crow, all in all a good shoot, managed to grind out an 84, as usual left feeling "Could have done better..!!"

Did anybody else, (RRUK??) have a go..??

Cat

How do you rate this ground Cat compared to the rest for quality and difficulty ................I'm told if you can shoot well here then you've nowt to fear from anywhere .

Nice to see you venturing up to my neck of the woods :blush:

Ive,

When Doveridge first opened back in the mid 80's.. I think..??, they held the first World Sporting Championship there, which most experienced shooters reckoned was a bit of a let down, in terms of target quality, and the inability of the course setter to make the most of the ground.

Things have certainly changed since the Bramley family took over. They are a great bunch of folks, and put on some really good shoots. The British Open was held there last year, which many people believed was a tad too stiff, (me included), however I must say that Doveridge ranks very highly in my list of good Sporting Grounds, way ahead of say, Sporting Targets, near Bedford.

I also consider it "on my doorstep", in terms of distance travelled, as it's only 1hr 45mins from home, and I travel a lot further than that to shoot a good round of clays.

Cat.

[

I also consider it "on my doorstep", in terms of distance travelled, as it's only 1hr 45mins from home, and I travel a lot further than that to shoot a good round of clays.

Cat.

25 mins for me Cat so I guess I'm lucky ................I don't shoot there that much to be honest ,......It's not a cheap day out if there is only a couple of you :blush:

Deadeye,

You're dead right matey, it's not a cheap day out, especially when you add in the cost of travelling, Little Chef rip off breakfasts etc, you will right off a fair bit of cash, and the true cost of shooting every clay gets up around the £1 mark..!!

That's why I generally try and shoot only "quality" grounds like Doveridge, as you always leave the ground feeling "could have done better, but it's nobody's fault but my own"

Cat.