Town Fox. Will it eat your cat

0145wirbelwind

Theres a fox been visiting my garden, but can't shoot is cos of the cow shed at the bottom. It chased the neighbours cat, he tells the farmer, farmer tells me, I ask to shoot it and got another permission!!!! Still not got the little ******, another early morning wait for me tomorrow!!!

Until recently we had 2 big moggies, we lost one a. few weeks back. Both were rescue cats we bought back from Cyprus when l was still in uniform. They were/are huge and hard as nails and have had loads of scraps with dogs.

We live on the edge of a large village next to open countryside, and get a lot of foxes in and around our garden. I've often seen one of the cats and a fox in the garden at the same time. The cats just ignore the foxes. If the fox clocks the cat it usually skulks off. Once or twice a fox has pushed its luck and had a good savaging :)

Edited by Blunderbuss

My brother lives between 4 farms and has about 40 cats that turn up to be fed every day from the farms. Sometimes two foxes will venture into his garden to try grabbing the chickens or the cat food, but those cats then Gang up on them and Attack in a. Pack. The foxes then lose, but they do take the odd lone cat too, especially the older ones or kittens.

Edited by Redditch

They are taking cats more and more, I was in my garden last summer chatting to a friend when we heard the most ungodly scream I looked over the fence and there were 2 foxes trying to kill my neighbours 16 year old cat, i shooed them off poor old thing. I know of several people that have lost cats to foxes, one of them is a regualr on here. :yes:

They are taking cats more and more, I was in my garden last summer chatting to a friend when we heard the most ungodly scream I looked over the fence and there were 2 foxes trying to kill my neighbours 16 year old cat, i shooed them off poor old thing. I know of several people that have lost cats to foxes, one of them is a regualr on here. :yes:

Perhaps its time people started too keep their pet moggies indoors at night & in cages during the day ! :hmm:

I think trapping has to be the best option. Town Foxes are as thick as ****, or at least they are used to the smell of people so go into the traps easier. Once it's in you can either plug it in the garden (get yourself an old silenced .410 or use the 12g if the neighbours won't flip) or if that isn't an option chuck a sheet over the cage and take it to the farm to "sort out". :good:

• 1 month later...

lol, you cant tell people to crack it with a 2x4 dude ull have greenpeace knocking your door in no time!!

best way is to use the 12g.. id suggest a air rifle to the heart but i wouldnt want to try it myself unless it was an fac one. and even then youve gotta get it perfect or the fox will be screaming its head off.

urban fox's are aproblem on a farm im on.. they waltz around like they own the place. im not sure what to do with them after iv shot one tho.. do you just leave them?

lol, you cant tell people to crack it with a 2x4 dude ull have greenpeace knocking your door in no time!!

best way is to use the 12g.. id suggest a air rifle to the heart but i wouldnt want to try it myself unless it was an fac one. and even then youve gotta get it perfect or the fox will be screaming its head off.

urban fox's are aproblem on a farm im on.. they waltz around like they own the place. im not sure what to do with them after iv shot one tho.. do you just leave them?

Wow.

Killing something the size of a fox with a blow to the head is far more humane than shooting it in the heart with a sodding air rifle. If something is in a trap why would you shoot it anywhere other than the head? Especially with an airgun!

Considering you don't even know how to dispose of a dead fox I would rather suggest not posting advice on a public forum about shooting a trapped fox with an air rifle. :no:

FM

what is it with some people on here? have you lost your sense of humour matey? pretty sure poking something with a 2x4 (rarther than cracking it over the head.. what you going to do? put it on a lead and tie it to the fence?) is NOT the way to kill something.

and yes, a "soddin" airrifle (an fac one) will drop a fox the same as it would drop you if it hit you.. there was a article in a VERY well known shooting mag the other year about it.. its not the best, the cleanest, the most humane.. but it will dispach it.

and yes, whats wrong with not knowing what to do with the carcess? i live in an area where hunting with hounds is still done, so i dont get the oppertunity to shoot them... the closest iv had is calling them in.

what is it with some people on here? have you lost your sense of humour matey? pretty sure poking something with a 2x4 (rarther than cracking it over the head.. what you going to do? put it on a lead and tie it to the fence?) is NOT the way to kill something.

and yes, a "soddin" airrifle (an fac one) will drop a fox the same as it would drop you if it hit you.. there was a article in a VERY well known shooting mag the other year about it.. its not the best, the cleanest, the most humane.. but it will dispach it.

and yes, whats wrong with not knowing what to do with the carcess? i live in an area where hunting with hounds is still done, so i dont get the oppertunity to shoot them... the closest iv had is calling them in.

Sense of humour? Sorry I didn't realise it was funny suggesting people shoot trapped foxes in the heart with an air rifle and then refer to them screaming when you mess it up. I really must sit back and assess what is funny in life. :rolleyes: Comments like that just do the anti's who trawl these forums job for them. Not to mention concerned members of the general public who may read it having conducted a quick google search to check if their mog is safe from a fox in the garden.

Nobody suggested 'poking something with a 2x4' so I really don't know where that suggestion came from. Dispatching an animal with a single sharp blow to the back of the head when other means are not available is an entirely different matter.

The point I was making is it's common sense to just use your descretion when disposing of shot vermin that are not being eaten. Burying or placing at the bottom of a ditch well away from public view are common procedure. If you didn't know this then quite how you are able to comment on dispatching the same animal in a trap in an unsuitable manner is beyond me as you are clearly inexperienced. Being inexperienced yourself isn't a bad thing as everyone stared somewhere, but to then tell others what to do when it's quite frankly awful advice is another.

I'm not disputing a guns ability to eventually kill a fox or me, what I am saying is if you shoot a caged fox in the heart with an air rifle it will not end well.

FM

your missing my point and going for the jugular..

humour ... greenpeace will be knocking your door in. Not the airgun.. and if you read what i wrote.. i put, i wouldnt want to try it myself..

which can be a throwing something in the air for someone to say "no becaue of this" or "yes, because of this".. which generally doesnt involve some pillock trying to belittle me.

est way is to use the 12g.. id suggest a air rifle to the heart but i wouldnt want to try it myself unless it was an fac one. and even then youve gotta get it perfect or the fox will be screaming its head off.

Surely you are a troll? 12g in an enclosed area where i trap my foxes would be end of cert. I use a silenced .22lr, (and YES I have fox on my ticket for .22lr).

But a piece of 4x2 or a scaffolding pole is FAR more humane than an airgun to the heart, I take it you are joking? Hitting a foxes heart with an airgun would be like trying to shoot yuor single braincell rattling around in your head.....ALMOST impossible and of course they would scream.....wouldnt you? :no:

• 2 weeks later...

yeah we get a few foxes around here of a night time fearless lil ******* too!! had one follwoing me to see if i dropped and kentucky fried chuck on the way home from teh boozer the other week!! its a good job the mrs keeps our moggy indoors of a night time or i might get to see the wife take up one of my shotguns and go all elmer fudd!! chasin the fox thats just done for the cat!!

Hi all

Town foxs are become a big problem were i live. They have started eating peoples house cats. Now some might say thats not a bad thing, but for me it is a big problem. The wife love her cat. Now a big dog fox attack and killed next doors cat last night(the noise woke us up and by that time it was to late). Can anyone tell me what can be dun about the problem of the town fox

I would love to get the gun out but that would cause so much trouble. Has anyone had this problem before

Culling all the cats in the neighbourhood would probably help matters. I would also seize the opportunity to get rid of the wifes cat, no matter how much she love it! :shoot::innocent::whistling:

I dont see what the problem is?

I would sooner smell a fox in the back garden than I would what a cat leaves.

Cats get let of lightly in the food chain, their only other threat is the motor car.

I look after 2 fox families in my neighbourhood, probably too well, as the cats survive, perhaps I should stop feeding the fox all my rabbits and left over venison carcases! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:good: