anyone been out??

neil

Went out Sun night 5pm-8 got got woodies, on rapenot much about at the moment.

Checked out the pea field-nothing, linseed field 2

where are they all, because when I drive to work at 5am they are everywhere including great numbers on the road!!! just sitting there. Why do they do it???

Guest flightline

I was out Sat on a pea field where the shoots were perfect for pigeons. Just one thing wrong. They weren`t

interested. Just one feral. The birds seemed to be on some nearby set-aside where I didn`t have permission. Why do they do that when there`s lovely peas?

because when I drive to work at 5am they are everywhere including great numbers on the road!!! just sitting there. Why do they do it???

Woopigeons consume large amounts of grit. This is required by the birds to process their food. The grit is passed into the gizzard, which assisted by the grit grinds up the food so that it can be digested.

The birds are seen picking up grit at all times of the day, but more often than not at first light prior to feeding. It is a daily chore for the pigeon and I believe they consume vast amounts over the course of a year.

They definately seem to prefer the hard grit that is used on roads.

Imagine eating 30 acorns...

I am sure it would bung a man up forever, I would think that extra gritting is needed when they are eating these...

All the very best...

Gary...

Had 43 on peas last weekend and 22 a couple of days later. Managed 15,1 jay and a collard dove on staurday over a clover crop during the late afternoon.

Theres a good few arround at the moment, but they are spoiled for choice with clover, chickweed and peas.

Will be out one clover or peas this saturday. The peas are getting pretty tall at the moment so a couple of floaters are a must to pull them consistently.

Me and my mate went out on sunday had 125 on spring rape, should of been 150+ but did'nt shoot to well . Shall have another go this weekend on a different field. seem to be loads of pigeon in my area at the moment but this is the first big bag this year, also a few young birds getting about now which makes life easyer.

cheers

John

Guest flightline
Twenty five Monday evening over late peas.Blooming banger on there now.Hope they get used to it as they sometimes do!!!!!???  :blink:  ???

Why don`t you turn the banger off then reset it after you`ve shot? :lol:

I shot the one field to put the birds onto the one next door.The idea was to shoot it Saturday and give the birds time to build up a little.The banger may well put them off both fields or put them near the houses or horses,either way I lose.

There is a possibility that they will find enough room away from the banger where I can still get at them,I will just have to observe.