Sloe Liqueur

lord_seagrave

Strained the sloe liqueur this weekend - am now possessed of eight pints of VERY tasty :good: tipple. No way that's going to last until Christmas next year...

HOWEVER...

What do I do with all the macerated sloes? The sugar has ameliorated their bitterness a bit, but I still wouldn't want to eat them just as they are (besides which, the stones would make things awkward).

ANY IDEAS?

LS

If you can, get the pips out, and then pur the berries onto ice cream with a little sloe poured over that. Makes a very nice dessert indeed.

Whats your recipe secret then? made my first ever bottle this year, and I think its a tad dry.. have strained it and left it to mellow for a while. I used about 50/50 sugar/sloe weight mix. But They still seem a tad dry..

Place the fruit in a ceramic bowl and mash hard with a fork until you get a lot of flesh and stones,then remove the stones.

Melt some chocolate(the most expensive you can afford such as black & greene`s)in a bowl placed in a pan of boiling water but not touching the bottom of the pan.Mix the fruit into the melted chocy and then spoon onto greaseproof paper. B)

Better than any chocy you`ve ever had.

I made half a gallon of blakberry whisky towrds the end of last summer, after straining the berries out I used them to make a blackerry and apple crumble.

That was the best desert ever.

I wish i had waited a bit longer before straining the sloe gin, there has been some good ideas here.

Cheers

Martin

Read a story once (can't remember where), that a townie couple converted to the countryside, took up hunting and the local way of life. To cut a long story short they had permission off a farmer to pick "sloes" on his land to make gin, and took the advice of the farmer to "*****" every berry several times.

When asked how they got on, they answered that they had loads, but this was the first and last time that they would be doing it as it took too long, it came to light that they had picked and pricked hundreds of eldeberry.

My sons Girlfriend moved house a while ago and we found a Demi jon (spelling)

of sloe gin, she reckons its 5-7 yrs old??

Tastes ok though (understatement hic!!).

The wife is going to use the sloes to make a cheesecake when its done, which by the way wont be much longer.

Regards Sutty :blush::good:

Having spent the best part of an hour chasing sticky sloes around the kitchen (Henry D - "just mash them with a fork" - yeah right!), I resorted to peeling the flesh off with a small knife. Nevertheless I had a tea-cup ful of sloes which were duly chopped and thrown in to two melted Green & Blacks 70% choccy with a little honey and a slug of the sloe liqueur.

Result (after spreading thinly on a non-stick baking tray and refridgerating) - a delicious and very more-ish chocolate treat which tastes a lot like the G&B black cherry confection.

Still, life is just too short, SO:

Does anyone else have a way of getting the meat off a sloe?

LS

• 1 month later...
Having spent the best part of an hour chasing sticky sloes around the kitchen (Henry D - "just mash them with a fork" - yeah right!), I resorted to peeling the flesh off with a small knife. Nevertheless I had a tea-cup ful of sloes which were duly chopped and thrown in to two melted Green & Blacks 70% choccy with a little honey and a slug of the sloe liqueur.

Result (after spreading thinly on a non-stick baking tray and refridgerating) - a delicious and very more-ish chocolate treat which tastes a lot like the G&B black cherry confection.

Still, life is just too short, SO:

Does anyone else have a way of getting the meat off a sloe?

LS

Easiest way is to pop them in the freezer for a few days, and when you take them out you will find that the skins have been broken and split.

Saves all the messing with pricking them with a fork etc.

Doesn't affect the flavour at all, hic :rolleyes::yes:

Don