CrayFishing With bakerboy

Billy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so surprised at the simplicity of fishing for them. No licence required. I was told you only need a licence if you're putting down trap nets. We used drop nets and stayed with them.

I've ordered 4 drop nets on eBay for a grand total of £11 delivered. I'll test my local river, which luckily enough is the same one we fished.

Terry was saying that the kids love fishing for them and I can see why :yes: However, my favourite story/plan he told me is to set up near a riverside pub and once all the nets are out, have a pint and on your return, have a fair few sitting ready at the bait. That's my kind of fishing :lol:

I've found these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150635562597&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

They look pretty good with a bait clip etc. The pots look even better but what with needing the EA approval and having to go back the next day I'm not so sure about those. Where I plan to go has a lot of Cray's but it's a bit of a treck to go twice.

Yes, fresh water overnight, but you can do it within about 4/6 hours if you really want.

Our lot got about 4-5 hours of fresh water. I ended up just pulling the vein out and it was just a simple step during shelling - There was still a bit of poo in most of them.

My 9 year old grandson has telephoned me say that he has caught 10 Crayfish, all 8"+ :good: on the River Flit at Flitwick in Bedfordshire, this is his first time out on his own, (his Dad was nearby)choosing his own spot and baiting his own net.

By the way he only used the 1 net, I can sense what the next telephone call will be about. :lol::lol::lol:

There is a lot of free food out there, it just takes people to show how its done for many to benifit.

And it only takes a few greedy ****ers to ruin it for everyone. Be careful who you pass on your knowledge to.

Thats the good thing about the signals, if the stocks are ever depleted it will be a proper result.

I have spoken to the environment agency today, they have given me some info that I thought I would pass on. Unfortunately they have stopped all trapping of signal crayfish on the river test, itchen,meon and the hamble (most of the rivers round here) they also said that drop nets also need to be licensed.

I don't know how much of this info was accurate from my local fisheries officer ! Some I found a little difficult to believe. They said thier remit is to stop the spread of the invasive fungus but not the breeding and general control that the signal crayfish has. Thier argument for this is the native crayfish is still to prolific here to justify the risks associated with potentially harming them whilst trapping :hmm: basically I was given the impression that my attempts to do this were pretty pointless as there are no areas locally to trap !! The nearest place will be west Sussex ................GUTTED :no:

Edited by mpk